facebook

greek life going away

by: Hello

Is it true that greek life here is fading? Trying to decide if I want to join a frat next year. Heard its expensive and not really worth it?

Posted By: Hello
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: UIUC   

numbers are down. not sure why. maybe increasing dues.

By: UIUC
by: statistics, real onesFeb 4, 2020 7:51:20 PM

The number of high school graduates will lower yearly between now and 2023. This may lead to a decrease in the number of students who are eligible for/interested in 'Going Greek" at ANY university. Nationwide, formal recruitment sorority quotas are now set to maximize the number of eligible new members and increase membership rolls.

By: statistics, real ones
#2  by: Bro   

I would say it’s still worth it

By: Bro
#3  by: Drop   

Had to drop. Not worth it for a few social things each semester. Got lots of my own friends. Don’t have to buy them.

By: Drop
by: BroJan 21, 2020 12:29:20 AM

“Few social things”? What fraternity were you in lmao? IMO the fraternity experience is worth it, you can make life long friends that you can go on trips with, go to bars with, and meet sorority girls with

By: Bro
#4  by: No Way    

The frat/sorority/Greek experience at Big 10 school is amazing. You will have many social activities available and opportunities to meet new people that won’t happen if you don’t join a frat.

By: No Way
by: HelloJan 21, 2020 8:43:45 PM

So I won’t meet people unless I’m in a frat? And I’ll meet better friends if I pay thousands in dues? Hmmmmm

By: Hello
by: mistakeJan 21, 2020 9:05:57 PM

Meeting people is free.
Pooling your resources so that you can have nice things and great events is not.

That applies everywhere, not just in fraternities.

And the whole money complaint is BS, I went Greek and my parents spent literally zero dollars on my college education (ie they were low income). And hell yeah, it was worth it.

By: mistake
#5  by: Everywhere   

It’s not just here..it’s declining nationwide. Peeps are tired of paying thousands for a few friends

By: Everywhere
by: HaJan 22, 2020 2:09:10 AM

Lol same guy replying in every comment like he is a different person when it is so obvious that he is not

By: Ha
#6  by: whatever    

Greek life is not for everyone but some of us are loving it!!!! Others do better outside the greek system, it’s not one size fits all for sure.

By: whatever
#7  by: Toxic   

Why would anyone want to be a part of a constant environment of My house is better than your house. How old are ya’ll again?

By: Toxic
#8  by: Uiuc   

It’s a shame they don’t see the constant ranking is hurting the whole Greek system.

By: Uiuc
#9  by: ALRRT   

Geed post !

By: ALRRT
by: YesJan 26, 2020 7:26:06 AM

I’m going to agree with you, Geed is all over this! Missing out on the the fun parties & trying to rationalize lack of social life. Not our fault bro...

By: Yes
#10  by: yes and no   

Greek life is declining, but it goes in cycles, so this is normal. It was big in the 80s, shrank in the 90s, back in the last decade and now it's shrinking again. I'd say try it out. If it's not for you, you can drop, but it's definitely at least worth trying

By: yes and no

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.