facebook

Genuine Advice for PNMS

by: Sororities

First it's important to understand how recruitment works at TCNJ. TCNJ does a mutual selection system. How that works is that after each round, you rank the sororities in order of how much you liked them, and the sororities rank you in order of how much they liked you. If you rank a sorority high and they rank you high, you're likely getting invited to the next round. Sororities also only have a limited number of spots to invite people to the next round, so a sorority may have really liked you, but if all of their spots for the next round have been filled up by people they ranked higher than you, then you will not be invited to the next round.

Because of the mutual selection system, on pref night it is very likely that your top 2 sororities should be ones you would like to join and ones that want you to join. Even if you get your 2nd choice on bid day, it's important to keep an open mind. They're your 2nd choice for a reason (you liked them enough to keep ranking them high and they liked you enough to keep ranking you high among other girls), so you should accept the bid, give them a shot, and if you're not happy after a few weeks, drop before initiation. Honestly, if you receive a bid from any of the top 6 sororities on campus (in no particular order they are DPHIE, KD, ZTA, SK, AXID, DZ), you should accept the bid and try it out even if they weren't your first choice. All of these sororities have negative things written on their individual greek rank pages, but it is very likely you'll have the best time being a part of one of these sororities because they are all involved on campus, have good relationships with other greek orgs, and have good sisterhood.

However, you may fall into the category of people who have Theta and Tri Sig on pref night. Typically those who have Theta on pref night also have Tri Sig on pref night. This is because these are the 2 bottom tier sororities on campus. However, if you receive a bid from Theta, this likely means one of two things: One is that you're actually a good fit for Theta; You like Theta and Theta likes you. Yay! You should take the bid, regardless of the sorority's tier. If you made good connections with Theta girls during rounds, then their rank shouldn't matter to you. Generally, people think that Theta girls have good vibes, aren't boring and go out to mixers, and are really tight-knit group with good sisterhood.

Or, receiving a bid from Theta can mean that on pref night, Theta and Tri Sig were your two options, so you put Theta first only because on a campus level, Theta is more popular than Tri Sig. If you truly felt you did not make at least a few good connections at Theta, do not take the bid. Don't accept a bid from Theta just because you don't want to be in Tri Sig. Decline the bid, see who's COBing, give the sororities who are COBing a shot, and if you still don't like any of them, try recruitment again next year.

If you receive a bid from Tri Sig, then this likely means you had a pretty bad recruitment season. This sorority is just the leftovers from recruitment because all the other spots in the other sororities got filled up. No one ever goes into recruitment wanting to be a Tri Sig, and when people receive a bid from Tri Sig, most decline. Or if they accept the bid, most of the pledge class actually drops before initiation. Everything about Tri Sig on their greek rank page is true. Decline the bid, and wait to see who's COBing/wait until next recruitment to try again.

Posted By: Sororities
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: student   

this is probably the realest post on greek rank.
i want to add that if ur a PNM, recruitment and going through the new member process is super different from actually being a member. u really get to see the sorority's true colors and its problems once ur an initiated member and have been in it for like a year. my advice is that if you accept your bid, talk to older members and get their honest opinions about things BEFORE you get initiated. the quality of greek life at tcnj has been on a decline ever since the pandemic hit so all sororities are kinda in a weird place right now, but most sororities want to improve themselves and with recruitment being in person again you'll probably be a part of a good pledge class with girls that want to fix things. if the older members you talk to have a lot of negative things to say and your pledge class isn't interested in improving things, definitely drop the sorority. i'm part of a sorority that seemed fine at first but after being in it for a couple years now, there's so many problems that need fixing and these girls have just given up and don't care. if i knew my sorority would be like this i would have never joined, so don't make my mistake.

By: student
#2  by: Sorority   

I don't really think this is true. I know I am a hypocrite for commenting on Greek rank and feeding into it when I am against it, but rankings are really all BS and as an upperclassman in my org, I wish younger girls understood that. Each group of girls has something to offer. If more PNMs went into recruitment with an open mind and no preconceived notions, I wonder how different things would be. Mentioning the "top 6" sororities on campus implies that they are all equal, but SK and axid are not comparable to the rest of them. Theta could not be more different than sigma. If you're happy somewhere, be happy there. You are in college for only 4 years and there is no point in letting which sororities are "cool" dictate that experience. Follow your heart.

By: Sorority
by: tcnjFeb 8, 2023 1:46:56 PM

you say the rankings are BS yet admit that SK and axid are not comparable to ZTA, DZ, KD, and deeph. whether u admit it or not, sorority rankings ARE ACTUALLY IMPORTANT. it’s important for PNMs to ask themselves “y are the top sororities considered the top, and y are the bottom considered the bottom?” rankings are important because they actually tell PNMs a lot about the quality of a sorority.

the top sororities on campus didn’t just become the top sororities for no reason. for instance years ago deeph used to be considered a bottom tier sorority, and now it’s considered top. this is because they worked hard to improve their imagine, their sisterhood, their relationships with other greek orgs, their involvement on campus, and their chapter size. DZ, KD, and ZTA also possess these qualities which is why they’re also top. if sk and axid were just a little more involved on campus, then they would also be considered top because they actually possess most qualities of a top org. WHEN YOU’RE PAYING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS A SEM TO BE IN A SORORITY, YOU WANT TO ACTUALLY MAKE SURE YOUR GETTING SOMETHING FOR YOUR MONEY, AND THE TOP AND MID SORORITIES PROVIDE THE EXPERIENCES MOST PNMS ARE LOOKING FOR WHEN THEY WANT TO JOIN A SORORITY.

theta and tri sigma are bottom because they severely lack the qualities of a top sorority. they unfortunately get a lot of leftover girls from recruitment who just want to be in a sorority for the letters but not actually want to do any of the events or requirements. at least theta has a decent amount of mixers, good sisterhood, and a good chapter size. plus all the girls seem to have mostly the same vibe so they seem really close. tri sigma is honestly just a lost cause at this point and offers nothing to its members, which is why it’s on it’s way out soon. who the hell would want to pay hundreds of dollars in dues a semester to get literally nothing out of your membership?

being in a top or mid sorority doesn’t necessarily mean a pnm is guaranteed be happy in it, but the top sororities tend to be the best quality sororities. a pnm is most likely have the most fruitful experiences being a part of one of them, which is why the OP of this discussion is saying that receiving a bid from any one of them is a good thing and should at least be tried.

By: tcnj

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.