facebook

suggestions for the new shocked gdis

by: SMU sweetheart

We've all seen you. Walking to your classes, frowns on your pretty little faces, looking dead like zombies. Law students have been innunated with requests for DNRs because so many of you just don't want to go on living. I get that. I would feel the very same way if I hadn't had a perfect rush and gotten in to the very top sorority. No, I'm not going to tell you which one, just know it's not that dreaded #7 or #8.

Now for the suggestions. First, study. Make excellent grades. That's going to help you a lot more than a sorority in the long run.

Second, go out. Grab some of the other zombies that didn't get a bid to a top house and go out. Have some fun.

Third, get involved. There are a million clubs and interest groups at SMU. Find something you're interested in and devote some time to it. Besides helping you get an internship or a job, you'll make some new friends.

Seriously, I think that the posts about how sad all the girls are that didn't get their top sorority picks probably have been written by one momma, the above is good advice for any college freshman. Also, most of the girls you were friends with before rush will still be your friends. They just won't have the ulterior motive of sizing you up for their sorority.

Posted By: SMU sweetheart
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: GDI Spring SMU Semester   

As a newly shocked GDI, SMU has really changed this Spring semester. All of the sorority PCs have become harsh cliques. They eat together in the cafeteria, sit together in class, study together and go to pee together.

My roommate is in a PC, so most nights I am alone in my dorm room. We used to do things together, now she does not have the time. Between Chapter & PC meetings, mixers, parties and other PC activities, they are too busy to hang with GDIs.

We (GDIs) are a group of @300 who stay in dorms & watch TV streaming, the Bachelor & Shopping Network. Pretty depressing knowing our parents paid almost $50 grand for this semester. Most of us (GDIs) are now mostly concentrated on which university we will transfer to this Summer or Fall.

The university & Panhellenic have not committed Newly Shocked GDIs any time or a budget for social activities during this semester. There are a few basketball games to attend and Program Council may have movies or an event or two. We are the forgotten.

We paid almost $50 grand for this semester and feel like the university is asking & waiting for us to leave. Clearly the university for the Spring semester relies on Greek Life almost exclusively for student's social life. GDIs time in the evening is spent deciding on which university to transfer next semester. We are concerned about "stranger danger" in such a big city, so most of us do not leave the campus at night.

We are all stunned the university risks loosing almost 300 freshmen girls each calendar year to GDI shock. Looking back, Panhellenic is to blame for not being "more forthcoming" about the limited true openings for the top 6 legacy-saturated sororities to 750 PNMs. The university is to blame for scheduling recruitment to entrap 300 girls for 2 exorbitantly expensive semesters. Then both dropping us with limited social events or activities for the captured Spring semester.

By: GDI Spring SMU Semester
by: SmhJan 31, 2020 7:25:16 AM

Why in the world would anyone pay this kind of money for SMU, with or without a sorority?
You should be mad at yourself for making such a ridiculous investment with poor returns. This is a school for spoiled kids who couldn’t get in anywhere decent and knew no one would care what car they drive at a state school. I’m sorry you are hurting but why in the world did you go here? You wanted the elite SMU experience. That was your mistake.

By: Smh
by: @newly shockedJan 31, 2020 10:17:36 PM

You idiot. You have 300 girls to hang with. That's more than the sororities. So hang out with them. Make your own fun. That's what sororities do. Have a party in your room or reserve a room in one of the buildings. Have a study party. A movie night. Sign up for intramurals. Invite a floor in a boys dorm over for pizza. All I can say is that the sororities knew what they were doing when they left you girls bidless. You have no personalities and seemingly can't think at all for yourselves.

By: @newly shocked
#2  by: JA   

Hello again, Mom of GDI. Great copy and paste skillz.

By: JA
#3  by: translation   

Read as: I am owed a social life handed to me because I am only capable of participating in what my parents have arranged and paid for all my life. I am now on my own in my first independent experience in the real world, but my parents can't arrange and pay for my life like they used to. They also haven't taught or encouraged me to be proactive in anything except blaming others when things don't go my way. I am shocked, lonely, and must transfer out of this situation.

By: translation
#4  by: What?   

I just reread this. "
The university & Panhellenic have not committed Newly Shocked GDIs any time or a budget for social activities during this semester. There are a few basketball games to attend and Program Council may have movies or an event or two. We are the forgotten."

WHAT? You think the university is going to set aside a budget for girls who think they're too good for some sororities?

And time? WTH is that? You want Panhel to commit time to you?

By: What?
by: GDIJan 31, 2020 12:11:18 PM

There are almost 300 of us this semester. We make up almost 1/3 of the tuition-housing paying female freshmen class. Yes, we have generously paid the university for a well-rounded education. This includes a structured Spring semester social life for GDIs.

Clearly the university for the Spring semester relies on Greek Life almost exclusively for student's social life. GDIs time in the evening is spent deciding on which university to transfer next semester. We are concerned about "stranger danger" in such a big city, so most of us do not leave the campus at night. We deserve a budget to fund activities for GDIs during the Spring semester.

By: GDI
by: Shut up you CommunistJan 31, 2020 3:24:45 PM

Do you know how many Greek events are actually registered with the school? Less than 10%. Are you involved with any clubs? Have you thought about joining AKPsi, ∆∑∏ or Theta Tao? Have you thought about maybe doing a club sports team? Getting with a few of these 300 people and doing something together? Maybe even starting your own social club? Sorority dues cost $2000+ a semester, that is plenty of money to do stuff with. Do you have a boyfriend who is in a fraternity that can get you into parties? Do you even have a friend group?

Where is this money from Panhel going to come from? The school does not fund social events for students almost ever unless there is a sponsor. You don't deserve any compensation, I'm paying $4000+ a year for social activities through dues. You can use that money that you didn't pay to do whatever you want socially.

By: Shut up you Communist
#5  by: TA   

Most of us do not leave the campus at night. We deserve a budget to fund activities for GDIs during the Spring semester.

Are you out of your mind???????

By: TA

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.