facebook

question regarding geography

by: Curious

Trying to figure out why top sororities at SMU would not want to include more girls from outside of the Park Cities in their ranks ? My guess is that the more girls from out of state that want to join , the better your sorority would be ? Wouldn't the Theta's and KKG and Pi Phi's want "the best" the school has to offer ? Why would they limit themselves to locals ? Guessing there are many girls from St.Louis, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, Cincinnati that actually might fit in these sororities even more than vs. some of the locals.... Curious.

Posted By: Curious
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Curious   

I am trying to understand the climate. It does seem like a girl from OOS will have a harder time. Good to know . Thank you for responding.

By: Curious
#2  by: NSIGHT   

Here is a more basic $$$ driven answer to your question. All sororities have alumni consulting, supporting and advising them. You are correct - diversity and getting a great mix of quality members is important. But the underlying truth is that the houses have to sustain themselves and the advisors feel (and I do not totally agree) that local members may stay in town while out of state members may not and that the potential "in town" alumni will be more supportive of the house. So the advisors create a formula based on taking what they see has the highest quality pledge class but also keeping in mine that they need to sustain the chapter for the future. ( With volunteer hours and financial support). TRUTH

By: NSIGHT
by: ^Oct 24, 2018 2:42:51 AM

I agree with this and do think that local girls will be around more to support the house. OOS girls are way more likely to move away after college and maybe not even come back for reunions. My mom's pledge class from the 90s still gets together and has a high rate of participation. If you have too many OOS girls that doesn't work.

By: ^
#3  by: greek geek   

The collegiate members are the ones who vote on their new members. If there is a chapter where you have 30 girls from your high school, you will probably have an easier time getting in because so many people know you. But with there being so many OOS girls at SMU, it is really easy to level the playing field. First semester get involved and meet as many people as possible in all groups. That way when you walk in the door, they know you. It isn't so much as where you are from as it is how many people you know. You control the number of contacts you make first semester. Good luck.

By: greek geek
#4  by: truth   

OOS girls at every school have a hard time. This is true everywhere. And not necessarily OOS but Out Of Network might be a better way to describe it. Different regions have feeder schools (top tier public and private) to SMU and if they have active sorority members, then those girls push hard for their hometown girls. It's that simple. Someone with no connection, even if they are great looking/good grades/awesome social media/right clothes/all of it, they will struggle to get into a "top tier" house. Think about it: if you are an active in a sorority and your former high school is large enough and prestigious enough to send a handful (or more in the Park Cities' schools case) of girls to SMU, you are going to latch onto that awesome girl from cheerleading or some club that you know and was a grade behind you. You might LIKE another girl who checks every single one of the boxes, but in the end, you are going to be in bid sessions pushing for that one girl. The number of bids are limited and every girl in the chapter has that one girl. This is really not unique to SMU and so I don't understand why that bitter mom comes on her whining about what happened to her daughter all the time. If you want to be in a top sorority, then you need to go to a school where you know people. Every girl at every school going through rush needs someone to champion her and push her through. That's how it works. It's a universal truth.

By: truth
#5  by: smoo   

There are more girls from each of the cities you mentioned in the top tier sororities than local girls from park cities. Each sorority has girls from all over the country. They choose girls based on how well they fit in the house and know the members, not where they are from.

By: smoo

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.