facebook

sorority rankings(?)

by: Confused

Can someone explain to me what exactly makes the sorority rankings the way they are? Just specifically on this site I feel like things are kind of skewed differently from how I personally initially saw things to be. I mean they're maybe roughly the same but there's some where I'm like... how is that house "above" this other one. You know? Like is it more based on how cute the girls are, how wealthy, longtime reputations, or what?? I just don't get it. Honestly it's kind of the same with the frats too.

Posted By: Confused
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Mom    

I'm too old to be posting on this site but since you asked, the "rankings" at SMU haven't changed AT ALL in 40+ years:

Pi Phi / Theta / Kappa are "tops" for a number of reasons, but their staying power at the top has been the tremendous backing of very powerful alumnae in Highland Park/ Preston Hollow. Period. Those women are the gatekeepers into the chapter for Dallas PNMs and if you're not the most popular/ wealthiest/ from the "right" families, they aren't interested.

Tri Delta & ChiO have always been just a step below. Influential alumnae (and extremely aggressive alumnae in ChiO's case), but not as "society" as Pi Phi - Theta - Kappa.

DG has always been right in the middle. Decent sized alumnae presence in Dallas (but not aggressive recruiters). The house draws a lot of girls from states where DG is a powerhouse like California. I've always assumed those SMU DG's are moving back home after graduating. They have a loyal chapter alumnae group as they are able to build the new house- just not as much local as the top 5.

All other houses have always been below DG. Little to no alumnae presence or influence, much less alumnae money going into the chapter as evidence by not having new houses.

When you're at SMU you think the current chapter Members hold the destiny for each chapter's reputation but there is so much alumnae stuff behind the scenes and over the decades that the Dallas women ultimately control the rankings. It's weird. I can't think of another school where there has been absolutely zero "tier" movement in 40+ years. Even UT Austin- PKT and Big 6 are pretty set in stone, but the mid-tiers have fluctuated a lot.

By: Mom
by: Huh?Jan 15, 2018 9:19:57 PM

Theta above Phi phi

By: Huh?
by: lolJan 25, 2018 10:55:00 AM

some houses haven’t even been on this campus for 40+ years so not sure how this can be accurate

By: lol
by: Just wonderingJan 25, 2018 5:32:46 PM

My understanding was always that alumnae were not supposed to have contact with chapter members during recruitment. Would you be able to elaborate more on how they are able to have such influence over recruitment if this is the case?

By: Just wondering
by: HahahaJan 25, 2018 9:45:07 PM

At just wondering,

Sometimes nationals will send people to assist during recruitment. These are people that actually work for the sorority, were members themselves, and are there to assist in prepwork, matching or dealing with nationals.

If you're talking about alumni chapter showing up and saying things like "take this girl because XYZ" or "drop her because ABC" that's a big no no.

By: Hahaha
by: Old sororitiesAug 29, 2020 9:31:31 PM

Y’all forget SMU had ZTA, ADPI, KD, DZ, phi mu, and MORE back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.....and ZTA apparently was a powerhouse. It’s not as set in stone as everyone thinks. Plus AXO only arrived in the 90s, very little history on campus as compared to the others although they have a supportive alum network

By: Old sororities
by: Really?Mar 31, 2021 10:51:34 AM

If zeta was a powerhouse what happened? Was it a scandal that had them leave the campus or something else??

By: Really?
#2  by: sigma   

Rankings as of PC 19
Top:
Theta
Kappa
Pi Phi

Mid:
Tridelt
Chi O/DG

Lower:
AXO

Bottom:
GPhi

By: sigma
by: kitez and keyzJan 26, 2019 8:47:09 PM

^^^^ ya

By: kitez and keyz
by: wrongJan 26, 2019 8:48:53 PM

Theta is down now. Their PC’19 pledge class is horrific. Not to mention their COB’s. Tragic. Kappa is 1, then Theta, then Pi Phi.

By: wrong
by: MisssssJun 30, 2020 1:17:17 PM

Theta is mid at best

By: Misssss
#3  by: TBH   

Kappa, please stop! Your insecurity is showing. Your new pledge class is average at best. You're lucky to still be ranked third.

By: TBH
#4  by: Confused   

Why is kappa top? Dancing naked in front of each other and being shallow is top?

By: Confused
by: LolFeb 14, 2019 11:56:37 AM

If you want to be around genuine and intelligent people take the traditional ranking and flip it

By: Lol
#5  by: K    

So no one answered the question. Wasn’t asking about ranks! This wasn’t meant to give people the opportunity to up their house. Re read the question

By: K
#6  by: hmmm   

Would you agree the alumnae and nationals have that much input over top houses here still? Little creepy....

By: hmmm
by: Yes Feb 16, 2020 10:39:23 AM

Although agree things changing & tridelts are challenging top 3 status quo, agree alumni appears to have more input at SMU when compared to other schools.

By: Yes
#7  by: Appleoranges88   

Kappa pi phi theta ( depends on personal opinion)

Tri delt Chi o

Dg

AXO

Gphi

By: Appleoranges88
by: MisssssJun 30, 2020 1:15:25 PM

Def Pi Phi and Kappa. Then chi-O, tri delt, Theta. Theta used to be better and now it hard hard for them to even make quota. Sad.

Also, no most houses do not really pay attention to what alum has to say about recruitment. UT they still do but not SMU.

By: Misssss
#8  by: Listen up   

Kappa is LIVING on here. Here’s the real rank.
Theta
Pi phi
Kappa
Tri delt
Chi O
DG
Axo
Gphi

By: Listen up
by: hiiiSep 6, 2020 6:30:09 PM

FINALLY an exactly accurate ranking thank u 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

By: hiii
#9  by: 2020 truth   

Pi phi/Theta (very different, depends on opinion)
KKG
Tridelt/chi o
Dg/AXO
GPHI

By: 2020 truth
by: PNMs u gotta hear thisSep 6, 2020 6:36:07 PM

These 2020 rankings on pg 2 are def the most accurate. Ask anyone at SMU (except a Kappa lol cause they’re butthurt) and they’ll tell u this is the ranking. also, i’m in a middle/lower tier sorority so i’m not biased toward my house. just want everyone to know what’s up

By: PNMs u gotta hear this
#10  by: Here’s the reasons    

Theta and Pi phi are the top at SMU because both chapters raise huge amounts of money for their philanthropy (theta more so than pi phi in this department), have the highest return rates, and strongest sisterhood. They also have the wealthiest alumni and strongest history. These two sororities get their pick of all of the PNMs and everybody wants them. They get what they want and that’s why they are top apart from the other things I mentioned. They also both have beautiful houses. Theta is also very high in grades pi phi is high in campus involvement and theta runs SMU look so there’s that as well.
Kappa- nobody really knows why they are top except for the fact that they are also rich and the name keeps them at the bottom of the top. Literally nothing else to offer. Would be bottom w out their history.
Tri Delt- they are super hot (j like theta and pi phi) and guys LOVE them ( j like pi phi and theta) I personally think they should be considered lower top. They also recruit very well.
Chi O- strong sisterhood, but super split in their vibe if that makes sense. They are always a good choice and are smart as well. Half are partiers the others aren’t, super involved on campus

Gphi Axo and DG all have the same traits as since they are lower bottom they make up for it by winning lots of Greek awards. Involved for sure

By: Here’s the reasons
by: ??Jul 9, 2020 2:11:09 PM

this is really cute, theta.

By: ??
by: KnowmystuffAug 28, 2020 6:11:59 PM

Looks like Theta has been spending all its quarantine time on GR.

By: Knowmystuff
by: graduated gdi Sep 6, 2020 6:39:06 PM

agree with all of this except that tri delt should be a top house..... that’s just funny

By: graduated gdi

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.