facebook

the new row/greek village

by: Rowena

Let's say that 50% of the Wofford student body belongs to Greek organizations. That's roughly 650 of the almost 1300 members of the student body. Let's also say that Wofford's leadership is trying to elevate the reputation of Wofford academically and athletically (and aesthetically too $$$) So Wofford wants to continue to attract the best and the brightest students who will thrive at Woco and then give back to the University after they graduate. NOW let's say that the leadership also decides to build their own Greek Village, asking the organizations and their alumni to fund these little houses. And then Woco leadership says, "great, thanks for the money kids but you still have to pay rent, wink at the security cameras from time to time, and, no, no band parties here, no parties, really. And don't even THINK of engaging in any college fun like, you know, kids tend to do." I am a best and brightest student and I would tell Wofford to kiss my ass and go to a different school because Wofford is uptight and no fun. And the dorms SUCK and the food SUCKS and some of my professors have absolutely killed my love of learning (remember my 34 ACT and 3.87 GPA you liked so much?) Great job Samhat and Biggers. You're ruining Wofford. SENIORS - IF YOU HAVENT DECIDED YET, DON'T COME TO WOFFORD.

Posted By: Rowena
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: YEs    

I am one to usually have a great attidude about everything but this year has been AWFUL. I'm a girl who could not even go through recruitment because apparently a 3.3 is "too low" to get a bid (seriously?). My experience thinking wofford was a sweet, southern school was NOT at all what I am getting. Not the school it was when my relatives went here less than a decade ago. SO horrible.

By: YEs
by: xoxoApr 26, 2016 10:50:31 PM

If you cannot make a 3.3 as a first semester freshman than you probably should not be at this school. So many whiney freshman that got into woco cause they're daddies are paying all 60K or whatever high number it is now are mad bc they can't get bids to the sorority that usually gets those girls anymore. Unless you're really smart and get some sort of merit scholarship DO NOT COME HERE.

By: xoxo
by: ...Apr 28, 2016 5:19:08 PM

This poster must be really bitter about something considering the highest first semester GPA that any sorority had was either a 3.0 or a 3.1 (not all were that high).

By: ...
by: ...May 9, 2016 9:35:59 PM

you needed a 2.5 to rush but a 3.2 to not take at least some cuts for grades. If you have under a 3 DDD is probably the only one you can get a bid to.

By: ...
#2  by: Yep I said it    

I am sorry, but I cannot help but support Dean Bigger and Dean Hammitt on this one. As a first year student here in a "strong" sorority, I have not even been able to get over how horrible the greek system is here and have thought about going inactive every day. A school this size does not need to create "clicks" here in the way the greek system does and exclude people the way it does. This school is the size of a high school and can you only imagine how hurtful it would be to be "cut" and told you're "not good enough" for something? It makes my skin crawl that next year I will have to tell girls that they want to be a part of my organization no. I know that some would argue that everyone finds their place, but I have plenty of friends that wound up without bids this year, which is crazy because half the sororities here did not even make quota? The administration is doing its best to make wofford an inclusive community and students here are "upset" because they cant hang flags or label themselves, or hang out in houses that only their selected members are allowed in? Sounds like kindergarten to me. The students here think they know everything and if they would only listen to where the administration is coming from....Just my two cents.

By: Yep I said it
by: To "yep I said it"Apr 26, 2016 2:05:39 PM

You are wrong about the administrations ambitions for the school, as someone who is actually in the know regarding where the administration sees this school in 10 years.

By: To "yep I said it"
by: Yep, me tooApr 26, 2016 4:39:10 PM

Really, Greek organizations that PAID for those houses to be built by their members and alumni and will pay rent can't hang their flags or letters? That's absurd - Greek organizations have been wearing and showing their letters and symbols for more than 100 years. Zeta and Theta made quota . . there is a house for every girl here - unfortunately maybe they would rather quit that take a DDD bid but that is crappy on their part. If recruitment makes your skin crawl then you have NO BUSINESS being in a sorority. NONE and I hope you are not in mine. When you sign up for recruitment you are well informed that you might not get a bid, you might not find a house that fits you. That's how it goes - like when you try out for baseball or basketball or tennis you are not entitled to make the team. You make the team if you fit.

By: Yep, me too
by: sparklecity Apr 26, 2016 6:08:55 PM

I could not agree more with Yep I said it. I am also in a "strong" group (but again every girl here is awesome!) and can't help but feel guilty about everything. Its so cutthroat, I cried over multiple girls getting cut in the fall and it was the worst thing I've ever been through. And seeing them around campus later... it is such a small school. Make me sad that people, including myself, have been guilty of exclusion. Never thought about quitting until recenty with all this happened. All so sad.

By: sparklecity
#3  by: Yep, me too   

PS - I don' care how Wofford will be in 10 years. I am here NOW . . but maybe not for long.

#4  by: Yep, me too   

PS - I don' care how Wofford will be in 10 years. I am here NOW . . but maybe not for long.

#5  by: To Yep, me too   

It makes me sad to see how hateful you are. That person just expressed their sadness in regards to the current state of the greek system and you lash out at them like that.

By: To Yep, me too
#6  by: Wonder   

Why are greekrank posts from four years ago popping up over and over to push this topic down? It's finals NO one cares who parties with whom and which of the four sororitys on campus are number one.

Is that you, Biggie?

By: Wonder

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.