facebook

goin greek

by: co2018

what's rush week like for sororities? hazing?

Posted By: co2018
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: active   

Not sure what you mean by "rush week" - do you mean the week after you get your bid or the actual process of rush?

The process of rush is definitely a whirlwind and can be pretty hard to go through emotionally, but you do get to meet tons of girls and the process of finding your 'home' is very exciting. This year we only had three nights of rush - Video Night, where you went to all sororities and talked to girls and then watched a video, Skit Night, where you went back to up to five sororities and talked to girls/watched a skit, and Preference night, where you went back to up to two sororities and they did their preference ceremonies, which are beautiful formal ceremonies celebrating sisterhood. Cuts were made each night by how you ranked the groups and how they ranked you.

For the week following bid day, it's pretty much a giant celebration. No hazing unless you're in Kappa! Mostly post-rush week is just tons of parties both with your sisters and going to all the different frats. Expect to be spoiled and see lots of girls walking around in bid day tank tops :)

By: active
by: co2018Aug 23, 2014 12:16:25 PM

oh okay, thanks. where i'm from rush usually lasts a full week (philanthropy night, pref night, blah blah blah). how expensive is it to be in a sorority usually?

By: co2018
#2  by: active   

Yeah, ours is super short. I guess the thinking is it's already spring quarter so you know people? Or know the chapters better? Honestly I wish it was a day or two longer - cuts would be less harsh and I think conversations would be more meaningful.

Dues are usually between $400-$600/quarter. This doesn't include expenses like apparel, trips and retreats, etc. For housed sororities, you pay housing fees in addition but they aren't really different than what you'd pay to live in a dorm anyway.

by: 4682Aug 25, 2014 2:27:33 AM

Woah, check on those numbers. My dues are not anywhere near $400-600.

By: 4682
by: activeAug 25, 2014 10:27:25 AM

oops, sorry, I was thinking of dues for another group I'm in. Soror dues are between $200-$250 a quarter.... #summerbrain

by: wanna go greekAug 25, 2014 1:35:08 PM

How harsh are the cuts?

By: wanna go greek
#3  by: YesToGreek   

If a PNM can't afford the dues, is there any aid, and if so, how much do the sororities usually cover?

By: YesToGreek
by: FinanceInfoSep 13, 2014 8:02:40 PM

It honestly all depends on the chapter. Dues range, but they all hover around $200 per quarter; however, some chapters will assess (meaning they make you pay extra to attend some events) and some don't.

Regarding financial aid, it is not a standard practice, but some of the sororities on campus offer it. If you have any questions about finances, I would definitely suggest contacting ISC.

By: FinanceInfo

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.