facebook

After 4 years: I regret joining an org

by: Sorry

I graduated undergrad last month. I sincerely regret joining an org. I’m not going to make any accusations. I also don’t want anyone to think i’m dissuading others or pnms. After so many experiences, here are some reasons why and why not someone should join greek life.
Reasons why:
1) you will meet tons of people
2) you will volunteer/fundraise and do a lot of different activities.
3) Even if you’re introverted you will end up making friends (i.e. Become someone’s little, get a little, your pledge class bonding, etc). Sometimes friends can be lifelong.
4) Recruitment (the themes are fun).
Reasons why not:
1) Since you will meet a lot of people, there’s undoubtedly some of them that will choose to dislike you/bully you even if you didn’t do anything to them. The issue is that the ratio is larger than just a couple of mean kids from class. Say there’s 100 sisters in the org you meet. Say hypothetically, out of the 100 that you meet, 20+ may not come to like you. Rather than like maybe 2 kids from class being rude, now there. would be a whole large group being rude to you. That’s Because people choose to be immature.
2) I think many of us needed volunteer hours for class or to graduate, so some events will be helpful. Other times it just does not fit within your schedule. Other events like recruitment, big/little reveal will also not fit into your schedule lol. You will have to make compromises in time management and priorities. If someone says you can do it all, usually they are stressed, have more open schedules, or they often forgo something else to make it to some of these events. I’ve met people who are have demanding studies, classes, and schedules that will argue they were able to balance it all. But many of them also had no “free time” for anything else.
3) not everyone gets a big/little they like. Sadly, not everyone even gets a little at all. Some people in the orgs might have a falling out but unlike someone you can avoid in general, if they and you are still in the org, you might have to see them, talk to them and deal with them all the time still.
4) dues. If you work or have money saved, then you’re good with dealing with expenses. But realistically the price of dues sometimes really doesn’t make up for any of the experiences.
5) Recruitment lol. You’re going to talk a lot, you may lose your voice and also get really tired. The conversations are empty because of rules. People in the org and other orgs will become competitive and are poor sports. You may have to purchase certain clothes which is an out of pocket expense. (i.e., say your org’s recruitment theme involves white and pastels and you only wear neons and black. Then say You are expected to wear white heels and white shoes on the days. You may need to buy whole new outfit(s) and multiple new shoes.

There are many many other reasons. For me, the sacrifices did not outweigh any of the benefits and if I could do it all again, I wouldn’t have. Greek life is not for everyone that is for sure.

Posted By: Sorry
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Sorry   

Additionally (and disclaimer): This is not a thread to ban greek life, put down certain orgs or certain people in certain orgs. If someone told me all of these different factors when joining, this would have helped on my decision making.

Everyone have an awesome day 🩵

By: Sorry
#2  by: old money    

@sorry. It sucks you didn’t have a better experience 😪 I was going to add… another reason not to join any panhel org is this site. I joined in 2022 but the craziest part is that I rarely have heard/seen of pnms and new members going on this site. But I have seen with my own eyes, girls from EVERY single one of the orgs coming on here, putting their own comments, disliking and liking mean posts or self ranking. ALL ORGS LOL. That makes it weirder because all of them go on here at their grown age and hype themselves up or bully another group.

By: old money

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.