facebook

rush violations?

by: Future Gator Girl! :)

Hi everyone, I'm so excited to be going to SFSU in the Fall and rushing a sorority! I keep hearing about "recruitment violations" though, what are those? Is it the same as "dirty rush" because I don't know what that is either haha :) Please help, I'm so so so excited to rush but I want to know as much as possible before so I know I'm doing it right!

Also, I don't really drink all that much, is that a problem? I wouldn't think so but I really just wanted to check.

Thanks!!!

Posted By: Future Gator Girl! :)
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: sfsugreek   

Sounds like you are coming into the process with an open heart and open mind. Recruitment can be a whirlwind. All three national sororities - Alpha Phi, Alpha Gamma Delta and Phi Sigma Sigma - abide by the National Panhellenic Conference rules for formal recruitment. These groups are not supposed to promise any potential member a bid, if they do that is considered dirty rushing. Once fall semester starts all three groups should be speaking to any interested members about the entire process not just their house, if they do that's dirty rushing. The goal is to give everyone an open playing field and open mind. Hope this helps and any questions check out the NPC website.

By: sfsugreek
#2  by: :)   

Some examples of "dirty rush"/"recruitment violations", to help clarify:

-a member advertising her sorority, instead of Panhellenic (all three)
-promising a bid during recruitment
-instructing a PNM to "suicide" for their sorority (meaning to put only their sorority down on their list of choices, even if they have other options)
-contacting a PNM individually outside of recruitment (before or during)
-a Rho Gam saying which sorority she's in, or trying to guide PNMs towards and/or away from certain groups
-showing more than one video during recruitment

And some behavior that's just shady, but not technically against the rules:
-targeting freshman or new students before recruitment (i.e. wearing letters around the freshman dorms, offering "ABC Sorority Move-In Help", a banner saying "ABC Sorority Welcomes You Back To School", chalking to advertise rushing for them, etc.)
-talking about another sorority during recruitment (including asking PNMs if they have a favorite yet, talking bad about other groups, etc.)
-excessive advertising of their specific group on social media

With this in mind, have fun during recruitment! These things are rare and the sororities all know how bad these things make them look, so they don't really happen a lot. Just go with what your gut tells you, and of course keep an open mind! Best wishes :)

By: :)
#3  by: Honest   

It's your choice if you want to drink or not. I know several girls that actually never drank in my sorority and it was totally fine. Everyone respected them and it's totally your choice (: Have funnn rushing! BTW before coming to SFSU, go buy clothes where it looks like your going in for an interview or a dress where it looks appropriate to be going into an interview! Also when you rush just be you and have fun! Be open minded about all three sororities, Aphi, AGD, & Phi Sig and you'll have a great time!

By: Honest
#4  by: xxx   

Im going to be attending SFSU in the fall and Im considering joining a sorority, I love to party but I heard there isn't that much of a party scene at SFSU /: Not sure whether or not to join one... I just want to have fun and make good friends! Also any other tips about SFSU would be greatly appreciated!

By: xxx

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.