facebook

is greek life dying at wpu?

by: ???

It seem to me that for the past 12 years, WPU has lost so many Greek Organizations either by Hazing allegation, risk management violations and/ or membership declining. Last year, Alpha Phi Delta got shut down and now we lost Alpha Sigma Tau due to hazing. We are now down to only 3 NIC fraternities and 3 NPC sororities. I feel that WPU Greek Life is heading for closure in within the next ten years.

Posted By: ???
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Yes   

Greek Life is dying on campus. This school is not Greek friendly as it use to be in the past and no new Greeks want to come to WPU because they do not see it worth wild to invest in a colony that will be here today and gone tomorrow.

By: Yes
#2  by: WIlly P. Alumnus   

Greek life was thriving during the 80's and early 90's. We had a total of 12 fraternities (10 National & 2 local) and 7 sororities (6 National & 1 local). It started to decline by late 90's and well into the 2000's. There were so many Greeks on campus back then that were involved with many school events, SGA, SAPB, etc. and now to see only three fraternities and three sororities remaining is very sad. I do not see this lasting too much longer. It is now on life support.

By: WIlly P. Alumnus
#3  by: IFC   

Here is the breakdown of Greek life over the past 40 years....

Currently Active:
Fraternities: Phi Kappa Tau, Sigma Pi, Tau Kappa Epsilon
Sororities: Delta Phi Epsilon, Phi Sigma Sigma, Theta Phi Alpha

Inactive Fraternities:
Alpha Phi Delta- 1987-2013
Alpha Sigma Phi- 1980-2006/ 2009-2011
Beta Phi Epsilon (local)- 1980-1999
Kappa Delta Rho- 1991- 2005
Tau Delta Phi- 1972-1979
Tau Epsilon Phi- 1988- 1998
Tau Phi Beta (local)- 1987-2004
Zeta Beta Tau- 1981-2003

Inactive Sororities:
Alpha Sigma Alpha- 1989-2001
Alpha Sigma Tau- 1990-2015
Beta Zeta Phi (local)- 1991- 2000
Delta Zeta- 1973-1980
Kappa Beta Gamma- 1996-2002

There are way too many inactive Greeks compared to active Greeks. This is not looking good.\n\n\n\n\n

By: IFC
by: Correction.....Mar 9, 2017 12:58:29 PM

Gamma Chi was a local sorority founded at WPC in 1965. It merged with Alpha Sigma Tau in 1990 and Nu Theta Chi local sorority founded in 1958 merged with Theta Phi Alpha. Also, Theta Gamma Chi was founded at WPC in 1959.

By: Correction.....
by: Also....Aug 5, 2018 9:53:08 PM

Gamma Phi Lambda Sorority (Local) founded in 1962 to 1985 and Delta Psi Omega Fraternity (Local) found in 1982 merged with Tau Epsilon Phi in 1988 to 1998. Yes Greek Life at WPU is dying. Very sad.

By: Also....
#4  by: Greek Life isn't dying   

Why is this discussion only centered around the white fraternities and sororities? IFC and NPC aren't the only type of orgs on campus - there is UCGC (Multicultural and Latino orgs) and NPHC (Black orgs). In fact, there are many more culturally based orgs than there are historically white.

By: Greek Life isn't dying
by: becauseJan 25, 2020 8:50:50 PM

its not as fun...sorry

By: because
#5  by: Sad   

WP fraternities still HAZE. It’s horrible what they do to degrade them and break them but for what??? It needs to stop before someone seriously gets hurt then everyone will say lie don’t say anything. Would definitely not recommend to my worst enemy. So glad I changed my mind after hearing the horror stories.

By: Sad

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.