facebook

going through ffr rounds

by: PNM 16

What are things that are ok and not ok to talk about during rush rounds? Any good go to subjects? Will the girls be leading the conversations all the way? Also I'm an incoming sophomore not freshman, should I mention that right off the bat?

Posted By: PNM 16
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: hey   

Hey!

I rushed as a sophomore too so I feel you. Don't necessarily bring it up if it doesn't come up, but if they start asking what you're looking forward to about college or about your senior year then don't lie, just tell them you're a sophomore. I'm going to be honest, being a sophomore puts you at a disadvantage. There are some houses that will drop you for no reason besides that you're a sophomore, and at others you'll need to be exceptional to make it into their PC, it sucks but it's the way it is. However, there are other houses that genuinely don't care. I ended up in a house I love and we traditionally take a good number of sophomores and I think it works well for us because it helps keep the PC's from being too cliquey (I hang out with my fellow sophomores in the PC above me, and with the freshman that are in my PC). Try not to take it too personally if you get dropped, and keep your mind on the houses that do invite you back. In some ways being a sophomore felt like an advantage during recruitment because it was easier for me to be confident and talk to the other women as a peer.

As for topics of conversation, there's a few things you should avoid. Men, you can talk about your boyfriend if it happens organically but don't bring up how you're excited to meet frat guys. Avoid partying, I don't know if you partied in the GS at all last year but if they ask if you ever came just say you have some friends that you would visit and don't mention houses. Remember we join for the sisterhood first and foremost so if it seems like you're looking for something besides that it's a bad sign. Also just generally avoid badmouthing the dorms (makes you look bitter) talking about politics (just never a good topic of smalltalk) and come prepared with the answer to "so why did you decide to rush?" because every single person will ask you. Don't make it seem like you didn't make any friends in the dorms.

The active members will lead the conversation for the most part, we practice and brainstorm ahead of time so we have plenty of questions ready to ask you. It's good if you have some good questions to ask us though because it makes you seem more invested in the sorority, which is something we look for in PNMs. Some good go to's are "so what made you choose this house?" "what's your favorite sorority memory?" "If you had to change one thing about your house, what would it be?" Try to talk about your passions, your values, how much you love your friends, things like that.

This got super long but good luck and have fun! Recruitment isn't as bad as people say it is just remember to go with your gut, and honestly ignore everything you see on this website as far as rankings go. They're all worthless. They'll only make you second guess you're own feelings about a house. If you like the women then that's all that matters, they're the people you'll be living with and will become a huge part of your life over the next few years.

By: hey

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.