facebook

greek life

by: UT Austin

Y'alls greek system is terrible. Please stop pretending UT Dallas has an amazing greek life. The guys in your top "frats" would not get bids to even the average chapters here. And the girls...don't get me started with your "sorority" girls. Smh.

Posted By: UT Austin
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: SororityGirl   

Different chapters come together because of their ritual. I can't say how we "rate" compared to other chapters, but we share something. I love all of my sisters because I know we share common values. <3

By: SororityGirl
by: @truthcometJun 1, 2017 10:15:21 PM

wtf are you even saying half of your comment is censored lmao

By: @truthcomet
#2  by: beentheredonethat   

The greek system at UTD is definitely different from those of big schools. It's not about making a social statement about how "frat" you are. You'll find that most of the people who join are not in it because they want a label, but because they've found a group that shares their values and will motivate them to be their absolute best. Having a group of people around to hold you accountable for what you do, from grades to service to how you acted at a party... it puts you on your toes. You're under the microscope in the UTD community and plenty of people are aching to say negative things about the greek organization, so there's a lot of pressure to represent greek life in a positive way, and that's good for some people.

Additionally, UTD's students are VERY academically oriented. Our school gives full rides to chess players for their reasoning and logic skills instead of funding a football team, and you'll find that a lot of the students reflect that same appreciation for academics and learning over recreational activities.

By: beentheredonethat
#3  by: beentheredonethat   

That has a downside, though. It's not as easy to have social outings around here. The police are really tough to get by, and if you get in trouble with MIP's/DUI's, etc. and you're on scholarship (as many students are) you will get called in to the Dean's office, and you'll be at risk for losing your scholarship. They take this stuff seriously, plus UTD is in the process of transitioning from commuter school to a school with a lot of residents, and the social life hasn't caught up..

TLDR: Those who join aren't generally in it so they can brag about social status. They join to be surrounded by people who they respect, who will push them toward success. Our organizations offer resources for students here to mature, learn valuable life skills and leadership, and have a supportive and inspiring community. If that's not an amazing greek life, I don't know what is.

By: beentheredonethat
by: You're May 2, 2013 8:31:45 AM

a little confused if you think the Greek systems at strong Greek schools is just joined to look good and have status. Greek life provides all sorts of opportunities at those schools social and otherwise. As for academics, schools like UT, A&M, and TCU all seem to do just fine in academics and still fund strong athletics programs as well.

By: You're
#4  by: TEMOC   

UT, A&M, and TCU are all great schools that are strong in many aspects. Strength comes in age. That is something that UTD does not have yet. In time the social programs will grow, but for now the school still focuses a lot of efforts on academic (as they should).

By: TEMOC
#5  by: new recruit   

Because the CPC at UT Dallas is growing, how important are recommendation forms from alumnae? To me, UT Dallas still has the private school feel, but obviously is a public university. They offer academic scholarships to more applicants. That is not always the case with SEC or Big 12 schools.

By: new recruit

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.