facebook

sorority time commitment

by: freshman #9

I really want to go through recruitment, but I'm also involved in other student organizations. Basically, can you be in a sorority and do other things? Thanks!

Posted By: freshman #9
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: hm   

Yes, you can do other things, every single member of my sorority is in at least one other student organization (and a lot hold board positions)...buuut pledging will for sure be a big time commitment

By: hm
#2  by: pickles   

I'm not gonna lie, in the beginning it's a big commitment (not horrible, mind you), but after the new member period it tapers off in terms of things you have to go to. As a sister I had weekly chapter meetings, study hours, philanthropy (once or twice a month if I recall), rituals (not often), etc. It's not too bad.

Then there's the fun optional stuff like mixers, formals, Greek Sing, etc.

But honestly if you love your sorority you'll WANT to spend as much time with your sisters as possible and will probably end up living with them.

By: pickles
#3  by: hi!   

you're actually required to be in other organizations by some of the chapters. it's definitely a big time commitment but it's also really rewarding with the philanthropy and such. but it'll be really easy to join other things, especially after you're done pledging!

By: hi!
#4  by: A   

Nearly every person in Greek life is involved in something else on campus. SGB, Pitt Pathfinders, RSA, are a few big organizations that are popular in Greek life, and those are pretty time consuming. So if those people can do it... so can you!

It also varies by chapter to chapter. Some sororities require you to attend a lot of events, whereas others have less mandatory events. Some may participate in hazing rituals, which can take up time. Some may require you to participate in things like Greek Sing, mixers, etc. Meetings are typically once a week for 1-1 1/2 hours.

tl;dr: just go for it. it never hurts to go through recruitment and talk to sisters who are living and experiencing these things already.

By: A

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.