facebook

incoming legacy to chi omega and sigma kappa

by: incoming freshman

Just wondering which people think is better? Will I be automatically become a sister because I'm a legacy? i will try my best to impress during rushing but just wondering if it means i will most likely get to become a sister? my aunt and cousin were sigma kappas at a midwestern school and my aunt and other cousin were chi omegas at university of south carolina... does it matter if they did not go to umass? can I rush just those sororities specifically if i'm not interested in the others?I want to be in the best sorority possible so please help.

Posted By: incoming freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Good luck    

Being a legacy is exciting but not a huge deal at umass. You still have to go to all 7 chapters the first day and go through the process like everyone else, but be sure to mention your family members being in the sorority because it will give you a leg up. It does not guarantee anything however, and since they weren't at umass you aren't technically a legacy in the specific chapters. Sigma kappa is extremely selective due to being the most popular sorority during recruitment, so even as a legacy it is difficult to get a bid. Chi o has recently been more selective due to a high volume of girls wanting them but your chances of a bid there are far higher. Either way, trust the system and keep an open mind to all the chapters! Each one has something special to offer!

By: Good luck
by: lolJun 9, 2016 5:52:29 PM

1. There is a 8 soon to be 9 chapters at umass, good try!
2. If you know anything about greek life, you know legacy status isnt based on if its the same school, just that your family member was in the sorority at all
3. I can't speak for SK, but I know for Chi O we will almost always take a legacy, unless theres some crazy circumstance. For Chi O, youre only technically a legacy if your mom or sister were in Chi O, but we still note that you had other family that were chi o's.
4. Go Greek! Don't be too caught up in what people think or where you're a legacy. Go in with an open mind!

By: lol
by: Go greekJun 9, 2016 9:33:31 PM

Chi o would love to have you!!

By: Go greek
by: YayJun 9, 2016 10:42:46 PM

Sigma kappa generally accepts legacies unless they really don't fit in! SK is generally thought of us top tier while chi o is considered bottom mid but some girls would chose chi o and others would chose SK

By: Yay
by: Shut upJun 10, 2016 1:32:08 PM

To the commenter above. There is 7 soon to be 8 chapters. Sigma sigma sigma can't do formal recruitment this year so I didn't bother including them when talking about recruitment because they won't be official until after recruitment. Therefore, still 7 chapters. And while legacy status isn't based on school, I was explaining that it's not important at umass really and especially if it's from a chapter elsewhere.

By: Shut up
by: You're dumb ^?Jun 10, 2016 3:16:10 PM

It does matter at umass as its a national policy that you need to give legacy extra consideration. I'm a senior who's done the process of recruitment & because Greek life is not big at umass, legacies will almost always get bids because it's important to sororities to keep tradition alive. Im not the original commenter, but what they said is correct.

By: You're dumb ^?
#2  by: No I'm not   

Yes. They get consideration but I personally know two legacies who did not get bids to their desired chapters. It's not necessary or required at all to give them bids. It increases chances but by no means guarentees

By: No I'm not
by: ??Jun 10, 2016 11:47:25 PM

What chapters did legacies not get bids?

By: ??
by: LolJun 10, 2016 11:54:06 PM

I know two girls personally (one SK and one chi o) who were both legacies to their chapters and both got bids. I met one girl who was a kappa legacy but decided to drop them because she felt she didn't necessarily get along with them the best. I didn't hear of any other legacies not getting bids & I was best friends with a Rho gam and we discussed it.

By: Lol
#3  by: Legacies   

A girl from kappa and a girl from chi o were legacies and did not get bids this year

By: Legacies
#4  by: Dove   

Sigma Kappa here. You will only be given legacy status through your aunt. Cousins don't count as legacies in our sisterhood.
Best of luck in recruitment.

By: Dove

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.