facebook

numbers

by: Freshman sorority

Does anyone know about how many girls a house takes during recruitment at KU? I'm worried there will be too many girls and not enough spots...

Posted By: Freshman sorority
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: Truth   

Panhellenic takes the number of women still in the recruitment process in the final Preference Round, and divides it by the number of chapters (12). That number is QUOTA - and it is the same for all chapters.

Example, if there are 700 women participating in Preference Round, Quota would be 58. Each chapter could then take 58 new members.

By: Truth
by: answerJul 24, 2014 11:54:59 AM

That was answered by #8 above but people don't seem to be listening...

Why does everybody think quota is by house size?

By: answer
by: .?Jul 24, 2014 1:53:12 PM

Using your example, most houses can't absorb 58 new members, or have that many openings.

By: .?
by: aboveJul 24, 2014 7:47:47 PM

To ?: Quota is the number of new members each house tries to take during recruitment. The "absorb" whatever number is quota. If it is 58 they take 58 or more. If there are 1000 girls and quota is 84, then they'll take 84.

Try to understand. Quota = openings. Openings/quota has NOTHING to do with the size of the house. Every house takes the same number of girls (quota) unless they can't get that many and then that's not good.

Houses "absorb" quota.

By: above
#12  by: This    

This is correct....think of quota as openings.

No matter how many returning members each sorority goes into recruitment with, ALL sororities will aim to take the quota number set by Panhellenic.

Sororities don't decide how many new members they will take...Pahnellenic does by setting quota. Sorority A can't decide they only want to take 20 new members...it just doesn't work that way.

By: This
by: quota?Jul 25, 2014 11:20:44 AM

So each house takes in the same amount of new members regardless of how many are already in the house based on quota? If this is the case won't some houses keep getting larger and larger if they never lose members to dropping or transfers? Plus, a house with small numbers can only get as many new members as a house with with large numbers? Example, house A has 86 members, house B has 150, so they both get the same amount of girls from recruitment, i.e. "quota"?

By: quota?
by: NumbersJul 25, 2014 5:55:28 PM

All sororities lose a large number of seniors each year, along with some transfers and women who choose to drop. Every chapter gets to take the same number in Formal Recruitment, which is Quota. Panhellenic sets another number called Total. I'm not for sure, but I think Total is around 160 at KU.

If chapters are UNDER Total after Formal Recruitment, then they can get more members through open recruitment throughout the year. This helps give smaller chapters an opportunity to recruit more members.

A large sorority who is at or over Total cannot participate in open recruitment. The only opportunity for them to get new members is during Formal Recruitment.

Make sense?

By: Numbers
#13  by: so   

So there is a limit on how many girls per house. Someone said there was no limit, and it was all dependent on quota only.

By: so
by: omgJul 26, 2014 12:27:28 AM

Don't worry about it. You won't be dropped because there are too many PNMs. Trust me. You don't know what you're talking about and it's getting too hard to explain it to you. I'll try once more. There is no limit as to how many girls can participate in recruitment and receive a bid. The number the house gives bids to is 1/12 of the number of girls still here at pref.

Say it is 80 this year. Wow. That's more than the seniors who graduated and girls who are studying abroad. That's OK. Not everyone may get to live in, but it is what it is. Everyone here at pref gets a bid.

Houses who lost more girls and are smaller than "total" (a number set by panhellenic) can do open bidding during the year and pick up more girls. If the new member classes are exceptionally large, panhellenic will raise total so that the houses already at total and who lost the fewest numbers will still be legal. That will give other chapters below that number the opportunity to open bid a few more girls. They usually ask girls they already know who are not affiliated.

So there. You have it. No one is going to explain further. You don't need to worry, but if you can't understand why, just trust us on this.

By: omg
by: ^^Jul 26, 2014 12:40:01 AM

Why are your responses so evil? I didn't write this post or the questions but just reading them I'm thinking omg are you all this way??

By: ^^

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.