facebook

gpa

by: pnm

how much does GPA matter during rush? if its bad can it hurt you? if it is good can it help you? for which sororities does it matter most? do they even look at your GPA?

Posted By: pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: ??   

does anyone know the answer? will i get dropped automatically if my grades are below a 3.0?

By: ??
#2  by: Active sis    

As long as your gpa is above the sororities minimum requirement (around 2.4-2.7 depending on the sorority) you will be fine. I know girls who were below the requirement but still got in but it's rare

By: Active sis
#3  by: hokie   

if its really high it can help you. but if its not, it doesnt affect you that much as long as youre above the minimum. a few chapters like adpi care but for the most part the chapters dont look that much into it

By: hokie
by: ?Jan 5, 2016 8:37:54 PM

what would you consider really high?

By: ?
#4  by: tbh   

it really depends honestly. and unfortunately your major will affect that view even more. I'm an engineering major, and like had a really hard time with chemistry my first semester and got a D-, and even though I got B+/A- in all my other classes, I went into rush with a 2.1. I immediately got dropped from every chapter except for 2, even the one where I was a 5x legacy. How the rankings work, most chapters CAN'T (like aren't allowed because of their bylaws) to rank girls highly if their GPA is below their minimum. I got a bid from one of the chapters, so obviously if they really really really love you, then there will be a way. But it's going to be pretty much impossible to get into a top tier (not that that should matter, but just so you know) if your GPA is bad because of how rankings work (it really is just a numbers game). So if that bothers you, I would wait until next year. However, I encourage you to still go through rush because who knows what will happen! :)

By: tbh
by: tbhJan 6, 2016 9:27:48 AM

forgot to elaborate on the major thing:

some chapters don't take some STEM majors. because they know that a neuroscience or engineering major is going to have a lower GPA than an interior design major. It sucks, but that's how it is. Typically it's the top tier chapters, but I do know some STEM majors in top tiers, but it's like bio or chem majors.

By: tbh
by: PumpkinJan 6, 2016 1:24:50 PM

What do they think about communication majors? I will be transferring into tech as a junior during recruitment and I have a 3.9 GPA. Unfortunately, I've focused more on my grades so I haven't done much in relation to activities or philanthropy (part of why i'm joining a sorority). Do you guys think I would have a good shot of pledging one of the sororities?

By: Pumpkin
by: fJan 7, 2016 7:27:30 PM

@pumpkin- Make sure to tell sisters that if they ask! Tell them you regret not being involved enough and that you're really eager to.

By: f
#5  by: Greeeeek   

All chapters rank different. Like someone said some chapters physically cannot take members with a GPA below the requirement. It is a nationals rule for a lot of sororities. I haven't really heard major being a huge factor. With so many girls going through rush chapters don't have time to go through everyone's major. Plus rankings are done through a computer system. It is a mutual selection process. I'd focus on conversation rather than stressing over major and grades.

By: Greeeeek

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.