facebook

Serious question

by: Vet

Just got off of the Marine Corps. Coming to tech in the fall. I’m 22 and I’m thinking about rushing. How much harder Will it be to get a bid to a top tier frat as a older vet? Should I rush or not worth it?

Posted By: Vet
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Top frat   

Honestly bro, most of our guys are freshman, some sophomores, maybe-maybe one junior, all under 21 though. I couldn’t see it being worth your time. 20-30+ hours a week for pledging, 12-15 weeks, and you wouldn’t even feel comfortable with your pledge bro’s. The bar scene is where most 21 year olds go anyways. Guys rush for the parties (which you’re too old for) and for friends (seniors/guys your age gradually fade away from the frat scene, so you wouldn’t even meet them really during pledging.) It is not worth your time, don’t even honestly consider it. With the bar scene, and center street, you’ll meet friends and have a good time socially. Thank you for your service.

By: Top frat
by: VETApr 27, 2020 11:16:02 PM

preciate the well thought out and extensive answer bro. Really gives me a good perspective. I guess a had a misconception that frats were about brotherhood and building a bond that’s carries on past college for the rest of your life. Guess that’s just not the case anymore. Thanks again man. Go Hokies

By: VET
by: FratApr 28, 2020 12:05:19 PM

Responding to vet: they are about building a bond and brotherhood but I feel like you’d be a little out of touch just because of your age and you wouldn’t be able to connect as much with a 19 yo kid for example

By: Frat
by: wellApr 29, 2020 5:48:48 PM

Well, you have to have friends at tech in the first place to enjoy center street and the bar scene. It's better when you go with a group of people and that's what most people do who are in fraternities once they are late into Jr year or Seniors. It's not really fun if you're at a bar by yourself trying to make friends with hardly anyone around that you know, and that's pretty much impossible at Center where everyone's doing their own thing.

I joined a fraternity late sophomore year and honestly it was fun for me up until some time Senior year because things just got repetitive and I could just go to the bars now, it wasn't because I was old necessarily. But I was glad to know 100 people and do cool stuff through the fraternity still. I'd say go for it, it's more about meeting people to do stuff with than it is the parties and stuff in the end. You just do more stuff in college I feel like when you are in a fraternity.

By: well
by: LetJul 26, 2020 12:11:00 AM

Him join if he wants. There are a lot of advantages having a lifetime member and an a good influencer in chapter.

By: Let
#2  by: TI-84 Plus   

It is about building a brotherhood, but your pledge class is going to be mostly freshman and sophomores, and you won't be able to relate to them as well since you are already 22

By: TI-84 Plus
by: VTJul 26, 2020 12:07:12 AM

Having an older mature guy in the pledge class is an asset. Think about it: He mentioned that he is in for life already. He will probably help the younger brothers as pledges not get hazed. Late in the game members tend to be more active as alums, because they aren’t burned out in 4 years. He will probably be good friends with a lot of the upperclassmen and the leadership pledges.
We had a pledge who was a 23 yo senior and it was great since he bridged all the different pledge classes together. He saved a lot of us from getting DUIs, hazing violations and his experience, leadership and maturity helped a few having rough times. He donated lots of money as an alum. He helped later as a chapter advisor because he wasn’t burned out in 4 years. He’s a loyal brother.If he wants to join, be open.

By: VT
#3  by: Confused   

Are you going to UVA or Tech because you posted this exact same question in both places

By: Confused
#4  by: nick   

you have more potential in professional groups or honors societies. there is a more diverse membership in non-IFC frats too.

By: nick
#5  by: lol   

I heard SAE has a pledge that came from the marines too, he's 23.

By: lol
#6  by: Ohbrotheroak   

I agree with a lot of the other comments, but I still believe you can find a great brotherhood at the smaller fraternities. THey might not be considered "Top tier" and if you're aiming for that, I seriously doubt you'll find that. Some smaller/off-campus fraternities still have that connection if you try hard enough to find where you truly believe you'll fit in. One of my brothers took a year off from Marine Core and I met him for the first time and we had an incredible senior year together despite meeting for the first time.

By: Ohbrotheroak
#7  by: the boy   

rush center club

By: the boy

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.