facebook

can i join a sorority if i am financially burdened

by: CalSophomore

First off, I'd really like some genuine and honest answers. I have several friends in the Greek system, but they are well off so it's hard to ask them for a perspective. My parents have been divorced for many years and my dad doesn't pay child support. I work on campus but I'm saving money to study abroad and for my tuition/rooming. I am also on financial aid.
I am really interested in rushing and have my heart set upon it. However, I am concerned about being able to pay the dues. My friend sent me a picture of all the dues and I'm anxious about paying them on time.
So, is it possible for me to still join? Or does that mean I have to forfeit other social activities that cost money to join?
Thank you!

Posted By: CalSophomore
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: uhh   

Sounds like you're asking for too much... studying abroad too? Not even well-off kids ask for that. You should make a decision between that and joining a sorority. In my opinion, joining a sorority has longer lasting impacts in terms of social relationships and spiritual well-being than studying abroad does. Let's be honest, study abroad is nothing more than a glorified vacation.

By: uhh
#2  by: Hey   

Hi there,

I think you should take what the poster "uhh" with a grain of salt, but of course this goes for my post too. I've known people who have done both, myself included. You'll need to be resourceful. There are lots of a study abroad scholarships available for students on financial aid. You should check with the study abroad office, and the university that you'll be going to. There's also the Gilman Scholarship, private scholarship through the university, and the EAP scholarship that every student is eligible for. Sororities also have scholarships available for their members, and some have payment plans for their members that are flexible. You'll need to ask. And I'll have to disagree with "huh." I do not think study abroad is a glorified vacation. It's only that if you make it so.

By: Hey

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.