facebook

southern sororities?

by: Transfer

I'm transferring from Alabama and I'm wondering if there are any southern sororities here

Posted By: Transfer
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Bleed blue   

Look at the list of Cal sororities. About half are super strong in the south. But not all that are strong in the south are strong at Cal.

By: Bleed blue
#2  by: West Coast   

Just remember that Berkeley's vibe is VERY different from Bama's. Greek life here is a lot more chill - not as competitive as it is in the south. If you're asking what sororities here are also at Alabama, that's plenty easy for you to figure out. If you're asking which sororities here are like southern sororities, then none. Everything I've seen indicates that west coast Greek life - and especially Cal Greek life because of our unique campus culture - is a lot more relaxed and down-to-earth.

By: West Coast
#3  by: Transfer   

I noticed that ADPi, XO, and ZTA are typical southern sororities that are at Berkeley. How exactly is west coast greek life different than southern greek life?

By: Transfer
#4  by: Greek Girl   

Are you currently in a sorority or only interested in joining a southern house?

If you are currently unaffiliated, I would not bind yourself to these three houses. You should pick the one that is the best fit for you.

If you are currently in ADPI, XO, or ZTA I would contact the chapter about transferring. Not every house handles transfers the same, and there is a chance that you will not be let into the house and go alum. Remember that every chapter is different so although you may love your chapter, you may not love the one here.

West Coast greek life tends to be more laid back. There are still exchanges, date parties, sisterhoods, etc. Rush is not as intense as in the south where you have to be a legacy to get into a house.

Best of luck, and goodluck in April when transfer admissions come out!

By: Greek Girl
#5  by: Cal   

These are the Panhellenic sororities at Cal that also have chapters at Alabama:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Zeta Tau Alpha

These are the Panhellenic sororities that are at Alabama, but not Cal:
Alpha Gamma Delta
Delta Zeta
Kappa Delta
Phi Mu
Sigma Delta Tau

The only Panhellenic sorority that we have at Cal that isn't at Alabama is Sigma Kappa.

Although honestly, if you're joining a house just for it's southern or national reputation, you're an idiot. If you're already affiliated with a house on campus, then you can look into transferring, but otherwise, just go through Fall Formal Recruitment and see for yourself which chapter or chapters you connect with.

As far as west coast Greek life versus southern Greek life, it's definitely more chill here. Rush is a lot less competitive. Legacies and letters of recommendation are a lot less important here than your actual first impression. And we complain about it being strict here, but it's not nearly as crazy as Alabama. Rush is the week school starts, so PNMs don't come to school a week early to rush like they do at Alabama. And at Cal, if you stick it out through the entire process and rank every house you go to on Pref night on your preference card, you're guaranteed a bid from one of them, which I know isn't true at Alabama. continued in next post

By: Cal

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.