facebook

sophomore...didn't get a bid :(

by: rushr

Hey guys so I'm a sophomore and didn't get a bid in the spring...
I went through recruitment for fall but had to drop halfway due to personal stuff that I had to take care of. I REALLY wanted to join a sorority for the sisterhood aspect...and now I feel really depressed that I can't be in one. I feel so desperate trying to rush again in the fall as a junior...what can I do??
I feel so unwanted and pathetic.

Posted By: rushr
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Hai!   

Don't feel so sad!!! You should absolutely rush in the Fall and see all the houses. You never know what type of quotas/how many bids were given out. I heard Theta and Gamma Phi gave out historically low number of bids relative to the amount of girls that came out.

Also, you could email houses to see if they have any COB opportunities (if a girl De-pledges or De-activates, they need a person to replace that girl)

By: Hai!
by: HiFeb 4, 2014 1:31:45 AM

There are a lot of ppl I know in the sororities but aren't actually my friends...and I feel embarrassed going through recruitment AGAIN when they've already seen me rush twice. :(

And can you go into detail about COB? Do I just email them asking?

Sorry for sounding so whiny. It's just that I haven't been able to find my niche here or a group of friends like in HS and I really thought this would be a great way to find that.

By: Hi
#2  by: adsf   

not getting a bid doesn't say anything about you other than the fact that you didn't get a bid. i felt pretty angsty as well after spring rush--as unfair as it is, your chances can depend on how well-connected you are in the house anyway.
yes, there are many benefits to being in a sorority, such as a group of girl friends, leadership opportunities, community involvement, academic help, and partying--but that doesn't mean that you can't seek all these different aspects out on your own through extracurriculars.
try out some new things maybe and see if you really want to rush again in the fall. hang in there! you're saving a lot of money on tote bags and graphic tees this semester.

By: adsf
by: calgreekFeb 4, 2014 4:43:42 PM

adsf is right. Yes, do go through fall rush. The way the system works, every house will be taking a group of Juniors in the fall, so you have an excellent chance of finding your fit. In COB only some houses have room...and only a little room compared to taking 40 or so new members each in the fall. Besides having been through it before you have a feel for what to expect and should have more fun and that will work for you. It is worth it.

By: calgreek
#3  by: yo   

Go through fall rush. Spring recruitment is weird. I went through fall twice and finally got into my top house. I say try it!

By: yo
by: thanksMar 20, 2014 1:25:26 AM

Thanks! I think I'm gonna go for it, I'm kind of afraid of being judged though, especially the girls who know me and will now know this is my 2nd time rushing :/

By: thanks
#4  by: Well   

Girl! So what if they judge? Don't care what they think! If they judge you for rushing again then they're not worth your time and don't deserve to have you. You'll fit in somewhere. If this is something you want to do, go for it.

I know of girls who rushed their senior year. I was junior spring COB. Sometimes, houses don't give bids for whaaatever reason. Don't ever feel pathetic or unwanted. You are worth no less because you didn't get a bid this semester.

So TL;DR-- do what feels right, for YOU. If people judge, it's their problem.

By: Well

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.