facebook

What is Sig Sig Rho?

by: K

I’m a freshman and the insta page for sig sig rho and girls with the letters in their bio followed me and a bunch of my friends in my class. What is it? It says it’s a sorority but I can’t find anything about it on here or on any of Panhelenic’s info

Posted By: K
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Tbh    

Sigma Sigma Rho isn’t at all like a traditional/Pan sorority. They’re a “multicultural/MGC” sorority (which, every pan sorority here has women of all different backgrounds). They don’t have any social events like formals or mixers, and they don’t get to go to Panhellenic events (like pan semi) and they can’t hold any offices on Pan. They also don’t have anywhere near the amount of connections or alumnae support that Pan sororities do. Tbh it’s mostly the girls who don’t get bids during sorority recruitment. I would def avoid joining. Even if you don’t get a bid during sorority recruitment, some Pan sororities still do Spring Recruitment, and you can rerush your sophomore year.

By: Tbh
by: Really??May 18, 2020 7:52:28 PM

C'mon, dude, please tell me you at least looked a little into them? They do have social events, philanthropy events, and seem to have a good sisterhood. They don't go to Pan events or hold Pan offices, because they're not Pan. Also, it is REALLY not just girls who didn't get bids, lbr. They're v different from Pan, why are you comparing them like that? Do you even know who they ARE?? Also, are we really going to pretend that Panhellic sororities aren't largely white girls? Look, there's a race problem in Pan sororities, let's not sugarcoat it, even if we do love our sororities, there's no benefit to pretending that there isn't an issue there. (Chi O screaming the n-word, anyone?)

By: Really??
by: jMay 19, 2020 6:34:32 AM

Because Panhellenic sororities here are much more diverse and not largely white. Aside from chi os incident, that was handled well and only perpetrated by a few girls, there haven’t been any incidents of racism in pan. And MGC doesn’t offer any of the benefits that Pan offers members, like a large/successful alumnae network. It’s just not worth it to join unless you’re joining a Pan chapter tbh

By: j
by: ...May 19, 2020 2:21:22 PM

I would say check out Sig Sig for yourself and make your own opinions and reach out to a Sister if you have any questions!

IG: @musigsigrho

By: ...
by: wowwwwMay 19, 2020 2:24:43 PM

Actually as far as I know, no members have gone through pan recruitment.

By: wowwww
by: Wow....May 19, 2020 3:50:03 PM

My close friend is in sig Sig and the only thing that’s true on this is that they’re not pan. For one, they do hold a formal. For two, they hold lots of socials and mixers, they had one with lambda chi this semester. For three, none of their girls have rushed pan. One did and she rejected her bid to rush sig sig. They’re amazing girls and don’t deserve this slander just because they’re not in your council.... grow up. As a pan girl, I’ve never had a problem with them or their sisters.

By: Wow....
#2  by: MU   

Sigma Sigma Rho isn't a Panhellic or NPHC sorority, it's a part of the Multicultural Greek Council. I would respectfully disagree with the person above me, because they're focused on how a non-Pan sorority doesn't do the same thing as Pan sororities, because it isn't a Pan sorority? I would definitely recommend checking out Mercer's site for information on them and on their own website (which you can find by googling Sigma Sigma Rho Mercer and it should be the first result). The sorority as a whole is rather new, being founded in 1998. The chapter on campus is probably the newest chapter on campus, being founded in 2017. They have a very different recruitment than us, because they hold events throughout their primary week (much like we do informal or COB) and the rest of the process is rather secretive. They then present all of their new members at one point during the semester. (I'm in a Pan sorority, so I'm trying to recall what one of my friends had explained a few months ago, sorry if my explanation is vague.)

As for the chapter on our campus, they are admittedly very small, but they've taken pledge classes for both semesters and have been slowly gaining more members. (Again, they were founded only in December of 2017, so I think they're doing a pretty good job here!) They seem to have a very close sisterhood, because I see their sisters together all the time and they seem to really enjoy hanging out with one another. They also do hold events, having held a few events fall semester and having an entire week for their philanthropy. They've also held formals, mixers with other frats or sororities (including a movie night with Phi Mu and Chi O), fundraisers for their philanthropy, and won stuff at their conventions frequently. They're actually pretty passionate about their philanthropy, because they seem to dedicate a lot of time to it.

For a more traditional style review of them, they're, again, a very small chapter. Because of that, they aren't as well known, but I'd definitely argue more well known and involved than some of the other chapters here. They have a lot of really nice girls, including girls in leadership positions like Bear Force leader, RAs, Order of Omega, and student orgs like the Film Society and B.E.A.R. Most of them are friendly and involved, but not too popular yet. Their social life seems rather similar to a lot of other students, not a crazy ton but not nothing either. Their sisterhood seems really strong though, and I think they're pretty smart as well.

Please note, again, they aren't a Pan sorority, so the rules we have to follow are different than them for rush. They're not going to be like a Pan sorority, so if you have your heart set on a Pan-sorority experience, don't rush them. But if you don't, I would actually recommend on checking them at either Bear Fair or a pre-rush event, because they seem pretty cool, if you're interested in Greek life.

By: MU
by: Uh okayMay 26, 2020 5:32:38 PM

Funny that a boy would be looking at sororities at mercer? Sounds like the sig sig girls wrote it themselves. I have never seen a sig sig girl at a party at mercer in my life.

By: Uh okay
by: MUMay 27, 2020 1:01:56 PM

I literally said I'm a girl in Pan. The only parties I mentioned were formal or mixers, which are confirmed by their Instagram, because I can't speak about ANY of the sororities partying (even mine) because it isn't my scene. Quit reaching.

By: MU
#3  by: Lmao   

The fact that they’re following tons of pnms and none are following them shows that they’re desperate.
They may have “social” events but they don’t get invited to parties, and frats don’t associate w any of them

By: Lmao
by: ...May 19, 2020 12:48:10 PM

From what I heard their members following pnms to build friendships with them outside of greek life and just to help them feel more welcomes on campus.

By: ...
by: BruhMay 19, 2020 1:07:25 PM

What’s up, I’m in a frat and we love the sig sig girls. Don’t know where you’re getting your info but they’re at plenty of our parties and are honestly cooler than the pan girls who try to sleep with all our brothers.

By: Bruh
#4  by: Tbh    

Lol like 5 of the girls they took this year we’re girls who couldn’t get bids from pan sororities. The only frat that associates w them is depsi, and they’re super weird

By: Tbh
by: LolMay 19, 2020 6:39:19 PM

One of them rushed pan and rejected her bid. The rest of them weren’t even interested in pan. My sorority has no problem with them, why do you? They’re sweet girls and you’re going off for what? Get a life, sis.

By: Lol

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.