facebook

re: sorority rushing

by: Concerned parent

As a parent with a daughter who wants to participate in Fall Rush, I find myself in disbelief to what I read and what I see. 1st - I sit and wonder how a Sorority can possibly judge 1700 girls based on a 5-10 minute superficial conversation?

2nd - Is my daughter being judged only by her looks and what she is wearing at the time? How does a Sorority truly know if she would be a good fit or not based upon 2 or 3 conversations?

3rd - I sit and read all the reviews and can't belief how Sororities are being reviewed and tiers determines more by the attractiveness of the latest Pledge class vs. community service - things that truly matter. Since when does rushing become a Miss USA contest?

4th - I sit and read the reviews as one Sorority bashes another. I thought this was College and not High School?

My daughter is beautiful on the inside and out and I truly do not want this for her. I will support her only because it is what she wants.

For the record, I am not the only parent extremely disillusioned by the entire UF Sorority Rushing process.

Posted By: Concerned parent
Post Reply Report
Page 4 of 9
#31  by: OtherOther angry mom   

the problem is these girls all got into UF, so they all have great attribute....Duh...your daughter is no more special than mine...yours may even be smarter but that is not evaluated in 10-15 minutes while appearance can be..
It is just not about physical beauty...

they are evaluated on how they carry themselves, their shoes, make-up, clothing...ect. that all have to do with each sororities image....Im not saying that is a good thing, but that is the way it is.....

By: OtherOther angry mom
#32  by: Question   

Would your daughters be mortified to know you were posting about them on Greek Rank?
I thinks so.......

By: Question
by: AnswerAug 25, 2014 2:03:23 PM

No, my daughter wouldn't be mortified. She knows that I love her and my concern is genuine. Can you say the same for yourself or the rushing process?

By: Answer
by: Another AnswerAug 25, 2014 2:20:07 PM

I believe this is a public web site that acts as an open forum for UF Greek Life. I'm sorry if you have an issue with the topic of discussion. If you don't like it then don't post a comment!

By: Another Answer
by: lolAug 25, 2014 2:21:30 PM

You crazy people...this is the worst place to get advice....unbelievable

By: lol
by: Are you kiddingAug 25, 2014 2:29:35 PM

I think this whole thread is hilarious...I just think your daughters wouldn't appreciate being talked about on this site which is basically a joke....so much drama on it...I think most look at it for fun...It is mostly sororities/fraternities bashing one another or self-ranking...lol

By: Are you kidding
by: to lolAug 25, 2014 2:31:03 PM

Advice given by mature people with rational responses is welcomed regardless from where. Snide comments such as yours and others... Well, who are the crazy ones?

By: to lol
by: Are you kiddingAug 25, 2014 3:39:07 PM

Your response is part of the problem. Sororities and fraternities bashing on one another. How mature and responsible. I hope I've raised my children to be more respectful and courteous of others than what you have demonstrated.

By: Are you kidding
by: YouAug 25, 2014 3:44:01 PM

You. You're the crazy one. Your daughter got cut. get over it. That's life.

By: You
by: LOLAug 25, 2014 4:05:16 PM

The point is that you are trying to put your pain/ frustration ect. along with your daughters pain and solicit advice on an anonymous website....that is not rational......

By: LOL
#33  by: Mom and alum   

OMG I don't even know where to begin on this thread!! I am a UF sorority alum and a Mom of a daughter who recently went thru rush at another Florida school. She was dropped by most and decided to drop out and later regretted it ( my advice was for her to stick it out but it was of course her ultimate decision). I felt for her but told her how imperfect and superficial the rush process can be. She has to learn to make it on her own in this world! I really feel for some of your daughters who can clearly see how upset YOU are. This will make things worse for them. Please let them know that Greek life is not the only thing that matters at UF and encourage them to get involved in other activities as there are MANY. Looks have ALWAYS been a factor in UF rush but as others have said not the only thing. Since I joined a sorority I have seen parents threatening to sue over legacies getting dropped, parents trying to bribe a house with $$ etc and this only hurts their girls IMHO.

By: Mom and alum
#34  by: Fraternity Row   

Concerned parents: if you're worried about what sorority rush will do to your daughters, wait untill you see what Fraternity Row has in store...

By: Fraternity Row
#35  by: Well   

I am a parent. My daughter went through recruitment...was released by a couple houses...stuck with it and joined a sorority

I read through this thread and it appears that you., as parents, are focused on the "top" sorority issue, so why would your children not be as well.
There is so much "tent talk" during recruitment among the girls themselves. It is not the "top" houses that are saying things about one another/they are absolutely not allowed to do so during recruitment...it is the girls going through recruitment spreading the word and rumors...it spreads like wildfire...and in the end, my daughter found out some of it was just not true at all...
Shame on them for listening to it all

Also, you realize this is an anonymous, superficial website...people can be saying they are moms, guys, in a top sorority, lower sorority, frat, alumae, ect.....and it may not even be true...you have no idea who is posting these comments...

People will make stuff up just for fun and at your expense to see your response.

I will get off my soapbox, but if you want real sympathy and advise...please go to your friends...and your old sorority sisters.....this is embarrassing

By: Well
by: WellAug 26, 2014 1:13:49 PM

Yes, it's embarrassing for the current sororities and the rushing process. As a mother, I make no apologies. So please get off your soapbox, I never asked you for your sympathy nor was my focus on top tier sororities!

by: WellAug 26, 2014 1:36:54 PM

Why exactly did you come on this site? I don't get it.
And many of the comments are talking"Top" sororities and their daughters being released by "top" sororities...Oh MY!!!!

by: to wellAug 26, 2014 1:43:24 PM

Save your sarcasm for either those who care. I doubt there are many.

By: to well
#36  by: DUH   

You came on a site called "greek rank". If you were REALLY concerned you just would have gone to the greek life page of the university. Research on sororites can be done on their individual org pages. You sound like a big dummy.

By: DUH
#37  by: DUH   

You came on a site called "greek rank". If you were REALLY concerned you just would have gone to the greek life page of the university. Research on sororites can be done on their individual org pages. You sound like a big dummy.

By: DUH
by: Hey DuhAug 26, 2014 1:40:37 PM

Your response is exactly what I would have expected from a DUH. If you think people only watch this web site and call it gospel then you are either naive or stupid. This site appears to be only for vicious and immature people slandering each other. Therefore, your response is nothing more than apropos. I expected nothing less.

By: Hey Duh
by: DuhDuhAug 26, 2014 1:45:32 PM

To Hey Duh

You are exactly correct. That is why it is amazing that all you moms are on this site..........

By: DuhDuh
by: Hey DuhAug 26, 2014 2:14:09 PM

Get ready because the mothers have only just begun! If you think you can degrade and belittle out daughter's then guess again. We will be heard. I am so thankful my daughter got cut. I would not want her associating with the likes of you!

By: Hey Duh
#38  by: please dont engage   

Ladies...please don't engage any further in this nonsense discussion. This is ridiculous on both sides. Please end this discussion.

By: please dont engage
by: To Upset MothersAug 26, 2014 2:36:25 PM

My daughter is in a so called top Sorority, and I see a lot of bashing about top sorority girls in this thread. You are now talking about my daughter who really does not deserve it. I am a concerned mother and she is a wonderful caring daughter.
You are doing exactly what you are upset about. Making rash judgements about something you know little

By: To Upset Mothers
by: To upset motherAug 26, 2014 2:40:46 PM

You have no idea as to what my daughter has been through so please save your comments regarding judgment. Walk a day in my shoes...

By: To upset mother
#39  by: Bids   

I am told via Panhellenic that around 1400 received bids.

By: Bids
#40  by: Two cents   

Hi Moms!
From a chapter woman's perspective, I think you shouldn't judge all of UF Panhellenic based on this website. Most of the "reviewers" on here are from one of the top five houses, and yes, those houses are renowned for being superficial. But the rest of us are actually genuine and loving sisterhoods who truly to want to get to know your daughters for who they are. Round 1 interviews are short, but by the time we pref your daughters we get to spend 40 minutes with them one-on-one. I hope your daughters have found their homes amongst sisters who adore them for who they are and who believe that they have the qualities necessary to elevate their chapter. If not, I hope that they (and you) don't judge the entire system based on the nastiness of the "top tier" snobs. Also - you're not being helicopter moms, you're being great mothers. My mom called me in a panic about this webpage when I went through recruitment years ago. I'm glad for her advice and her caring, not just through recruitment but throughout college. She pushed me to accept a bid from a mid-level house rather than to fall in with a "top tier", and as usual, mom was right!

By: Two cents
by: thanks two centsAug 31, 2014 11:32:35 AM

As a Mom, I appreciate your response. I can't believe what some people have said in all these threads. It sounds as though you have a great Mom. Ultimately I think that all the Mom comments here come from the heart and the love that we feel for our daughter. My daughter accepted a bid from a mid-level tier after a lot of drama regarding and from the top tier houses. She is so happy and I am for her. I am not assuming that all girls in the top tier are all the same but I do not like what my daughter went through as well as what I have heard from other Mom's. If my daughter was being judged on what name brand she wore, how her make-up was done, how fit she was, etc... then I am SO grateful and blessed she did not get the pref invite to those top tier places. My daughter would have been miserable trying to maintain a certain façade. I am grateful to those sisters who saw my daughter for who she was and have welcomed her into their house. She is exactly where she should be. I do believe that everything happens for a reason. To all the Mom's out there, your daughter will be fine regardless of where she ends of because she has you to lean on in the good and bad times. That means more than all of this!

By: thanks two cents

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.