facebook

Sororities with alternative girls? Rush tips?

by: 2024 freshman

Hi! I’m a high school senior who will be rushing in the fall. I’m not a traditional tan, blonde, blue-eyed girl. I don’t wear lululemon, I don’t have Stanley cups… but I’m also not totally “weird”. I wear eyeliner and have my nose pierced. I’m worried that I will not get bids because of me not looking the same. I plan on toning down my makeup for rush. I can look preppy easily. I’m also really short, will this be a bad thing? What tips do you guys have for me to be able to get into a sorority I want or like rather than being taken in as a scrap or leftover… :(

Do I need to have a resume made? What if I don’t have any recommendations? Should I get recommendations from women in my life that weren’t in a sorority? How do I stand out without being weird? What sororities should I stay away from (meaning they are toxic)?

I really want to experience Greek life and sisterhood and make connections.

Posted By: 2024 freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Yikes   

Dye your hair, get lulu, get all the Stanley’s. You have no shot. Unless you have money to fund events, no you will not get a bid. Anyone who says different is lying to you so they can watch you crash and burn.

By: Yikes
#2  by: Anni   

Not sure what the first comment on here is talking about… I went through rush last year and i feel like most of the houses are pretty chill. I’m also not typical blonde preppy and my favorites were Alpha Chi, Theta, Pi Phi, and KD. I didn’t have a bad experience in any house though. My best advice is to go into it without any expectations and really think about who you want to hang out with (it’ll be 4 years!) I believe the recruitment process will place you where you belong in the end. Good luck!

By: Anni
#3  by: Um   

If you have to completely change who you are to "rush" then you've misunderstood how rush should be, and you'll end up in a house that you won't ever feel like you can be yourself in because you pretended to be someone your not to get in.

There's nothing wrong with any of the houses on campus, and they all have different kinds of girls. Just because they "look a certain way" for rush and social media, doesn't always mean the girls look that way on normal days. Actually take time to look at the individual IG accounts each sorority follows to get a slightly more realistic feel of group.

My biggest advice is be yourself (obviously take note of the dress codes during rush, but do it in a way that actually reflects who you are) - you want a house that wants you for you.

You don't need a stanley cup, some girls still have hydroflasks, or even generic brand bottles. You don't have to dress preppy if that's not who you are. Not everyone in a sorority is loaded - some members have part time jobs to help pay for everything (but be warned that being in one takes a lot of time and money). If anything, if you get dropped for not fitting into a visual aesthetic of a sorority, consider it a blessing - and know the ones who invited you back like you for you.

By: Um
#4  by: Um   

"Do I need to have a resume made?"
Yes. There's a lot of yt videos and try greekchat for help on reccs and resumes. Even reddit's sorority sub has info

"What if I don’t have any recommendations?"
Check each sorority/org's recc policies. Some mandate, some are open to anyone or have specific procedures, some don't even accept them. Again see above - there are people willing to help acquire them in those sites

"How do I stand out without being weird?"
Again. I can't stress this enough. BE YOURSELF. If a chapter thinks you're weird, at least you don't have to spend 4yrs pretending to be someone you're not to fit in. And one chapter might think you're weird, another might think you're funny/cool/fun to be around. The concept of "weird" is so subjective it's redundent.

"What sororities should I stay away from (meaning they are toxic)?"

None. Go in with an open mind and you'll find your people. The idea that you'll get one with everyone in your sorority is just as dumb as thinking you'll get on with everyone in your class or that everyone in each sorority is exactly the same. Every sorority has people you'd like and people you would avoid like the plague.

If what you mean is what chapters are known for a stronger sisterhood? That depends. "Top tier" chapters usually recruit people they have connections to so they're always friends or familiar at least - not always, but it sure helps. For people who don't really know anyone going in, usually mid-bottom tiers because it's (again not always) like everyone being the new girl in the group together so you all start in the same boat clique wise

By: Um

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.