facebook

gamma phi beta

by: pnm

I really don't know how I feel about gamma phi because after sisterhood round it was the only house that invited me back. I am a sophomore so I get that gamma phi is the only one that didn't cut a lot of girls because they're new. So I honestly don't feel like I fit in with some of the girls though because I am so girly and they seemed not really into anything I liked although I'm sure there will be a few I could connect with but its hard for me to trust the system when I feel like they only accepted me because they are new and needed girls and I don't think they even know if I'd fit in. I just wanted to know if anyone else felt this way about them or if this happened to anyone else?

Posted By: pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Sorry   

You can always drop before initiation if you don't end up liking it

By: Sorry
#2  by: GPB   

I felt that way too.

By: GPB
by: It's all in the math Jan 25, 2015 10:51:03 PM

Gamma phi had the second highest carry figure out if all the sororities. They couldnt make many cuts because it was so high (they had 7 rounds of 70 people that's 490 pnms) which is why you got invited back, that and you obviously put them on your list....

By: It's all in the math
by: hmmJan 25, 2015 11:03:05 PM

Are they being selective?

By: hmm
#3  by: Rg   

Gamma Phi was not allowed to cut many people. Honestly, if you don't feel a connection with them, you probably won't get a bid. I know several PNMs that did like them, so odds are they weren't feeling you either. If you got dropped from every other house, they were probably forced to take you back. Sorry.

By: Rg
#4  by: bidless   

most of the girls they asked back they asked back because they had to. There are a decent amount of girls who actually liked and were interested in gamma phi, and honestly, if you didn't like them they probably didn't like you either. The way you feel isn't exclusive to gphi, I had a friend get asked back to ONLY alpha phi for pref round last year and she absolutely was not feeling it. don't be a brat because they're new

By: bidless
by: Original posterJan 25, 2015 9:00:18 PM

I just don't want to join a sorority that HAD to ask me back not because they honestly liked me and thought I'd be a good fit. I know some girls really liked them and I'm not saying I don't or don't appreciate them asking me back, it's just hard to appreciate when everyone is saying they only did it because they had to. I like the idea of joining a new sorority and have nothing against that. Just not sure how I'm supposed to fit in somewhere that had to ask me back and not because they wanted to

By: Original poster
by: to original posterJan 25, 2015 9:09:50 PM

I don't know why I am helping you, but you don't know that they HAD to ask you back. If you want to be in a new chapter and you really liked them then take the damn bid. But you don't even know if you are going to get a bid yet so just wait until tomorrow. They won't be offering you a bid if they HAD to ask you back. Use your head. They had enough girls that they wanted as new members that they aren't gonna give you a bid unless they want to.

By: to original poster
#5  by: idiot   

if you are asking advice on here about accepting a bid you don't deserve one.

By: idiot
#6  by: Rfm   

Using RFM, each chapter is required to ask so many people back for each round based on return rates from previous years. Chapters who typically have strong return rates, like Kappa, DG and pi phi are not permitted to ask that many girls back. Weaker chapters who have very low return rates are REQUIRED to ask more girls back then they typically want. Since gamma phi is new, RFM makes the assumption that they are a week or chapter and they probably had to ask back hundreds of girls that they didn't make connections to. So your feelings may be valid.
If you did decide to sign a bid card, you are bound for one year. Attend bidday and give it a try.

By: Rfm
#7  by: Tough love   

If it wasn't gamma phi, it would just be another chapter though. You're guaranteed a bid as long as you "maximize your options," but they never give you a chance not to do that because you have to rank EVERY house you visit up until pref. it sounds like none of the sororities really saw you as a good fit but because you had to get asked back to at least one house for pref, it ended up being gamma phi. Maybe you're just not meant to be in a chapter at OSU

By: Tough love
by: No...Jan 25, 2015 11:04:15 PM

Maximizing your options means putting all the chapters you visited at pref on your MRABA. You can be dropped from recruitment prior to pref round if all the chapters cut you. You are not guaranteed to get to pref round, but if you do get to pref round AND you put all the chapters you visited on your MRABA, you are guaranteed a bid.

By: No...
#8  by: PNM    

I was actually pleasantly surprised with Gamma Phi Beta. The girls that I was paired with were decently attractive and interesting. I know they haven't really found their spot in the tier system and they are homeless until fall but I think they're a lot cooler than any of us expected. They were 2nd on my pref list and I wouldn't be upset with a bid from them. Give it a chance, you never know!

By: PNM
#9  by: GPhi   

Even Gamma Phi is allowed to "cut" people, even though they are encouraged not to, so they want you or at least think you are worthy of becoming their sister.

To be honest, at this point, you have nothing to lose by accepting your bid (esp. if you already signed MRABA b/c that means you can't participate in informal recruitment in the fall anyway). Think of the next month as a "trial period" and a time for you to check them out. Then, decide what you want to do. You can always not initiate (although there may be some financial costs so I would check on that). People surprise you and GPhi might too.

By: GPhi
#10  by: PNM   

One of the biggest thing i noticed as i looked around the room was how diverse the group was and that they seem to pride themselves on the individuality in the room. That seemed to be what the entire pref ceremony was about. There are every type of girl in gamma phi so if you do receive a bid from them you will most likely find girls you connect with it.

By: PNM

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.