facebook

what immediately turned you off of a pnm?

by: Didn’t get in

I rushed this spring and didn’t find a sorority. I never had doubts about my self worth or anything like that. I have always had a good group of friends, felt confident with my physical appearance, and been generally well liked I THOUGHT. What’s something I could have done that was so wrong I wasn’t good enough for any of the sororities on campus? I’m genuinely curious and I think it would be nice to hear so I can wrap my head around this event that basically shattered my self esteem.

Posted By: Didn’t get in
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: :(   

I’m really sorry you feel this way! You can always try again next year, hon!

By: :(
by: yesMar 28, 2018 9:53:21 PM

Absolutely do not fear re-recruiting. Setting your priorities and goals high is what sororities look for; so is keeping an honest and open mind about where you will accept an invitation and a bid.

Don't think of it as being "not good enough", instead think of it as they simply failed to see you for what you really believe you are and missed out on a great sister and friend!

By: yes
#2  by: Sorry   

Hey girl, I’m sorry to hear that. A lot of the sororities have GPA requirements and that’s what they use to make their first round of cuts. I’m not sure what you were looking for during recruitment, but my advice would be to just try and be yourself and not fit the mold of whatever house you’re at. Also, don’t be disrespectful to houses just because you know you don’t want to go there. The houses ALL talk. If you’re disrespectful to a bottom tier sorority just because you want to go top tier, that word will be spread. Be kind to every house you go to.

Also- try to keep an open mind. I went into the process wanting to go top tier also and during meet the chapters, I immediately knew that I didn’t feel comfortable there and i found a house that round that I really liked and I kept getting asked back until I joined. Trust the process is a real thing as corny and annoying as that saying is.....

Try and rush again next year though with an open mind!

By: Sorry
by: JrMar 27, 2018 1:04:07 PM

WHat do they think of juniors rushing? Also to the OP I’m sorry :(

By: Jr
by: hmmmMar 27, 2018 1:07:44 PM

I don’t think I’ve heard of a junior rushing tbh. Im sure you can it’s just uncommon. If you want to rush as a junior, I’d recommend doing it informally

By: hmmm
by: @JrMar 27, 2018 1:55:15 PM

I went through formal as a junior and found my home. You just have to be prepared for heavy cuts because of your rank. After the first round, I had four houses. I do feel that being an upperclassman was beneficial in some ways. I knew who I was as a person and felt no need to conform to a house. In other words, I was comfortable enough with who I am as a person that I was able to find a house that fit me/my personality.

Don't let your rank hold you back. I know of several girls who went through as juniors and had great experiences.

By: @Jr
by: AlsoMar 27, 2018 2:04:23 PM

There was a junior in my pledge class and Im in an upper mid tier sorority so don't think that it'll necessarily be only lower tier houses left. I also have a friend who rushed as a junior that was a legacy to the house she wanted. This is a case where being a legacy would help you during recruitment if you have something like you're rank working against you.

By: Also
#3  by: forward ever   

Look on the bright side: the next time you rush, the women you met before may not be the same ones rushing you. And for goodness sake don't continue letting a simple recruitment exercise shatter your world. Ninety percent of college students are not greek! You are (for now) in the majority!

By: forward ever
#4  by: Same   

I also had a really horrible rush experience and ended up dropping. I cried everyday for a week after rush. I also see myself as an outgoing and generally good person, but I was dropped by all of the sororities I liked. I, along with a lot of my good friends, had HORRIBLE rush experiences and I know so many girls that just fell through the cracks. I am 100% positive that your rush experience is not a reflection of the person you are. I personally never want to go through formal recruitment again, but maybe you can try informal! It sounds like a more relaxed process with less pressure

By: Same
#5  by: Well   

Sometimes a house can't get a good read on certain girls. Some girls are a bit quiet during rounds, or don't stand out one way or another, maybe they are overshadowed by other girls we are recruiting, or they and the actives who were talking to them just didn't connect, but nothing's wrong with them at all! PNM's can fall through the cracks this way but would make great sisters and we just didn't pick up on it. Also, if you like any certain houses you need to tell them so. Not in a desperate way like you'll die if you can't be in xyz, but at least let us know if you really like us and feel at home and would be happy to belong. It's not enough for you to just accept the invitation and show up at our house; we need to know you're enthusiastic about us.

By: Well
#6  by: :P   

the last time i saw this question asked, girls in "top tiers" talked about how they argued to cut pnms because they had the same name as them, and didn't want another girl with the same name as them in their chapter, and another talked about how they cut a girl cuz their breath smelled like coffee. I'm saying because i know it is a really awful feeling to get cut from a bunch of places, i know that feeling, but you have to know it isn't a reflection on yyour self worth because some houses are simply looking for one specific type of girl and if you don't fit that, even if you're lovely, you will get cut. That is the unfortunate shallow side of rush. When you first start, they make it sound like anyone could end anywhere but it is a lot more discriminative. Don't use this bs to measure your self worth because you are worth more than that. There are places here and girls here however that will see your worth and going through when your a year older, while it may cause more cuts, like was said before, will give you a lot stronger of an idea of who you are and what you want in a house. hope that helped.
Bottom line, you're probs great, keep your head up and try again, i would recommend informal. much less stressful, and more personal, gives houses a better chance to get to see the real you, not the you dressed like 1300 other girls.

By: :P

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.