facebook

i'm probably transferring to nyu next year

by: Junior Transfer

I will be a junior transfer next year. The school I'm at now doesn't have a greek system, so I never joined. Would it be worth my time to Rush or is everyone going to drop me because of my age? Also, if I get accepted will I be the only Junior in my pledge class? I really want to join a sorority, but don't want to waste my time or anyone else's time.

Posted By: Junior Transfer
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: hmmmm   

Nationals tend not to but it's not unheard of. My advice would always be to go and see what's out there. If a soroity fits go for it. Nyu is full of transfers some of who end up in greek life. You got nothing to lose. Good luck!

By: hmmmm
#2  by: Changing   

We are trying to get the nationals to see the value in juniors and/or transfers. Give it a try, but don't take it personally if they drop you. For some of them it is all about numbers and juniors don't get them the numbers they want.

By: Changing
by: JuniorsDec 25, 2013 10:43:59 AM

In California Nationals take Juniors all the time. Loads of my friends joined later in college. I'm not sure why here at NYU there the Nationals will let cool girls go based on their age.

By: Juniors
#3  by: Changing   

Might be best to focus on local sororities. They seem to have a tight sisterhood, and there is a lot of advantages if you stay and live in Manhattan.

By: Changing
#4  by: Juniors   

The nationals are really missing out on some good members. All sororities could up their membership about 25% if they embraced more juniors and transfers.

By: Juniors
#5  by: Go Local   

I say don't even try nationals. They really seem to shun juniors and transfers. Not sure why.

By: Go Local
#6  by: truth   

You'll be fine! There were a few juniors in my pledge class

By: truth
by: what sorority?Dec 28, 2013 4:37:17 AM

is it a national or local?

By: what sorority?
by: M Mar 4, 2014 9:37:45 PM

Same here and we are national

By: M
#7  by: Junior Transfer   

I was wondering the same thing. I would like to join a national, but don't want to go through rush if they are just going to judge me on my age. Can someone post some real information that would help?

By: Junior Transfer
#8  by: honest   

I'm going to be completely honest... there was a thread like this before too btw so check that out. ZTA, DPhiE, AEPhi almost never accept juniors. It's a numbers things and also a loyalty thing. We like for girls to be here the whole time. I met quite a few juniors and transfers when I rushed and they're now at AST, KKG, or PiPhi (not too many in piphi though).
Be warned: you have a good chance of joining an organization but keep an open mind in case your top choice drops you.

By: honest
by: thanksDec 30, 2013 10:30:34 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not the original poster, but I was wondering the same thing, because I want to go through rush, but don't want to do it if it is pointless and nobody is going to give me a chance. I will thing about it and keep an open mind. Seems like you are missing some really good members. A lot of junior transfers end up being fifth year seniors so you would have them for three years.

By: thanks
by: jMar 4, 2014 9:39:05 PM

Not true about dphie… I'm in it and I had two juniors in my pledge class this year, both transfers. I have a good friend in zta who is also a junior transfer.

By: j
#9  by: bugs me   

I really wanted to give a bid to a really interesting and gorgeous woman that was a junior last year. Our advisors put her on the drop list because of her age. She went to another sorority that isn't as competitive as mine and is very happy. The majority of us wanted her in the house. The couple of bean counters knocked her out. Wish it were different. You will probably get a sorority, but do keep an open mind.

By: bugs me
#10  by: michelle   

Come out to recruitment and see how you mesh with the girls!

There is a local chapter APhiZ that I know for a fact takes juniors, and I have a few friends in it who are super awesome, laid-back girls who are fun to hang out, party with, and are just an all-around great time.

Don't just skip out on recruitment because you're worried some sororities will drop you for being too old. Hey! You never know. :)

By: michelle

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.