facebook

southeast greek life vs northeast greek life

by: Transfer

I was born, raised and attended a college in Alabama (Roll Tide). But I'm coming here because I've always wanted to be in a big city. Well anyways what differences would I notice in Greek Life at NYU compared to the South?

Posted By: Transfer
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: NYU Greek Life   

Greek Life at NYU is nothing like Greek Life in the south. They're simply two different animals. Without a traditional campus and no fraternity row, Greek Life plays a much smaller role at NYU than other schools. I think only about 10% of the student body go Greek at NYU. Being less entrenched means that fraternities and sororities are only as strong as their membership; they don't have mansions or nice lawn parties to impress new members (for the most part). They've got to make do with what they have then and there.

Take the reviews on this website with a (massive) grain of salt, and rush around to see which members you click with most. If I could give you any advise it would be to go in with no expectations. NYU Greek Life will probably surprise you in all it has to offer, but if you walk into rush comparing everything to the South... you're going to have a bad time.

By: NYU Greek Life
#2  by: meg   

yeah it's definitely different from the south. it's surprisingly large though. think about it, 10% of 20,000 students is 2000 kids. some colleges don't even have that many students overall lol

By: meg
#3  by: Transfer   

I'm looking to join a fraternity. When you mean by superficial what do you look for then? Back home, especially the top tier chapters, look at your upbringings, zip codes, recommendations and stuff like that.

By: Transfer
#4  by: f   

By superficial, I meant they care less about what you look like and how rich you appear to be and more about your personality and what you can bring to the chapter. I was mainly referring to sororities though, and the idea that some sororities at other schools accept girls purely based on looks and style alone. I'm a girl so I don't know how fraternity rush works exactly, but I've heard it's very chill and you just hang out with whichever frats you feel that you get along with most.

By: f
#5  by: Transfer   

Sounds simple. Thanks.

By: Transfer
#6  by: Caldwell   

How do ya'll guys dress? Do you wear Vineyard Vines, boat shoes, button downs, shorts above your knees and all of the same stuff as southerners?

By: Caldwell

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.