facebook

fall rush

by: pnm

I am considering trying out for the Sugar Bears but word is the coach doesn't let freshmen rush in the fall. I also really want to be Greek. I am torn. I am worried about getting in as a sophomore or in the spring. Do most sororities have spots open in the spring? In addition, my major is pretty academically challenging so I am not quite sure how to proceed/plan. Any input welcome. I know it would be challenging but just hate to give up dancing after so many years, and want the sisterhood in a sorority too.

Posted By: pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: H   

The way I see it, going Greek can provide many networking and leadership opportunities that will benefit you after graduation. Dancing will not offer you those same opportunities, even though it would be fun for 4 years.

By: H
#2  by: B   

Hi! I had the EXACT same dilemma. I wanted to experience a sorority because there was nothing like it in high school, however I didn't want to give up dancing. I also have an academically challenging major. I decided to not try out for the dance team and rush, and I'm so glad I made that choice. However, you do not have to give up dancing if you don't do Sugar Bears. There is Missouri State Movement, who is more of a dance club and does showcases with different styles of dance. There's also Diamond Girls, where you dance at baseball games in the spring. If you don't do either of those, you can still dance at sorority events such as Yell Like Hell (homecoming rally) and Greek Jam. I hope I helped!

By: B
#3  by: DI Pom   

If you want to try out for Sugar Bears, I would definitely do it freshman year. You would lose flexibility, technique, etc, if you chose to wait a year. From what I can see, the Greek life at MSU is pretty minor compared to other larger schools. It seems that you can successfully rush as a sophomore here, not true at other large schools.
As someone who did dance at a large DI school, the experience is AMAZING and fun and incredible and nothing will compare to it if you have a true love of performing. I was also in a top sorority which is also incredibly fun, but at this school it is not nearly as vital as it is at other universities, and I think you can have a social life and wait a year for that fun...:-)
Side note: if you try out and do not make it, you can go ahead and rush and continue to take dance classes and try out again as a sophomore. Baseball dancing looks fun, but it is nothing like traveling with basketball and football and competing at College Nationals.
This is just my opinion, but good luck in whatever choice you make!

By: DI Pom

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.