facebook

rankings?

by: Freshman

Hi, I'm going to be a freshman next year and am set on greek life as I've always wanted to join a fraternity. What are the fraternity tiers at Chico? My buddy from high school is a theta chi but he told me how they got suspended and are having problems keeping the frat together. What are the new tiers for the upcoming year?

Posted By: Freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: hmm   

fraternities in chico are at an all time low to be honest. there's three worth rushing, and that's kappa sig, sigma chi, and sigma pi. you can't rush theta chi next year, but they're good too.

sigma pi is coming off a suspension, and only has 20 or so official members, but another 30 that are "unofficial". they were a top house before their suspension.

kappa sig made huge progress in the last two years. were kind of a joke but now have solid guys and hang out with a lot of sororities.

sigma chi is off campus, but that honestly isn't the biggest deal. sigma pi and theta chi would go off campus if their nationals let them. sigma chi has a solid group of guys.

By: hmm
by: HmmJul 18, 2014 7:29:38 AM

Your obviously a sigma pi self promoting. Yes, Sigma pi was a top house in the past but their reorganization nearly killed them and now have 12 actives. Sigma pi has a very negative reputation among the new sophmores and can't imagine many people wanting to pledge them. In addition if they get caught (someone will snitch) having any of their "unofficial" members participate in socials / rush their charter will get pulled very quickly or the university will suspend them.

In no order, sigma chi, kappa sigma, and phi kappa tau are the only houses worth joining. Sigma nu many a lot of actives and decent rep but are on social probation and possible suspension for not making grades.

Sigma chi is unaffiliated with the university which prevents them from doing socials/sports/greek week which is a big aspect of being "greek."

By: Hmm
#2  by: sororitygirl   

Alpha Sig is loved by almost every chapter. You can't go wring with Sigma Chi or Sigma Nu. They're are also good houses.

By: sororitygirl
#3  by: yo   

yea every fraternity is really chill. You'll have a great time and get girls in whatever fraternity you decide upon. I'm in Sigma Nu and would definitely recommend checking us out. Alpha Sig and Phi Delt are great houses too!! Good luck future bro, we can't wait to see ya out at rush!!

By: yo
#4  by: Ha   

Top: sigma nu / kappa sig

Mid: phi tau / alpha sig / phi delt

Bottom: pike / sigma pi / theta chi

Gdis: sigma chi / delta psi delta / tau gamma theta.

By: Ha
by: sororityJul 21, 2014 3:56:57 PM

i'm in a top sorority and this is accurate. although I'd put phi tau in top tier too!

By: sorority
by: Get RektJul 21, 2014 11:04:51 PM

You can't be top house and be on academic probation. Sigma Nu is not top.

1. Mid tier is correct and no, Phi tau is not a top. They've been suspended twice in 10 years, not counting the greek wide one and are finally coming back again, so their chance to do anything is this year.

Theta chi is suspended but they'll still rage, so definitely not bottom.

Sigma Chi is top house at the moment.

By: Get Rekt
by: Above Jul 22, 2014 9:28:53 AM

Clearly a sigma chi, sigma chi isn't even worthy of being ranked in the same category as the IFC houses since they are geeds! They even keep painting GEED / GDI on their house to let everyone know.

Theta chis house is boarded up and their alumni are selling the house, definetly not top tier lol.

By: Above
#5  by: lol   

SO just to give a quick background since most of these people posting are probably frehsmen or sophomores. For years, chico state has been between the "big three"; Theta Chi, Sigma Chi, and Sigma Pi. Top house was always between Sigma Chi and Theta Chi, with Sigma Pi being solidly third. As far as best house for you, you shouldnt be looking at "tiers". How everyone views tiers is obviously skewed, since many people take different things into question when ranking fraternities. Grades, Philanthropy, Socials, and house all come into effect. As far as having the most "desired" socials, your best bet is Theta Chi and Sigma Chi. Theta chi is on probation now, but as a freshmen you should be more concerned about where you see the chapter in 3 years, not entirely where it is now. Grades and Philanthropy are done by every chapter, but you should really go into rush without any predispositions. Everyone has their fit, but ranking chapters by tiers is a joke and almost everyone on here has no idea what the hell they're talking about. Still, greek life is a hell of a time and life-changing experience regardless. Enjoy.

By: lol
by: lolJul 22, 2014 6:09:28 PM

Theta Chi doesn't even exist anymore. They kicked out everyone who lives in the house and are closing the chapter. And if theta chi existed they would be on suspension for this full year.

Sigma Chi cant even do socials! they are apart of the university (IFC) so aren't even relevant in Greek life! who would want to join a "Greek" organization that can't do Greek week, socials (with sororities), sports, and philanthropy! Those are the biggest aspects of being greek!

By: lol
by: again...Jul 22, 2014 6:24:05 PM

Again you clearly are not informed on the subject. Theta Chi is remodeling their house, they are NOT kicked off. Only suspended socially for a year. Sigma Chi CAN have socials, the format is just grab a date rather than inviting a whole sorority. They CAN do philanthropy, while it is true they cannot participate in greek week. The state the school's greek system is in, it is important to really join a fraternity that best fits you every day of your life, not just a week out of the year.

By: again...
by: Above Jul 23, 2014 1:47:28 AM

Your not informed. You previously just said theta chi is on "probation" your st0pid. If theta chi existed they would be suspended for this entire year making them irrelevant and below phi delt and pike.

Sigma chi, can't do socials with sororities, can't do philranthopy WITH SORORITIES (aka derby days the only big thing sigma chi ever did), and no sports or greek week. Your obviously a sigma chi trying to defend yourself and self promote. You kids aren't apart of the greek community, the sororities don't even consider you to be "greek." This upcoming year freshman can rush in the fall which will be your death sentence.

By: Above
#6  by: Lol   

All these comments from a kappa sig or phi tau. Phi tau is still bottom house full of weirdos so is sigma nu. Kappa sig is alright

By: Lol
by: LolJul 23, 2014 5:56:28 AM

But phi tau and kappa sig are the only houses realistically worth joining since sigma nu is on academic suspension.

OX- irrelevant
EP- irrelevant (10 members) still could come back
EX- decent if you want to just party and don't care about normal greek activities, still in a different category with delta psi delta and tau gamma theta.
PIKE- no house, lost the deck house to kappa sig

Rest aren't worthy of mentioning.

By: Lol
#7  by: haha   

i can't wait for all these freshmen to actually come to chico and see the jokes that wear sigma nu and phi tau letters.

By: haha
#8  by: The truth.   

Top house depends 100% on who you ask now. Historically it is true that top house used to be a tie between Theta Chi and Sigma Chi and a lot of people still believe that to be the case even with Sigma Chi unaffiliated and Theta Chi on suspension. To be honest any concept of tiers was killed by Chico State trying to weed out Greek life by blaming issues with the Chico drinking culture on top fraternities. Theta Chi will be back just like Sigma Pi is this year, and Panhellenic bans sororities from participating Sigma Chi events (with the exception of grab a date socials) under pressure from IFC. Sigma Pi got suspende by the University after an unfortunate incident occurred and Theta Chi got suspended by the University for having a social event that wasn't allowed. All of the top fraternities are just becoming targets by the administration and if that trend continues, which it will with President Zingg doing his thing, then it doesn't matter who is considered top house anymore. It seems like the only way to prevail in the Chico Greek system is by being under the radar, because the school has decided that promoting the bad in fraternities is more important than praising the good. Because a lot of fraternity's situations are different, it's hard to compare them on non-biased terms. Rush whatever fraternity you feel most comfortable with during recruitment week and base it solely off of that, because in the long run everyone bases it off of who they have the most friends in.

By: The truth.
by: thisJul 25, 2014 5:20:01 AM

this is a good post.

By: this
by: above.Jul 28, 2014 7:45:56 PM

I think the biggest "culture change" needs to be made by fraternities such as Sigma Chi. Do you think it's ok to damage other fraternities properties? Considering that your members broke into Theta Chis house and destroyed composites, have repeatedly damaged kappa sigs house, and broke a window at sigma nus house? I'm sure you will deny all of these allegations but the entire Greek system knows it's Sigma Chis that are causing all these problems. You definitely don't belong on campus, at least until you kick out all of the douchbags who commit these acts giving your house a bad name.

By: above.
by: IFCJul 30, 2014 4:11:55 AM

To those saying that IFC is working against Sigma Chi, and/or Panhellenic being pressured by IFC into working against them.. you have an entirely new group making up IFC now.

I have 0 intention to work against anyone.
Only supporting when given the opportunity.

Like the first guy said, rush, see the houses and meet the guys and I'm sure you'll find a house. Should you make it through, you'll find yourself among quality guys that you can call brothers.\n\n\n\n\n

By: IFC
by: the truthJul 30, 2014 11:15:42 AM

Defending allegations on here is pointless because people are not willing to look past their own opinions to accept any other alternate reality, so you can believe whatever you want I guess. Anything I say in our defense will be disregarded by you anyways. However, I will tell you that while we were all gone at our formal retreat, our house, Sigma Nu, and Phi Tau's houses got vandalized by an IFC fraternity. So blaming house vandalism issues on us is pretty ignorant.

By: the truth
#9  by: Rip   

LXA is the top house followed by Pike and Sigma chi .

Then Kappa sig is upper middle

The rest are irrelevant FΑGS

By: Rip
by: Real ranking Jul 31, 2014 4:47:08 PM

Top: LXA

Mid: Phi Delt / alpha sig

Bottom: kappa sig

Worthless geeds: everyone else.

Ranking from:::::: legia

By: Real ranking
#10  by: Yo do   

GZA > all

By: Yo do
by: NopeAug 3, 2014 1:03:05 AM

Hows that 4 year suspension GZA? lolz

By: Nope

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.