facebook

spring rush

by: Rabbit

What fraternities are worth checking out? I'm a Freshman and was wondering what each fraternity is generally like

Posted By: Rabbit
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: TFM   

I recommend going by all the booths the week prior to rush and narrowing it down to 2-3 fraternities.

By: TFM
#2  by: kappasig   

top house:
kappa sig - best parties, only hang with aphi/adpi, best at sports, top bros for sure
mid:
theta chi - falling FAST. used to rival kappa sig but not really anymore
sigma nu - lot of mexicans and creeps but some okay guys.
bottom:
phi delt - nerds and virgins
phi tau - chill but have had a rough couple years
alpha sig - who?

the suspended houses (pike, sigma pi, sigma chi) were already bottom tier and irrelevant so no loss there.

By: kappasig
by: FreshmanNov 27, 2013 3:28:52 AM

Kappa Sigma isn't a top house lol but I would agree that Theta Chi is going downhill fast, haven't heard any freshman wanting to rush them, everyone in the dorms says they are douches and haze hard. The majority of people i've met in the dorms are trying to go Kappa Sig, Phi Tau, or Sigma Nu. At first everyone was stoked on Sigma Chi but we learned about how they can't do anything with sororities, greek week, or sports and the guys in the dorms that joined them are raging tools.

By: Freshman
by: juniorNov 27, 2013 2:05:07 PM

to freshman: trust me you want to join theta chi or sigma chi. those are the only non suspended fraternities that can even be considered a fraternity. the others are clubs, and bad ones at that.

By: junior
#3  by: Freshman   

Also, I forgot to ask in your unbiased opinion what fraternities are going to become top houses next semester?

by: juniorNov 27, 2013 2:08:40 PM

theta chi will absolutely stay the top house and probably get even better.
sigma chi will probably do well too. the school doesn't offer that much.
kappa sig will most likely do well. they have mostly cool guys and some weird guys and a cool house.

there's room for 3 good pledge classes and I'd say those three get them. if sigma chi doesn't do well then possibly sigma nu. but probably not cause they prefer the rejects of other fraternities.

by: KappaSigNov 27, 2013 4:33:45 PM

I see why everyone states Theta Chi is top tier, and it's simply based on numbers and relations to sororities. The problem is that they show no support to any other sororities other than ADPI and Aphi. The whole point in being greek is participating in other greek events that you have the privilege to attend. When I hear that Theta Chi blows off another sororities philanthropy with no reason other than they didn't feel like putting the in the work, I just don't see that as top tier material. Shouldn't top tier being winning all events? Yeah you have good looking guys and get the girls, but who is going to want to be part of something that just does the bare minimum?

Sigma Chi isn't very involved in campus but for obvious reasons. I've seen them doing fundraisers on campus but the only problem was that it was all pledges doing the work. I mean I understand if they were trying to raise money but shouldn't it be a total brotherhood effort than just the few pledges? I really like these guys and think they got shafted out of their biggest event which is Derby Days. Without it they are loosing out where they get most of their profits for their fraternity.

I believe we have a good chance to make top tier depending on how this next pledge class goes and what kind of guys are joining fraternities. We personally want the guys who we could see ourselves hanging out with and also who can do that business side aspect. It's not all about partying and meeting girls(still a major part)

By: KappaSig
by: FreshmanNov 27, 2013 6:42:13 PM

What do you think about phi tau? A friend on my floor is a legacy for them and the majority of guys on my floor who are rushing are interested in them. I went to their haunted house event and it seemed like they did a really good job. I heard they've also been doing socials with Alpha Phi. Have they ever been a top house in the past? The guys I've met in their fraternity are chill and their house is sick.

by: KappaSigNov 27, 2013 7:15:01 PM

I'm also a legacy and ended up joining Kappa Sig because I didn't like their guys when I was rushing a few years ago. They really have changed a lot over the past few years and are becoming very active. They are getting better at sports and their haunted house event really helped them get ties with sororities because they had to compete selling tickets to the events. They are still a smaller chapter and was a Top House far a decade ago. Just like most fraternities they have potential and I recommend checking them out!

By: KappaSig
#4  by: junior   

"good looking and get the girls" why else would you join a fraternity? OX or EX all day, sorry.

by: Kappa SigNov 27, 2013 8:26:19 PM

And that's the reason why I would never vote to let you into my Fraternity.

The answer is to join something larger than you and to become a better man. This whole process of college is getting to know others who will help you along the way to whatever your goals may be. Just like leaders need followers, followers need leaders. Its a 2 way learning process and there is a lot more than meets the eyes to fraternities that you learn through your pledging experience and the experience of being a brother. I believe your missing a lot to your brotherhood that needs reexamined. Hopefully you will mature by senior year to understand this, if not then it is your own loss sir. Take advantage of your opportunities and don't let them pass you by.

By: Kappa Sig
by: lolNov 27, 2013 10:32:40 PM

except I've been dating a girl for the past 2 months that multiple EX and OX's have tried getting at and failed. Fraternities don't get girls, gentlemen get them. And I'm in a fraternity that your tool ass would probably call a "bottom house."

By: lol
by: AmazingNov 28, 2013 11:43:08 PM

Damn so your gf doesn't cheat on you... You must be in a good house man

By: Amazing
by: ChicoMar 6, 2014 2:15:44 AM

Lol yeah right, shes probably scamming on you Above Rileys and Peach Pit

By: Chico
#5  by: ThetaChi   

At least we pull hot girls and not weird gdi girls or from agd lol

By: ThetaChi
by: HahahaNov 28, 2013 8:34:48 PM

Except you don't pull hot girls, you just take advantage of drunk girls at your party's. Also taking girls that have friend zoned you to your formals and socials doesn't necessarly count as "pulling girls."

By: Hahaha
#6  by: Lol   

All you guys are doing is running your rep into the ground

By: Lol
by: RealTalkDec 6, 2013 12:26:03 PM

So very true.

By: RealTalk
#7  by: RealTalk   

Theta Chi is top house ask around, that isn't even a question. Good looking guys, good parties, exceptional brotherhood. Join for the full greek life experience. Either you love them or hate them. A couple of tools are in every organization including theta chi, despite this every active is an upstanding member in the schools community. Overall you can't question the brotherhood, all the members have each others back. They also won greek week, that is a pretty big deal. In terms of giving back to the school they offer the most, whoever mentioned that is very biased or just ill-informed.

Sigma Pi and Sigma Chi are somewhat cool. It is unfortunate what happened to them. I have heard they ran the school with theta chi back in the day.

Sigma Nu and Kappa Sig are irrelevant. Weird guys, lack of brotherhood. Kappa Sig may have won football but honestly what does that really entail? Bragging Rights? Still some weird guys, and girls or future rushees do not want to be associated with weird people.

The rest I have not mentioned do not exist or are not worthy to talk about. Except AGR everyone loves a good o'l boy and it is cool to see how they have their own niche fraternity that does them. Nice guys too.

By: RealTalk
#8  by: GoGreek2014   

Hi Freshman :) It's sweet you're looking into houses. Honestly, the posts above are a competition from boys that are in that fraternities currently. It's more about which house is top house than trying to help you out. Top house based on popularity is probably Theta Chi. However, they are falling fast. Their pledges are not as cute as they used to be and they are really rude and unreliable. Kappa Sig's a nice guys for the most part. They have good intentions but aren't as involved on campus as they used to be. However they are making honest attempts to get back on campus and build better relationships with the sororities. Alpha Sigma Phi is a great group of guys. I have nothing negative to say about them. Sigma Chi boys are unaffiliated these days, however they are a good time and their latest pledge class is really close. The other houses at this point are slightly irrelevant. I wish you the best of luck. My strongest piece of advice is that you go to their booths while they are looking for pledges. Chat with the guys of each house and feel it out. Honestly, you'll know which house is for you. Good luck! :)

By: GoGreek2014
by: hahahahhaDec 20, 2013 1:54:29 AM

Ranking Alpha Sigma Phi & Kappa Sigma above Sigma Nu and Phi Kappa Tau?

ok.

By: hahahahha
#9  by: lol...   

OX and EX are the only relevant fraternities for spring semester. sigma pi and pike can rush in the fall. the others don't matter.

By: lol...
by: ...Jan 7, 2014 7:24:11 PM

pike can't rush for 2 more years. Sigma Pi can't rush until next spring.

By: ...
by: ...Jan 7, 2014 7:25:26 PM

and pike is a bottom house, has always been a bottom house, and will always be a bottom house. Sigma Pi does have potential they cut the fraternity from 70men to 15 quality men.

By: ...
by: lol...Jan 7, 2014 10:51:54 PM

both fraternities will or have appealed to the school and will get their punishment reduced.

by: lol...Jan 7, 2014 11:46:39 PM

theorion.com/suspended-greek-chapters-rebuilding-reputations /

As seen in this article, Pike went through the appealing process and is still being given the 3 year suspension. Sigma Pi has 15 members and it's nationals and the university agreed on the 1 year suspension so there is no point of them appealing. Both of them are irrelevant. Pike is gone, and Sigma Pi will be a bottom house when they come back.

#10  by: Future   

So I'm guessing if I want to go to a school with a good greek life, chico is not for me? Or would attending chico & going greek prove me wrong...

By: Future

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.