facebook

fraternity rankings and descriptions

by: freshman

I'm a freshman right now and I want to just a fraternity in the fall, but I really have not idea which one I would want to join. I haven't heard much about a lot of them so I have no idea what they are like. Can someone just give a description of each one and then rank them? Thanks

Posted By: freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: fratt   

top tier:
sigma pi / theta chi

mid tier:
sigma nu / phi delta theta

lower mid:
kappa sigma

bottom tier:
phi kappa tau / alpha sigma phi

sigma chi would be top tier but they just got kicked off for two years so we'll see what happens to them. pike would have been bottom tier anyway but they are gone for 3 years. kappa sigma was solidly middle tier but just lost a spring pledge class on top of a huge graduating senior class. i don't really know where they go now.

By: fratt
#2  by: Lol   

To whoever posted that ranking your an idiot. Sigma Chis pledge class this year sucks and wouldn't not be a top house even if they were on campus, Kappa sigma is kicked off campus as well and has 20 actives. Alpha sigma phi and phi tau have pulled in better pledge classes than phi delt, and sigma nu. There is so much chaos in the greek system currently there isn't any rankings. Sigma pi may be loosing their national recognition for hazing.

Top house: theta chi

Middle: phi kappa tau, alpha sigma phi

Bottom or suspended: sigma nu, phi delta theta and everyone else that is suspended and sigma pi because they may be suspended or loose national recognition.

By: Lol
by: frattMay 14, 2013 4:31:35 AM

I'm an idiot? You just put the top three fraternities as theta chi, phi tau, and alpha sig. Lets lay down a reality check since clearly you're in Alpha Sig or Phi Tau.

both of those fraternities have no annex houses, never social with girls, are bad at sports, and mostly weird kids who couldn't get into other fraternities (phi tau got THREE freshmen pledges this year. that's going to be a problem down the road). They hand out bids like candy. it's a joke that you rated phi tau / alpha sig above sigma pi, sigma nu, or phi delt, all three of which have proven themselves over the last 10 years to be respectable. Phi tau has screwed up so many times in the last decade it would be gone if it didn't have a strong alumni backing and alpha sig has only been on campus for a year or two.

as for sigma chi, their pledge class was just small (definitely not worse than the jokes that alpha sig and phi tau took). doesn't instantly turn them into bottom tier. regardless, they still have AR to party at, are good at sports, and have socials with all the top sororities.

by: person aboveMay 14, 2013 10:58:26 PM

is obviously in sigma chi. why are you even posting on this? You're not even a fraternity anymore. You posting on this is similar to a Delta Psi Delta or a Tau Gamma Theta posting on this. You're irreverent.

By: person above
by: frattMay 15, 2013 10:54:22 AM

heh, not sigma chi, but it's clear that I guessed what fraternity you're in and i'm pretty sure I hurt your feelings :(

by: imMay 15, 2013 8:30:34 PM

not in one. but if i was to join one it would probably be sigma nu

By: im
by: uhhMay 16, 2013 3:15:11 AM

that wasn't me. multiple people are posting on this.

By: uhh
#3  by: sigma kappa   

this is just from my view, including the suspended houses.

Top: Theta Chi, Sigma Chi, Sigma Pi

Middle: Kappa Sig, Phi Tau, Sigma Nu

Bottom: Phi Delt, Pike

are the only ones not suspended or in trouble right now theta chi, sigma pi, phi tau, sigma nu and phi delt?

By: sigma kappa
#4  by: sigma kappa   

oh and i forgot alpha sigma phi bottom

By: sigma kappa
#5  by: person above   

sigma pi is suspended and their nationals may be pulling their charter from them for hazing.

So Theta chi, alpha sig, sigma nu, phi tau, and phi delt are the only ones on campus currently.

I have a feeling one of alpha sig, sigma nu, phi tau, or phi delt may become a top house because no one is going to join an unaffiliated fraternity that can't do socials or do anything with panhellenic.

By: person above
by: chicoMay 14, 2013 8:26:21 PM

lot of rumors getting posted here as if they are fact. sigma pi is not suspended, they are being investigated. no sanctions have happened yet. also, i highly doubt their nationals would pull their charter based on allegations seeing as they are a rather large and successful chapter.

the only fraternities I could see moving up due to the suspensions are phi delt and sigma nu.

By: chico
by: alsoMay 14, 2013 8:47:28 PM

there's no way phi delt could move up. they got 2 pledges this year and both weren't freshman. Sigma Nu got a large pledge class but most of the kids in it are weird and didn't get in anywhere else.

By: also
by: aboveMay 14, 2013 10:26:19 PM

you can say the exact same thing about phi tau and alpha sig... the only fraternities that were selective with bids were theta chi, sigma pi, and sigma chi.

By: above
by: aboveMay 14, 2013 11:11:55 PM

Yes this is true. However, since Sigma Chi isn't on IFC anymore they will most likely not get any quality pledges, and Sigma Pi may be suspended. Theta Chi is the only top fraternity that still exists and is not at risk for suspension. This will allow other fraternities to rise up and recruit better quality members. If all of the fraternities leave affiliation Sigma Pi is going to be out of question considering that their house is so small, Phi Delta Thetas nationals don't allow them to drink in the house, Alpha Sig can't drink in their house due to their lease, and Sigma Nu's house is extremely small for parties and far away. Theta Chi, Sigma Chi, Phi Kappa Tau, and Kappa Sigma are the only fraternities with quality houses which can host large parties to recruit freshman and new members.

#6  by: also   

and all the "top tier" quality people aren't going to be able to fit into theta chi because their fraternity already has 100+ actives. So another smaller fraternity will need to take in all of the new members.

By: also
#7  by: above    

Phi tau has less than 20 or so members bunch of weird people got a bid this semester for showing up to one rush event only 3 pledges.
sigma pi i heard they haze you as pledge, mix of chill guys and Douche bags
theta chi a lot of douche bags a lot of members in it stereotypical jock frat
sigma nu weird guys can party chill
phi delt chill guys smart successful in community
alpha sig a wanna be phi delt
ps phi delt had 5 pledges 2 freshmen and 3 non freshmen
any house of the above can potentially move up in the ranking its all about who the recruit next semester

#8  by: chico   

theta chi got caught throwing a double kegger. looks like the system is about to go rogue!

By: chico
#9  by: My opinion   

Top:
Theta Chi/ Sigma Chi

Middle:
Alpha sig/ Phi delt/ Sigma Pi

Bottom:
Sigma Nu, Pike, Phi Tau, Kappa Sig

By: My opinion
by: My opinion2May 30, 2013 2:15:59 AM

I don't think most people see it that way.

Top: Theta Chi/Sigma Pi/Sigma Chi
Middle: Sigma Nu, Pike, Phi Tau
Bottom: Alpha sig/Phi delt/ Kappa sig

By: My opinion2
by: Chico girl May 30, 2013 9:03:53 PM

Sigma chi is no longer affiliated with the school. They can't do anything with sororities or any involvement so I don't see why people are ranking them at all, they are with delta psi delta, AGR, and tau gamma theta. Pike should not be ranked either because they will be gone after the suspension, their nationals aren't backing them.

Top: theta chi, sigma pi
Middle: sigma nu, phi tau, alpha sig
Bottom: phi delt, kappa sig.
GDIs: sigma chi, pike, AGR, delta psi delta, tau gamma theta.

By: Chico girl
by: aboveMay 30, 2013 10:38:16 PM

I agree with you. Sigma Chi was top house but I think they will be done. This has happened many times in Chicos Greek history, where prominent fraternities get kicked off and diminish in history due to stupid mistakes. A middle house will rise up and take their position because Sigma Pi and Theta Chi won't be able to take in massive amounts of people.

by: alumniAug 21, 2013 9:03:26 PM

Their nationals backed them which is why they decided to go unaffiliated instead of take a 2 year death sentence.

By: alumni
#10  by: lol sigmanu   

this is all that needs to be said about sigma who? www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB7qAev9654

By: lol sigmanu

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.