facebook

how competitive are the sororities here?

by: www

I want to rush next year and would you say that it is hard to get into a good house here? Do a lot of girls not get bids? What are your thoughts and experiences going through recruitment?

Posted By: www
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Beenthere donethat   

It's pretty intense. Most girls want delta gamma and alpha phi... those are the top houses with the prettiest most popular girls....The others aren't too hard to get into at all so unless you aren't smart and suicide bid you will get in somewhere. dg and aphi it can be pretty hard to get called back so you need to really convince them with your first impressions.

By: Beenthere donethat
by: hahahaNov 14, 2013 4:56:11 PM

are we still pretending they're top house? cute.

By: hahaha
by: .Nov 16, 2013 7:21:41 PM

Most girls going through recruitment did not want DG and/or Aphi and there was a lot of discussion of them putting those chapters in their bottom two. That is not what I would call a top house. They are very pretty and outgoing girls, but in the last year or two, their attitudes - inside and outside of recruitment - have begun to turn people off of their chapter. They aren't what they used to be.

By: .
by: The truthDec 21, 2013 12:06:07 PM

Awwww cute! You're trying to hate on them because you couldn't be one of them.... Poor baby. Time to let it go!

By: The truth
#2  by: depends   

In reality, yes some are hard to get into. some will take anyone. If you want a bid from DG, Theta, Gphi, or Aphi, good luck. others I wouldn't be too worried about.

By: depends
#3  by: Truth   

They are all good houses at Chapman. Going through recruitment, have an open mind and you will find a house for you. It is a mutual selection process so you have some say, too. As for getting into the top houses, they are only more difficult because they have more specific qualities in the girls they want. That may or may not be a good thing. Recruitment is very competitive, though. And going through recruitment you will see which houses you would be comfortable in. Don't go in with your heart set on any one house. Keep an open mind.

By: Truth
#4  by: Chapman Greek    

If you want to join a sorority, you will get into one. Because we are a small private school we like to think our Greek life is super intense- it's not. Compared to almost every college in the South and like 80% of east coast colleges, Greek life here is super relaxed. Don't worry about getting in, worry about fitting in, because that's the most important!

By: Chapman Greek
#5  by: cu greek   

Being behind the scenes this year for recruitment, I can say all the houses do the recruiting process differently. I agree, if you go in with an open mind you have a much better chance of getting a bid, especially from a sorority you're interested in. All the houses, for the most part, are very particular about what they want in a girl though. Some will give you more of a chance than others.
My main advice, and your Rho Gams will tell you more about it during the process as well, is to be friendly, willing to listen, ask a lot of questions, and DON'T talk about parties, boys and and drinking. A majority of girls in Greek life love to go out, but it's not a topic that should be brought into the recruiting process. In a lot of cases it could screw you over. Be professional.

By: cu greek
#6  by: Panhellenic Panther   

Hey now, keep the claws in! www is just trying to get a grasp of the Greek community and I don't think this is the message we want to send.

Like many of the others have said, www, it really is best to keep an open mind and go with your gut in recruitment. Each house is different and has their own system, so don't try to mold yourself into what they think they're looking for- you won't end up showing them who you are and it will be impossible for them to know if you would be happy in their house.

Luckily, you are given orientation week and the first week of classes to settle in, and I found that what helped me determine who I felt most comfortable with and who I admired most came from those two weeks. Keep an eye out for those who inspire you, support you, and who you admire in those first couple weeks, for those will be the women you want to surround yourself with the most in the next few years (and I'm not talking about looks alone!). I myself ended up in the same sorority as my Orientation Assistant and another woman who I was inspired by in a class and who took me under my wing!

Many women receive a bid, and if they don't, we have a high number of women who also rush later in their college careers as well, so if you don't feel like you click with anyone, take a year and rethink. By then, you may have found many other groups on campus as well!

Hope that helped, and I wish you the best of luck during recruitment!

By: Panhellenic Panther
#7  by: heyyo   

Just to throw in my two cents, all the chapters at Chapman have something to offer you. It is not about getting into a "top house" at Chapman because (outside of this site) almost all of us have friends in almost all of the chapters. Seriously. Five of my closest friends at Chapman are all in different chapters. Going through recruitment for me, it was very clear to me the organization I wanted to be apart of and that is what I pursued. You will make friends in any chapter, but look at the organization's values and activities and determine if you want to be apart of that.

Also, I rushed twice with different outcomes - declined a bid the first time and got my top choice the second. So don't stress too much about going through recruitment because it is not a make or break situation in my opinion.

By: heyyo

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.