facebook

new chapter

by: Guest

So did they decide that KA is for sure going to be back at Baylor? The Lariat in April said that once Baylor made its decision, it would start up by the end of the semester and nothing official has been said about it since then...

Posted By: Guest
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: ^   

I been wondering the same...

By: ^
#2  by: ya   

I'm pretty sure KA was the choice. There is just a lot of things that go on before anything ever really begins to happen on campus.

By: ya
#3  by: yes   

Its on Baylor's list of fraternities on campus and in parenthesis by them it says 2016. So I would say its safe to say they are coming back.

By: yes
#4  by: I know too much   

Yeah there next, but a lot goes on "behind the scenes" if you will before they start recruiting.

It will be interesting to see how they compete with other re-chartered fraternities like Sigma Chi.

By: I know too much
#5  by: ^   

They will all just cannibalize each other.

And we will have what we have always had....a bunch of 50 man weak chapters

by: I know too muchJul 28, 2015 12:02:15 PM

It's what Baylor wanted.Each chapter weaker than before gives them more power.

They are hoping the additions will also force inactive fraternities to participate more or face competitive from others and die (i.e. TKE is dead Baylor adds another).

Newly established chapters tend to get a bigger push from nationals to be campus active, a major dealmaker that is making the current Baylor Greek administrators proactive in adding new chapters. Baylor doesn't see inactivity as much as problem on the sorority side, but it knows it will have to eventually add again if the balance becomes to lopsided.

Honestly the average IFC chapter has to up membership numbers to get to respectable amounts compared to similar school chapters (SMU, TCU).

By: I know too much
#6  by: Yea   

It really is a joke.... At our peer institutions: UT, SMU, TCU.

And even the academically inferior rivals: A&M, Tech

The average chapter size is like 150

30 man pledge classes are the norm and some even as high as 55.

At Baylor it's like 14.... Only KOT, ATO, and KSig take regular 20 man plus pledge classes

By: Yea
#7  by: On you own   

Usually, the new fraternity makes a pitch to both the admin. and IFC. The fact that KA was an inactive chapter at Baylor with alumni helping to make that pitch is an important consideration. If a significant number of alumni had been successful students and had successful careers is also a very important intangible. If the alumni still hold reunion events and have stayed in contact with each other is important and will impress IFC members. Baylor admin. probably also identified a need for an added fraternity chapter. Likely, a significant number of students were going through IFC recruitment and not getting bids or, for some reason, not joining in numbers as compared to the sororities. The fact that KA Baylor alumni would be present probably played a key role in it getting picked (assuming there was competition from other fraternities to colonized.).

By: On you own
#8  by: Truth   

Baylor only needs about as many fraternities as it has sororities....so just 8 or 9

And hopefully ones that have some history at Baylor....1970s founding dates.

So....KOT, KSig, SAE, Fiji, Phi Delt, SigEp, Sigma Chi, ATO, Beta

That's about all you need.

Kick Pi Kapp and TKE off and don't bring anymore on

By: Truth
#9  by: Mark   

KA is top tier to middle tier everywhere they are. No doubt they are going to do fine. But phi Delt, SigEp and Delt are screwed

By: Mark
by: ^Jul 30, 2015 12:18:59 AM

Different fraternities are better at different schools. This sort of universalizing logic isn't really true. Phi Delt, SigEp, and Delt will be fine. KA will struggle for a while then probably do ok. The bigger problem is the number of fraternities we have compared to the small number of solid kids rushing. Baylor simply has too many fraternities to the point that even the better ones are terrible in comparison to our peer institutions.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.