facebook

why go greek?

by: clueless freshman

So why should I go greek?
I've found several groups of girls that I really spending time with during and outside of sub dinners. But why should I pledge?
I've heard about the big events they do, the formals and mixers and crush and float. I get that I'd be participating in all those events, but how will being in a sorority affect me in my daily life? What is the time commitment like and what will I be doing with the time I put into this organization?
And any other reasons why to (or not to) go greek in y'alls opinion?
Thanks.

Posted By: clueless freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Advice   

Greek life is sort of its own world, and you'll be shut out of it if you don't pledge. Even Beta and ADPi, have more respect from Greeks than geeds.

Freshman year is easy to make friends because everyone is new and no one is in a group yet. This all changes your sophomore, junior and senior years. Trust me I only pledge my sophomore year, and I kick myself everyday for not having joined a year earlier. It's super fun and totally worth it.

By: Advice
#2  by: So    

Tough love here: going Greek means being a "somebody" at baylor rather than being a nobody. Once your friends start pledging they won't have time for people outside of the Greek system. Some sororities only hang out with each other but most sorority girls are friends with girls in other sororities... Very few are friends with many gdis. You wouldn't be helping anyone advance socially, so you're not really worth their time.

By: So
#3  by: go greek!   

both answers above are right. you might have friends now, but joining a sorority will give you the opportunity to make SO many more. you will always have friends in your classes, know so many people around campus, have people to give you some tutoring, have a ride to the airport, have people to turn to whenever you need them no matter what. Regarding the time commitment, you get out what you put into it. You can spend absolutely no time with sorority stuff if you choose not to, but you're gonna wanna get more involved than that.

By: go greek!
#4  by: More   

I don't know if you're from the south or not, but greek life is very important to people even at Baylor.

Also lthough it may not seem like it is at first, as you get older, you'll start to get bored with Waco life if you're not in a fraternity or sorority. Honestly I feel that everyone should have to be in one group or another, and have the person opt out if they don't like it their freshmen year.

By: More
#5  by: do it   

you're gonna feel like you're a real part of the school and you won't feel like you're missing out on anything. It will give you a connection and make you love it here even more

By: do it

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.