facebook

room for a new sorority?

by: Wondering

Hey everyone, looking for honest answers from sorority members. You probably know there used to be seven sororities at ETSU. Besides the four you have, there was also Phi Mu, DZ and AOII. Three family members, including my mom, were in one of them and say a lot of alums really want to re-colonize on campus. Do you all think ETSU would be open to expansion? Is there enough interest to support another sorority?

Posted By: Wondering
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: ^^This.   

But I can tell you the new sorority will not be Phi Mu. They have informed their alumnae that they are not pursuing ETSU because they have too many other new chapters starting up next year.

By: ^^This.
by: TrueMar 12, 2016 10:27:53 AM

Unfortunately! My friend's mom is a Phi Mu alum through the chapter that was here and members got a letter from nationals explaining that very thing. She said they're all really disappointed. Had been wanting to see them reopen for a really long time! Anyway, how I understand it to be is that when a campus opens for expansion, nationals submit their interest, then there are official presentations and one is chosen to come. I haven't heard yet which sororities submitted, though.

By: True
by: :(Mar 17, 2016 10:42:08 AM

I know it's not the news your mom and her friends want to hear, but that's a smart move for Phi Mu. They aren't going to take on more than they can handle. You don't want them to pursue expansion and have the new chapter struggle.

By: :(
#12  by: ...   

She said the alums were okay, just really disappointed at first because they'd been waiting a long time for us to open for expansion only to find out it's not the right time for them to come back. She said the good thing about the letter they got, though, is that Phi Mu's nationals said they definitely want to re-open the chapter here sometime in the future, so it wasn't like they told them no forever. It's just no for now until it's a better time. I think she said they're already opening three or four new chapters this fall.

By: ...
by: !Mar 21, 2016 10:34:06 AM

It looks like phi Mu will open the following chapters this fall:
Rho Nu Chapter at Northern Kentucky University in fall 2016.
Epsilon Iota Chapter at Texas Christian University in fall 2016.
Zeta Zeta Chapter at Saint Louis University in fall 2016.
Gamma Alpha Chapter at The College of William & Mary in fall 2016.
Delta Beta Chapter at the University of Illinois as early as fall 2016.
Zeta Eta Chapter at the University of Minnesota in fall 2016.

This is on their nationals' website. Glad they won't take on the risk to open another for Fall16. Smart on their behalf!

By: !
by: ...Mar 21, 2016 11:26:03 PM

Wow, even more than I first heard. I'm sure it's a lot to take on, so definitely better to wait when they can give them the attention. I have a friend who pledged AOII when they colonized at Florida State a couple of years ago, and she loves it but says it's really hard work and very time consuming being in a new chapter and trying to get established on campus.

By: ...
by: !Mar 21, 2017 1:17:12 PM

Starting a chapter is lots of work, but worth it. Plus, you would be a founder of the chapter. All sorority members put in a lot of work regardless of how old the chapter is!

By: !
#13  by: Presenters??   

Hope they announce the presenters soon!!

By: Presenters??
by: Same hereMar 21, 2016 11:31:28 PM

I can't wait to find out!

By: Same here
#14  by: hmmm   

I know Alpha Omicron Pi applied, but not sure who else

By: hmmm
#15  by: Non Greek Gal   

I know from talking to the sororities that this is going to hurt them. I think the Greek community is finally growing why add another and ruin what they have grown.

By: Non Greek Gal
by: NahSep 24, 2016 7:43:30 PM

It won't ruin what has grown. It will make the other chapters stronger. Adding a new chapter invigorates the Greek community-you'll see!

By: Nah
#16  by: Well   

I think it's AOII, DZ and Alpha Phi coming to present.

By: Well
by: NoMay 2, 2016 11:18:47 AM

Not sure where you got that from...

By: No
by: respons/ FYISep 17, 2017 6:57:07 PM

AOII, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Delta Zeta and Gamma Phi Beta presented with AOII chosen/colonizing/installing during 2016. And between 2016 and 2017 formal recruitment quota has slumped from 42 down to 25, so chapter total has been lowered to reflect same.

By: respons/ FYI

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.