facebook

bid night advice rant

by: Satisfied Sophomore

First things first. If you went through recruitment but dropped, stay in your room tonight, turn on your headphones to drown out noise and just relax and study. Columbia female GDI sophomore here. Y am I here you may ask? Well, one of my good friends who is a freshman went through recruitment this year and is currently inconsolable. This disappointed memory is fresh for me and I feel for her. I am also friends with girls in every organization and I have heard the same plight from every single one of them to know that a problem with recruitment exists and change needs to be made. What will be done? I also want to shed my opinion as I also went through recruitment last year as an impressionable naive freshman but quit after Saturday when I was dropped from my favorites. If I can help one disappointed freshman, then it's worth it as I too, shamelessly thought my world had ended. I felt many similar emotions to the women in the Spec and Bwog articles. In hindsight, being dropped was the best thing that could've happened to me. I have met so many interesting people that I may not have met otherwise, I have had time to work two valuable internships, and I have been able to find and learn more about myself throughout this year than ever before. There are so many more clubs and activities on campus to experience than the sorority system not to mention the best city in the world to explore. Take advantage of these opportunities and don't fret on being shallowly judged by strangers based on a a short meaningless conversation.

Posted By: Satisfied Sophomore
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Satisfied Sophomore   

I do agree that 'Barnard Bimbos' is an unfair term although there exists a certain rep on campus about them. There are many accomplished women who attend and will go on to great success. Granted however, the facts are that ED at Barnard is in the 40th percentile with an overall AR of 25% versus Columbia's 6%. Statistically, it is harder for a freshman female also competing against males to be admitted to Columbia versus Barnard, for whatever it's worth.

As for recruitment, for me it was tiring, shallow and overall not enjoyable. I didn't love any of the groups although I did like Theta's parties slightly more than Deeg with the others below them. But, I did not make either of their lists and at that point was distraught. I subsequently have become friends with outstanding women in all of the sororities and have heard their troubles over the year, sorority life is far from perfect and I know they all agree. Freshmen that are disappointed, I have been there. I feel your pain but I am relieved I didn't join as jealousy, gossip, pettiness, competition and drama exists in each of them. With time, I think that you too will be relieved, trust me.

By: Satisfied Sophomore
#2  by: Satisfied Sophomore   

Regarding Theta, it is unfair for there to be so many Theta hatas because similar problems can exist anytime a group of women gets together. I think the problem with Theta in particular is it's one of the most desired chapters. They drop you, you are going to have hurt feelings. Another issue is it is actually as if they are two sororities. The very large majority of the girls seem to be intelligent, authentic, respected and possess positive qualities. But a small group don't necessarily possess those desired qualities. Think high school 'mean girls' who haven't grown up. The try hard slick wannabes as mentioned in the Bwog article are the ones who are katty to everyone except their clique. These 'booze and boys' sisters are the ones who harm Theta's rep. As far as I've heard on too many occasions to remember, many of those sisters attend Barnard although I've only heard this from males who have hit and run so take it for whatever it's worth. Deeg has plenty o problems 2 but they don't seem to be as diverse personality wise and don't get as much grief as a result. Eeryone knows Theta is the most trad sorority here but Deeg doesn't care about sisterhood or the campus social scene. Social life is the downtown club scene, dates lean towards post grads and Wall Street types. Most are sophisticated and past the college scene so in some ways the sorority overall is more mature because they simply don't care about sisterhood. I am so happy I didn't get selected to any of the groups. To the disappointed freshmen out there, please take your recruitment experience, learn from it and just move on. College life is going to be a meaningful experience but only if you make it so. Now put on your headphones, completely avoid social media and veg for the evening.

By: Satisfied Sophomore
#3  by: OK troll   

you obviously wrote all of these messages. get over yourself

By: OK troll

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.