facebook

sorority recruitment

by: Me

I will be a freshman this fall. I'm coming from a small town very far away and will know no one at Columbia or in New York. I feel like a sorority will be a great way to make this big change a lot less scary. I am a little concerned though. I've read the news reports about the Kappa Alpha Theta party and wonder if I should even bother with recruitment since I am Mexican American. Is this kind of attitude that would make people think this type of theme is ok prevalent around campus? Are there non-white members in all the sororities? Will I be uncomfortable because of my race? I am both a first generation American and college student. My family is equally concerned. They worked very hard to support me and were so excited when I was accepted to Columbia. Now we're all pretty concerned that this might not be the right place for me after all. Any advice or help you could give would be so appreciated!

Posted By: Me
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: sororities   

first of all - don't believe the stuff you read! definitely go through recruitment :) I would say some of the most diverse sororities are sigma delta tau and alpha chi omega but i think most to all of them are both diverse and accepting. definitely give recruitment a shot! also as a whole columbia is very VERY accepting and i wouldn't worry at all.

By: sororities
#2  by: Not funny   

The people here saying that the Theta thing "wasn't a big deal" are probably Thetas trying to mend their reputation. Though a few of these comments seem like racism isn't taken seriously here, it definitely is and you shouldn't feel discouraged from coming here because of their actions. Yes, there can be ignorance in the overall Columbia community, but I've found that people are generally a) not ignorant and b) willing to learn more about things like privilege to better themselves as people. Also, though I love Greek life and highly encourage you to go through recruitment, don't think it's the only way to get involved on campus! There are tons of groups and clubs you could join, including a few Latina-specific ones (Mujeres is the first that comes to mind). There are also multicultural sororities, with a Latina specific one, Sigma Lambda Gamma, which does a ton of awesome work. I've met so many incredible women from SLG and you should definitely check it out if you're interested.

By: Not funny
#3  by: seriously?   

OP is so obviously a troll - give it up already

By: seriously?
by: HonestlyJul 14, 2014 10:02:54 PM

Oh look, it's another Theta trying to defend the indefensible.

By: Honestly
#4  by: But really   

Please don't use the phrase 'for giggles' it bothers me

By: But really

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.