facebook

why don't more fraternitys accomplish this??

by: Happy pledge

Hey guys, I'm a Junior at ASU, and I never really considered going Greek until earlier this semester. I rushed every house that I could trying to find the best guys. I found a few houses that were alright, but I was always turned off by the price of dues. I work two jobs and go to school full time, and I can't understand how anyone manages to pay for rent, school, and on top of that dues. Despite really wanting to be in a Greek organization I was about to give up when I rushed Sigma Psi Sigma. I was shocked when I talked to the rush chair and he informed me that instead of charging dues, the brothers all team up to raise the money needed to support the chapter. It didn't take long for me to think about this, and sign a bid card. I'm currently a Sigma Psi pledge, and I am just wonder why no other fraternity has thought of doing this? Not only does it eliminate monthly dues, but the fundraising is a fun activity that brings the fraternity closer together as brothers. Anyway, just my 2 cents :)

Posted By: Happy pledge
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: reasons   

Most fraternities do spend their time fundraising - for charity. Convincing people to donate money, so that your chapter can do "fraternity things" like have socials, buses for brotherhood events, t shirts etc would be almost impossible. Fraternity budgets often eclipse 100k a semester. You think you can raise 200k/year to do this kind of stuff when fraternities and sororities struggle to raise 1/10 that amount for actual charities? Now, if your budget was like a few hundred dollars a year, maybe even a couple grand, I could see this working. However, this means your chapter isn't doing much. For example, imagine raising money for multiple buses to las vegas, hotel rooms there, gifts for dates, t shirts, etc. This is an event that most fraternities do, and can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Who wants to donate this to some 19-22 year olds? In short, relying on donations would mean not doing much and having a fraternity that would be stuck in the bottom. Even a house party can cost thousands (atleast several hundred) just for alc and decorations...and good chapters hold these practically all the time.

By: reasons
#2  by: LEARN TO SPELL….   

How can you be a Junior when you don't know how to spell?
Fraternities

By: LEARN TO SPELL….

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.