facebook

gpa

by: ?

does anybody know the gpa requirement for each sorority ?

Posted By: ?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: One who knows   

Here's a quote from a sorority alumna on a big Greek-life website, that I clipped and saved once:

"NPC sororities were founded on scholarship principles. It was brutal to be a woman back in the 19th century, entering higher education, which was a man's world. Our predecessors were not treated well at all. You can read about it in history books; the struggles were real.

"We take great pride in that fact. Further, we continue to value scholarship. Hence, there is competition for GPA each semester in the active chapters, and use of GPA as a membership selection criterion. That doesn't mean just great grades. It's the whole package: a lifelong interest in learning, a keen mind, intellectual curiosity, and willingness to impart and receive knowledge, just for starters."

It's why scholarship and grades and study hours are important. A GLO prefers members who will be a credit to it not only in college but for the rest of their lives, which for women nowadays automatically includes a professional career of some kind.

That said: There's truly brilliant girls, and those who struggle, and the large majority in between. In general with any house, a girl with a sub 3.0 GPA from HS or college (transfers) had better be really extraordinary in some other ways (e.g., I was an alternate on the Olympic gymnastics team so my grades slipped) to make up for that problem, and also have a very good explanation and real potential to do better. (But then she'd probably not be a UCSB student anyway.) 3.0 to 3.2 is borderline IMHO. 3.2 and up is respectable or very respectable, depending on the elevation and the major. I think these numbers would be more or less effective across the board, although I couldn't swear to that, and welcome any other information.

It's part of combination of factors that go into pledging someone. As with any rule there will be unfair exceptions. Is a girl's dad the state governor? Is her mom really famous? Does she have a bazillion Instagram followers, or is she a fourth-generation legacy whose mom is on the board at the national? If you're in such a category you would already know, so -- back to the GPA being important!

By: One who knows
#2  by: GPA   

^What a reply! LOL the GPA minimum is usually 3.0 for freshmen and a bit lower for upperclassmen. If you are a freshman and you got into UCSB, you are most likely an entire point above the GPA minimum. If you are a junior transfer you are also most likely above the minimum. If you are a sophomore with a low GPA, that's a red flag and may prevent you from joining the house you want.

By: GPA

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.