facebook

national vs. school reputation

by: Lo

Can anyone tell me if it's worth preffing a nationally strong sorority in order to have better connections after graduation, with alumni networks, etc.? It seems pretty clear that SDT's top at Northeastern, but they don't have a huge/impressive presence at other schools. Thinking longterm, would it be advantageous to go with Kappa, DZ, or KD (or even Chi Omega) because they're so well established nationally?

Posted By: Lo
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: sorority   

There are professional advantages to preffing sororities that are stronger nationally, obviously. However, you have to keep in mind which chapter you connect with best at Northeastern. Sororities go beyond professional networking. SDT is obviously a great chapter, as are the others you mentioned (Kappa, DZ, KD, etc.) But what is most important is where you fit in best. This will become obvious to you during recruitment week.

By: sorority
#2  by: sororitygirl   

If you're only rushing for the purpose of networking after college, I don't think that's a strong enough reason to join a sisterhood. Yes, an affiliation with a sorority may provide professional connections in the future, however you're going to Northeastern. The best professional connections you make will by far be though Co-Op, connections that (in my opinion) will overshadow sorority connections. All the sororities you named are great chapters, but don't preference a sorority just cause it has a strong national presence. Preference it because the sisterhood at Northeastern specifically is the one you most want to be a part of. You'll thank yourself.

By: sororitygirl
#3  by: nah   

A lot of people go into recruitment with this mindset, but it's one of those things that once you join a sorority you realize how little that matters. First of all, you will be in this sorority for up to 5 years, so you definitely want to make sure that time is enjoyable and not fake. You don't know how much being in a sisterhood can impact your Northeastern life; it changes it in the most incredible way. Thinking about being stuck with girls who I don't really click with for 5 years sounds bad. Second of all, the connections you will make with the people in your chapter are more important than stranger alumnae across the country (they are really not going to be SO instrumental in your career if they don't know you- this is phasing out). But, you will have 100+ girls that actually know you and your talents and will be glad to hook a sistah up.

By: nah
#4  by: NEU   

just go through recruitment open minded

By: NEU
#5  by: LOVE   

Keep an open mind, and make sure you are joining for the right reasons: sisterhood, support, betterment of the community, betterment of yourself.

By: LOVE
#6  by: hi   

be openminded!

By: hi

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.