facebook

retention rate

by: Nerd

Is there some data driven documentation of the retention rate for each sorority? A lot has been said and rebutted about this aspect of Greek life. I want to see the data so the real truth can be seen. I don't want hearsay.

Posted By: Nerd
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Good ?   

I've asked this same question before and had no response. It seems some people want to accuse a group of bad retention rate but really they don't know. Specific data on grades, withdrawal due to professional school acceptance, or early graduation is what spurs a girl dropping membership. It's not always poor grades. But without data, we can't know for sure.

By: Good ?
by: Answer Jan 28, 2016 4:32:06 PM

It's pretty easy, top 4 have the highest retention rates. It varies by each year though. Zeta and adpi typically have the lowest retention rates.

By: Answer
#2  by: Sssss   

Some sororities list their members on their websites making it very easy to determine their retention rates. Phi Mu breaks down their members by class making it easy to determine retention for each class if you know quota for each year. DG and Tri Delt list all members together. Chi O, KD, Zeta, ADPi and Pi Phi do not list members (for privacy reasons). One website has a number of members listed but the same number has been there since they did the website my freshman year (I'm a senior) so it's far from correct now.

I might sound like a stalker but I love Greek life and am interested in each groups' success so I look at the websites occasionally.

By: Sssss
by: SssssJan 28, 2016 5:06:39 PM

There is no way to know why some members drop their sorority. Grades? Money? Nursing school? Transfer? Just not happy? Who knows!

By: Sssss
#3  by: Exactly   

So the next time a know it all says Sorority X has a poor retention rate by looking at the number a graduating seniors in the spring, please please please copy and paste the last statement.

By: Exactly
by: NoJan 28, 2016 9:51:29 PM

It doesn't always matter why a group lost members if it's a trend for the group. If a chapter consistently takes quota but loses 50% of the class by senior year then retention is an issue regardless of the reason. Losing that many members ends up affecting the overall size of the sorority. 310 members versus 260 is significant if both chapters pledge the same number each year.

By: No
#4  by: And.....   

The know it all raises her head! Which group lost 50% of their pledge class by graduation ? Or did they get a double major and stay an extra semester? Or do the reasons matter? Why do you hate certain groups? I want YOUR data? Please supply!

By: And.....
by: Really???Jan 29, 2016 12:59:06 AM

A little touchy? I was using numbers as an example not talking about specific groups! If you need numbers go count the members listed on Phi Mu's site, Tri Delts and DGs since they are the groups who list members!

By: Really???
by: RightJan 29, 2016 8:14:28 AM

Funny, you only call someone a "know it all" when they share some facts (or how to find some facts) and their correct response doesn't fit your agenda.

By: Right
#5  by: Just sayinh   

In DGs newest pc only 2 girls have dropped at all and one of them has been seriously ill and did not want to leave. So really they've only lost one girl who didn't like it.

By: Just sayinh
by: RightJan 29, 2016 8:10:09 AM

Some people don't realize retention is crucial to a sororities success overtime.

By: Right
#6  by: No   

The pledge classes have gotten a lot bigger over the past years. 4 years ago total was about 60 then it rose to 70 then to 85ish then 100 (these are rough numbers) a full house with no dropping would be around 320 so if a house has 260 that's not 50% of girls dropping just saying. The 150 mark would be 50%. Any house in the upper 200s id say has pretty good retention rates.

By: No
by: ButJan 29, 2016 5:16:28 PM

The reference was 50% of s pledge class not the entire chapter. So a pledge class of 80 down to 40 by senior year

By: But
by: OkJan 29, 2016 5:19:47 PM

There are at least 2 chapters with over 300 members

By: Ok
by: HdtmjddJan 29, 2016 5:36:17 PM

Why do you care about retention rate? The goal is to develop women to reach their full potential. If leaving for nursing school or taking an extra semester to receive a minor degree means the retention rate may get screwed up. All of the sororities say these things in their creed- to seek betterment for women and to develop women to meet their full potential. Get over yourself for not realizing there is more to 4 year retention.

By: Hdtmjdd
by: @hdtmjddJan 29, 2016 9:36:35 PM

The op was about retention. Looks like they were answering a question

By: @hdtmjdd

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.