facebook

watermelon fest

by: Hmmmm

Sometimes I think lambda chi picks their queen from certain houses just to get better girls going to their house. Just saying.

Posted By: Hmmmm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Lol   

Their house mom picks the queen. Just saying.

By: Lol
by: @lolSep 10, 2015 11:32:35 AM

And the guys have NOTHING to do with it?? Really?!?!

By: @lol
#2  by: Haha   

True!!

By: Haha
#3  by: Um   

I don't think any phi moos will be going there anytime soon. Idk what houses even go there maybe zeta?

By: Um
#4  by: @um   

Could you be any less classy? Way to up your game! You are a real winner.....

By: @um
#5  by: Curious   

Since they broke the record for can donations, how many cans were sororities required to bring for Watermelon Fest this year? I know a few absolutely require it and the others are strictly by donation.

Yes the whole concept of canned goods for the needy is wonderful but I still see it as "buying" a win if a certain number of cans are required by your sorority.

By: Curious
#6  by: So   

Is the winner strictly from cans donated?

By: So
by: @SoSep 12, 2015 3:14:14 AM

Basically, yes. One sorority can win every event (Queen, watermelon decorating, volleyball) and then not even place in the finals because of the number of cans donated. Some sororities ASK members to bring cans for the can count (it's done by pound) while others REQUIRE members to bring a ridiculous number of cans. I've heard some groups require over 75-100 cans per girl. So you really are "buying a win"

Watermelon Fest is really fun because is a time for New Members to bond but the point system is bad.

By: @So
#7  by: Same   

Point system is bad for derby days also. If you win basketball you pretty much win

By: Same
#8  by: Eh.   

I think this is just a little bitter about groups who don't have members who go above and beyond in can donation. The ENTIRE point of Watermelon Fest is to donate canned food to stock the shelters in Starkville. So why would a pointless event (fun and bonding, but not helping philanthropy) like the games or decorating hold the same weight as who actually HELPS people the most by donating the most cans? A few sororities "require" their members to bring X amount of cans, but the amount only keeps going up more and more every year because girls are voluntarily getting more. I think it's extremely shallow to cause a fuss about the point system or who wins because another sorority donated more. And before someone says it, I'm not even in dg (assuming this is directed at that since they won?), but my sorority also "requires" new members to bring cans.

By: Eh.
by: @EhSep 12, 2015 9:59:17 PM

Bitter? Absolutely not. It's buying a win, period. That's just how many people see it. Derby Days, Charity Bowl and Limelight are viewed as the big events and even though their point systems aren't perfect, they are not set up so a win can be "bought".

The can donation is wonderful!!! There is no reason to change it just the point system.

By: @Eh
by: Eh.Sep 13, 2015 12:51:50 PM

For arguments sake, either last year or the year before (I really don't remember) the group who donated the most cans didn't win. And dg also won volleyball this year, so it wasn't strictly cans. If the overall point of Derby Days/Charity Bowl/Limelight were donation orientated, I guarantee wins could be "bought" in those events. I stand by my statements, this is just saying negative things about a positive philanthropy event without good reason.

By: Eh.
by: @EhSep 13, 2015 11:47:47 PM

Derby Days did have a similar component year before last involving points for purchases made at Juva Juice. It was dropped last year because there were so many complaints about it...

By: @Eh
by: ^^^Sep 16, 2015 12:10:33 PM

And when we say we're "required" its more of a "We would really appreciate if yall could try to get this many but if its a financial burden then come talk to us". Not to mention I had girls in my pledge class bringing in 250+ cans because they wanted to help out with charity. So if you're salty over losing becasue one sorority wanted to help people more then thats sad. I dont know how many DG had to bring but KD brought 100.

By: ^^^
by: HAHAHASep 22, 2015 6:32:23 PM

More like bring a certain number of can or we will fine you and use the money to buy cans to win. Stop kidding yourself.

By: HAHAHA
by: @HAHAHASep 22, 2015 7:17:12 PM

I am a DG and they made it clear if we couldn't afford it, not to worry about it. They gave us a number to aim for but they never fined anyone for not having enough cans. I know one of my friends brough in nearly 400 cans purely because she was passionate about the cause and had the means to do so. The reason we had so many cans was because so many girls went above and beyond on our own.

By: @HAHAHA
#9  by: Wondering   

Honestly, what is done with all of the cans collected? Surely it doesn't all go to one food pantry. None of them have enough room! I've also wondered if the food was able to be used before it expired! Does anyone know the answers...

By: Wondering
by: TheySep 17, 2015 9:13:25 AM

Brought all the cans to the Church of God this year and the church distributes it from there. And they ask for canned food for a reason (it doesn't expire quickly)

By: They

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.