facebook

being out of state

by: Pnm

Did/do some houses cut girls just because they're from out of state and the actives don't know them personally?

Posted By: Pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Out Of State Greek   

I am out of State and I am not going to lie it can definitely make recruitment a little harder. Seeing a fimiliar face can make you more comfortable and having someone in the chapter who knows you personally can help you not be cut in the first few rounds. However, if you go into a house and really be yourself and make sure you let the houses know you are having a good time and liking them you will be fine. I only got cut from one house all week and I believe it is because they didn't know me but it all turned out great. I am in a house I love and couldn't be happier! Just make a solid first impression and I am sure you will end up in the perfect house for you!

By: Out Of State Greek
#2  by: Just   

being OOS won't get you cut. But there are some factors to that that could either help you or hurt you. For example, if you and another girls have the same levels of involvement resume wise, are both put together and had good conversations, and both had about the same grades and test scores but one of you has to be cut (because Panhellenic tells us these numbers, and trust me when it gets down to the last 5 or so girls we HAVE to cut that night, discussions among actives can get heated) we'll look at a couple of things. If the other girl is in state we'll look at what area she's from. Do we have too many girls from that area coming back already? If we need to cut from that area is she the lowest ranked girl and even though we like her we want other girls more? In that case, being OOS helped you because we don't want to be known for only having MS girls. It could hurt you, however, if your recs came from alums of chapters we have no ties to. I.E. - you're from let's say Virginia and no one knows if you ~actually~ have a great rep and we don't want to risk letting a standards risk through. If your rec is from a lady none of our alums know that went to a small random school where the chapter isn't very strong, it won't hold the same weight as recs from alums, or at least alums from schools/chapters, that we trust. If you can get recs from MSU alums, even better. But larger schools with good greek life, especially if southern, will really help.

By: Just
#3  by: Just continued   

If you and the other girl on the chopping block that night are both OOS, whoever has a rec from a more TRUSTED source will probably get in. There are absolutely fantastic OOS girls who get cut because no one knew who wrote her rec and if that alum's word was good. That's unfortunate for those girls, but you have to remember sororities are looking to safe guard their reputations and we have to try to limit girls that could be standards risks. However, a lot of work goes into tracking down alums who write recs of girls we want that we don't know. Our rush team works literally all night calling people trying to find connections so we know we're making a good choice.

So long answer, but no you won't be cut just because you're OOS. But you should take some steps while preparing for rush to set yourself up to be the kind of OOS PNM chapters want to pledge.

By: Just continued
#4  by: Active    

Being out of state is a disadvantage. But no one will ever get cut soley because they are out of state, girls from out of state get cut because they don't know anyone so they don't have anyone in the house pulling for them. Connections are necessary! I am from out of state (Midwest) and got a top house however I networked and met girls in houses before hand.

By: Active
#5  by: Out of state    

I'm from out of state but I had a few friends that went here and I rushed and preffed my two favorite houses! I was cut from 2 houses during the week but that was it. Coming from out of state didn't really hurt me at all I felt like! When going through recruitment just be yourself and it will work out and you'll end up where you need to be!!

By: Out of state
#6  by: oos    

Yes, ur options will likely be zeta, pi phi, tri delt, or ADPI!! Tri delt and pi phi are wonderful choices!!

By: oos

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.