facebook

rush

by: PNM

Just wondering if I had bad luck or if there was a reason for me being dropped from every single sorority except for one? I was very involved in highschool, had really good grades, and had a good reputation and never posted anything bad on social media. I was even on homecoming court a couple of times. I just can't understand why I was released from so many houses. I felt like all the conversations went really well

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: ^   

Sorry that happened. Are you from out-of-state? Did you have 2 recommendations written by alumnae from each sorority, and did you know any of the girls in the houses? Sometimes, it's not who you know, but who knows you in the sorority houses. Wish you all the best of luck. A lot of girls without the connections fall through the cracks. I don't know if this was your situation or not, but if this was the case, there was nothing you could do about it. Just trying to provide some encouragement to you.

By: ^
#2  by: @PNM   

I do not know the exact reason why you were released by so many houses.. And you probably won't ever know that either. It could have been where you were from or the fact that nobody knew you. But I do want to encourage you to keep trying if you think sorority life is for you. A lot of sororities that don't meet chapter quota will have COB (Continuous Open Bidding) and will extend bids after bid day. Talk to your Gamma Chi about this, or try again next fall. I'm so sorry this happened to you, but don't let this change you or shatter your thoughts about yourself. It's not your fault!

By: @PNM
#3  by: I am PNM to.    

Kinda the exact same thing happened to me. I went from 2 yesterday, now to 1 today. I thought my conversations with the 2 from yesterday went really good? But I guess one didn't like me enough. Oh well! Just try to keep and open mind and stay positive!

By: I am PNM to.
#4  by: ^    

Sometimes if the actives in the houses don't know you personally, this can happen. I'm sorry that happened to you, but you never know what chances you might have with snap bids to sororities who don't make quota, or like the above poster said, COB. Make sure you talk to your Gamma Chi regarding this situation, and best of luck to you!

by: I am a PNM toAug 13, 2015 7:27:46 PM

Thank you so much! I will for sure talk to my gamma chi about all of that! I'm just trying to hold out till tomorrow with the one I have Left! Never know what can happen!

By: I am a PNM to
by: I am a PNM too. Aug 15, 2015 4:31:50 PM

Well, I did get cut! I didn't think it would be that hard but it is! I did talk to my gamma chi about snap bidding and I think that may be over now since bids have been handed out. I also asked about COB and she didn't really know much about it. Does anyone that could explain it? I've read a little about but not sure how it works here at state.

By: I am a PNM too.
by: ^Aug 15, 2015 4:37:58 PM

COB is only for houses that are still under chapter total as set by Panhellenic. I would assume the only house eligible to do COB is ADPI because they are new, but that doesn't guarantee they will do. They will probably take a spring class even if they don't COB. If you want to be Greek, and I highly encourage you to be, this would be your option. ADPI has some fantastic members and is off to a solid start on campus! If you cut them during rush I would encourage you to look at them again. If they cut you there is still a possibility you could get a bid later, but it is more unlikely. I'm sorry it didn't work out during rush! Keep up a positive attitude and find some places to get involved outside of greek life too, that will help you get a bid later and give you a group of friends!

by: I am a PNM tooAug 15, 2015 5:24:54 PM

Thank you so much for explaing all of that! I defiantly do want to get involved in a couple of organizations of campus for sure! ADPi did cut me I actually really liked them. Would you suggest maybe just rush again in the fall?

By: I am a PNM too
#5  by: To OP   

Why not contact Panhellenic on Monday to see if you can get on a COB list? If no one is cob'ing then try spring rush. In the meantime, join a club on campus that will enable you to meet sorority members so you can network. Good luck!

By: To OP
#6  by: ME   

I know there were several wonderful girls who ended up being released from everyone simply because each group thought they were going to pledge elsewhere. Sad but true. Ex: sorority ABC released her early on because they thought she was definitely pledging XYZ, LMN, or EFG. XYZ, LMN, and EFG released her after theme because they all thought she was definitely pledging a different group. Recruitment has gotten so competitive. Sororities have to make BIG cuts. At times the cuts come down to "who wants us?" If a PNM appears to be a strong lean to one group the others will release her.

This is why it is SO important for a PNM to let sorority girls know she is very interested in their group.

That's why the OP cannot take her release as a negative mark on her personally! Get involved on campus! Make good grades! Meet girls in all of the houses! Keep a good reputation and do it again next year!! Best of luck to you during your freshman year!

By: ME
#7  by: Apparently   

ADPi was under quota, which is good and bad. They might COB now, but will almost certainly spring rush. If you're still interested, even though they cut you, I would contact Panhellenic and their recruitment chair to see when and if they will be accepting more girls! Showing initiative is a huge compliment to the sorority and I"m sure they will be thrilled to know you are interested enough in them and greek Life to take the time to contact them! Honestly best of luck - keep us posted!

By: Apparently

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.