facebook

advice for pnms

by: ExGX

You know it's close to recruitment time when the claws come out on this website- let's change things up a bit and post something positive.

Actives: If you could give this year's girls going through recruitment any advice, what would it be?
It could be general advice, it could be advice based off of your own recruitment experience or your friend's, etc.

Keep it POSITIVE. We may not know which sorority you're in on here, but you are representing MSU Panhellenic as a whole.

I'll start....
PNMS, try to avoid "tent talk" or talking in large groups about your experiences in the houses, whether bad or good. It can affect someone else's perspective of the houses. As far as you know, the sorority you might have had an awful time in might be the sorority the girl next to you really likes, or even the only one left on her schedule.

Keep it positive or neutral please :)

Posted By: ExGX
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: dawg   

Id say that if you get your 2nd choice on bid day at least try it out for a week. I know a few girls that dropped when they didnt get their 1st choice and they regretted it after seeing all their friends go to sorority functions.

By: dawg
#2  by: Advice   

I agree with the op. Avoid "tent talk" because everybody will have a different opinion. Yes there are houses that are more popular or win more events, but all houses on State's campus are top chapters nationally. You cannot go wrong pledging any house.

It is estimated that there will be 1,000 girls going through this year and quota might be around or above 100 this year. Somebody that feels comfortable at ADPi may feel insecure at KD and vice versa. You cannot get upset because a top GPA chapter drops you because you have under a 3.0 or because you weren't involved in any extra curricular's in high school. There are a lot of girls to choose from and they want to make room for others that have proved themselves to be more mature and can handle college responsibilities.

When I went through recruitment, I got cut from a top house and I was so upset! But then I realized that they didn't want me, so I decided that I didn't want them either. If you are going into theme night with only two houses left, remember that those sororities WANT you to be there! You are finding YOUR fit, not what someone else thinks is best. You are in this sorority for life, so make sure that you like the people that you will be sisters with!

By: Advice
#3  by: MSU   

If you have an in-house sister there is a huge chance that you will be released by most of the other sororities after the first round. Don't let it upset you or get you down. The sororities here respect the sibling bond enough to not try and steal a sister. Yes, it may happen occasionally but rarely. I knew that I wanted to be in the sorority with my sister so I enjoyed the few houses that did invite me back and spent A LOT of time under the tent. On bid day being released from almost every house was totally forgotten after receiving a bid from my sister's sorority and running to join her at the amphitheater! Of course, if you are open to other groups make sure the other sororities know from the beginning that you have a completely open mind. AND make sure your sister knows too!

By: MSU
#4  by: Listen to YOU   

SO many girls here are being pressured by family or close friends to join a certain house to to never join a certain house. I'm an active and was in a popular Starkville store over the weekend and heard 2 moms gossiping about their daughters who are about to start recruitment. OUTLOUD they were talking about some of their daughter's friends that have been "acting a little wild" and that they would be "lucky" to even be invited to "the Delta house" at this point. THEN one mom said she "prayed my daughter's picks KD." I just stared at them clearly wearing my letters. DO NOT listen to what your mom, sister, aunt, friend, WHOEVER wants you to do. THEY don't have to live your choice daily for 4 years, YOU DO. The people who love you will eventually be happy and get over it if you don't pledge where they wanted you to. But you'll end up unhappy wishing you were somewhere else because you know you truly don't fit in. PLEASE do what makes YOU happy. And tell your mothers to shut the heIl up, we're listening and watching :)

By: Listen to YOU
#5  by: My advice   

Wear cute yet comfortable shoes! The same goes for shorts! Don't try squeezing into a size that is too tight because you will be miserable all day! Don't forget that you will be wearing the same thing for hours on end!
Include a box of ziplock sandwich bags In you dorm packing. Purses and phones are not allowed and will be left in your dorm room each day during recruitment parties. The bags will be used to carry your necessities and ID/keys for the day. Buy a couple of travel size deodorants and put one in the bag each day (I say several because they can actually melt in the heat)! Also think about using a tube lip gloss instead of tube lipstick for the week (yeah, tubes of lipstick melt too)! My biggest advice is remember your manners and be your best self! Once you arrive at the Panhellenic tent you will be there until your last party is complete or longer SOOOOO come with a positive attitude, be considerate of others, be kind, smile, be empathetic (look it up if needed), and show patience. Everyone will be hot and tired, not just you. There will be girls who will cry because their favorite house releases them. Be prepared to see a few tears. Be supportive, kind, and empathetic!!! Please! A simple smile can be very reassuring during these times. Recruitment can be hot, frustrating, and at times boring (under the tent for hours) but on Bid Day it will be worth it! Being a member of my sorority has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life!

By: My advice
#6  by: Ok   

True stories:

Hometown girls in a sorority tell you "If you pledge another sorority we will not be friends anymore." No true friend would ever say anything like that so don't let that type statement sway your decision! My friend let it sway her decision and she regretted it.

"We are the most Christian group on sorority row". False! All groups have bible studies and Christian girls. A few groups continually post on social media about mission trips and bible studies... these groups do not hold a monopoly on Christian women!

One friend was told "If you pledge here we will make sure you are on the Homecoming Court". If that's your goal in college then go for it but you never know how many other girls are being fed the same line.

Bottom line... do what is best for YOU and where you feel at home no matter what anyone tells you on Pref night!

By: Ok
#7  by: Advice    

Think twice about choosing a sorority where they use negative comments about other sororities to sway you. Sororities should be sharing only positive aspects about themselves and Greek life in general. This is especially true on pref night when PMNs are making their final decisions. If a sorority does this you are seeing their TRUE colors.

By: Advice
#8  by: Bump   

Bump

By: Bump
#9  by: Bump   

Bump

By: Bump

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.