facebook

new sorority

by: colonization

I just saw an article from 2003 that said that AOPi was colonzing here. Does anyone know why they didn't go through with it? It seemed like the decision was final by what was said in the article, but obviously they aren't here.

And I just saw on wikipedia that Kappa is colonizing in 2016??? I had no clue! Can someone confirm this?

Posted By: colonization
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: MSU   

The incoming PNMs were told at Spring Preview day during Super Bulldog Weekend that Kappa had decided it would no longer be colonizing at MSU. I have never heard a definitive reason for their change of heart, only rumors.

By: MSU
#2  by: sorority   

Until MS State Panhellenic and the MS State Greek system at can be supportive and fair to all sororities, no one else will choose to colonize here. Kappa reviewed the situation and did their homework and decided against colonizing. Wise decision......

By: sorority
by: ???Jun 17, 2015 6:48:16 AM

Please elaborate on how MSU Panhellenic is unfair to any sororities. Unless you are willing to give facts such a condemning comment should not be made.

By: ???
by: @???Jun 17, 2015 10:29:17 PM

Just look at our discussion board and the rankings. Or how the whole situation was handled with ADPi...

It's really hard to get girls to join a new chapter in MS when everyone talks about the same few chapters that are in every university in MS.... Or how they can't do that great or win anything for a long time because "they are new" and "it's been this way for a long time and won't change anytime soon."

Just my random thoughts.

By: @???
by: @@???Jun 17, 2015 11:22:40 PM

Our Greek system is strong and thriving. Sororities have colonized at Ole Miss and Bama within the past few years. Have you read their rankings and discussion sections on here? MSU's level of competitiveness is mild compared to them. Our groups are generally supportive of each other. Look how most of them work together during Homecoming elections. They are also very supportive of each other's philanthropic fundraisers - some even use their own Instagram and Twitter accounts to raise awareness and encourage attendance at events hosted by other sororities. This shows a very supportive Greek system.

By: @@???
by: @???Jun 22, 2015 8:07:59 AM

But potential chapters that are looking into state to colonize are not going to look at Ole Miss and Bama And say...lets go to State instead because they are nicer. They will look at when homecoming hits 7 sororities put up candidates together and one house runs separately. Or see that a nationally strong sorority (kappa) is no longer colonizing. And that the strongest houses are those that are all along the state. Hence why when ADPi colonized here they also did at Ole Miss. Which will help their chapter at Southern.

That's why Theta struggles at Ole Miss. They are "new" (1979). 10 years after DG here and the only chapter in the state. And why Zeta, who used to be the top house in the 80s, is now lower.

Again, just my thoughts.

By: @???
by: yeahJun 22, 2015 10:49:03 AM

A lot of our chapters in state do vary depending on the others. I think DDD being a top house at Ole Miss and Southern has pulled DDD here up a little bit. And Zeta doing so bad at Ole Miss in the past pulled Zeta here down. The thing about ADPi is, if all 3 chapters aren't doing so great, how are any of them going to get better?

By: yeah
by: Adpi alumJun 22, 2015 11:18:52 AM

The problem lies within the national ADPi headwuarters. They do not communicate well with the panhellenic at all three universities. Until their policies change, the three chapters here will struggle. It's been that way for 30 years. And I hate it!

By: Adpi alum
#3  by: From GreekChat   

AOPi came to campus to colonize (right after Alpha Gamma Delta closed), but they pulled out due to lack of interest -- they did the first round of recruitment and then their own interviews and pref, but they bid just 40 girls. (Of course, this was before recruitment numbers blew up everywhere and RFM wasn't in wide use yet.)

By: From GreekChat
by: OPJun 19, 2015 10:31:48 PM

So, they were on campus for a little bit? When did they close? I know wikipedia isn't always correct, but they didn't have AOPi on the list of sororities that have been on our campus. And I just checked again and they don't have Alpha Gam listed either (but they do have Kappa listed which is the only sorority on the list that isn't currently on campus). I just ran into an article from 2003 that said that AOPi was for sure colonizing, but then I never saw them on the wikipedia list and got confused.

By: OP
by: @OPJun 19, 2015 11:47:24 PM

AGD was definitely on campus- their old house is currently the Delta Chi house.

By: @OP
by: @OPJun 27, 2015 2:53:28 PM

Yes and no -- they colonized but then AOPi national closed the colony. They were never actually chartered.

By: @OP
by: Alpha GamJun 27, 2015 2:54:56 PM

Was active from 1991 to 2003.

By: Alpha Gam
#4  by: Stupid sites   

Like this can't help the cause for new sororities. We can preach all we want about being supportive of one another, but it is not reflected on this board. And frankly, I don't think we are supportive. A sorority other than the usual suspects wins something and the board lights up with criticism. It looks like we like the status quo and don't want it to change. No wonder Kappa said thanks but no thanks. MSU greek life needs an attitude adjustment.

By: Stupid sites
by: ???Jun 23, 2015 11:26:23 AM

I haven't seen anyone upset when ZTA won Miss MSU a few years ago or when Tri Delt won Homecoming Queen this year. I also saw no rude comments about Pi Phi placing 3rd in Limelight or Tri Delt placing 2nd in DD lip sync.

By: ???

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.