facebook

Honest advice for OOR girls

by: Helper

Please understand that when people say "out of state" it doesn't necessarily mean they are talking about far out of state. Out of state usually refers to girls coming in from nearby southern states, TN, AL, GA, LA, and even FL. Yes states like KY, SC, TX, VA, and NC are in the south but are considered a gray area because honestly, if you are driving 8-14 hours to come to State it's not really the same as the other girls. And then we have far out of state, known as out of region girls from the north, midwest, west coast...
If you are an out of region girl please don't be offended or upset when all the top houses cut you. There are way too many girls with in house connections through hs and camps all trying to pull their friends in. Great girls with strong resumes and attitudes will be completely overlooked because it's a numbers game. Please please please don't take it personally!! Instead, keep an open mind, don't put the non top houses below the line, and don't take cuts personally. You WILL find a home here at MSU. Please don't get caught up in the tiers. Recruitment for you is very different than recruitment for everyone else. Maximize your chances. Let me say that again... MAXIMIZE YOUR CHAMCES. Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Kappa Delta, and Phi Mu (alphabetical order) take 1-4 out of region girls every year. Think about that. Of the 80 bids handed out, just 2 may be to out of region girls, and those 2 have inside ppl helping them or they havea very unique hook. Many of the OOR girls are devastated when they only have 2 houses left on philanthropy day because they dropped other houses early on. First day cuts are GPA, recs and reps. (Yes, some houses do still require recs) If you don't have 20+ from those 4 houses following you rn, then you are not highly sought after and you will be dropped after day 2 or 3.
Now reread this post and think on it. You need to do what's best for you. There are great girls in every house. I'm trying to point these things out so you go in with your eyes open and you have a realistic plan and expectations.
MSU is amazing and I would like everyone to have an amazing recruitment experience.

Posted By: Helper
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Exactly why    

This is exactly why the only difference between Chi O , KD , DG , Phi Mu ( considered top tier ) and DDD ,ADPi and ZTA ( considered middle tier ) is where you are from. I’m in a (considered middle tier house ) and love that I am making new lifetime friends and I am not in 13th grade again. DDD , ADPi and ZTA have gained from having top pmn’s from other states join them.

By: Exactly why
by: hear thisAug 14, 2023 11:12:57 AM

every girl should be able to find a home in one of these sororities. instead of dropping out, give the lower houses like pi phi and zeta tau alpha a chance.

By: hear this
by: BruhAug 14, 2023 8:42:56 PM

Zta took 120 girls last year and pbp took 104 compared to 70 at xo, kd, dg and 80 at pm, adp, and ddd.

Of course zta and pbp are the ones who'd give out snap bids to girls who drop.

By: Bruh
#2  by: anon   

I agree however... If you are a PNM there are houses that take oor girls and are definitely great sororities as well. tbh not many people care about the tier system at state after recruitment is over and all sororities can be good fits you just have to trust that you will end in the right place

By: anon
#3  by: maximize???   

How does a pnm "maximize" her chances? What does this even mean? The sororities do the choosing. Pnm's don't drop houses because pnm's ranks are just ranks, and are only relevant if she would happen to get more invitations than allowed for a round. A pnm's chances are automatically "maximized" for her, so what is the actual specific advise here?

By: maximize???
by: ^Jul 19, 2022 12:06:00 PM

I guess

By: ^
by: @maximize???Jul 19, 2022 2:20:25 PM

If a girl knows her chances are slim to none of being offered a bid at a "top" house then she should seriously think about putting them below the line on day one. That way she maximizes her options with all the houses that are actually interested in her.
Many OOR make it through first day cuts with chi o, kappa delta, and delta gamma only to be drop by them immediately afterwards. I personally recommend (for OOR) to keep the others when ranking day one.

By: @maximize???
by: explainedJul 19, 2022 3:56:30 PM

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Here's where the "maximize" term came from: It's old, from back in the days when rush was different and pnm's could actually pick and choose which sororities they wanted to return to in their next round. Pnm's would make the cuts early on and not even return to the maximum number of houses they were allowed to in each round. They were not "maximizing their chances". They were cutting too many houses too early. Meanwhile, the sororities were waiting to make their huge cuts right before pref, and so many pnm's were then dropped completely. If those pnm's had given some other sororities a chance and returned to all the houses they could have for each round, they would have had a much better chance at getting a bid. This is where the term comes from but still gets used now even though it really isn't relevant any more. Rush is so much better now with the RFM system.

By: explained
by: @explainedJul 19, 2022 9:19:55 PM

They aren't talking about that "maximize" but are talking about how unknown girls with no in house pull nor a hint of a top house having interest in them should recognize that they have a slim to none chance of getting a bid from a top house.

The advise is to go to all the houses whom they have a shot at getting a bid from as many times as possible. And that means putting the houses they have no chance with below the line early on.

By: @explained
#4  by: Whoops   

I guess OP meant don't drop out if you don't like your choices and don't SIP if you make it to pref.

By: Whoops
#5  by: Whoops   

I guess OP meant don't drop out if you don't like your choices and don't SIP if you make it to pref.

By: Whoops
#6  by: pay attention oor   

If you are a far out of state pnm or an out of state pnm with no in house connections, this is how to interpret the interest of a house by the number of actives following you.

0 Just like the number, you have zero chance if it is a top house.

1-3 They got your rec, noticed you on social media, or a mutual friend mentioned you and they are curtesy following you. This is a standard looksie into you. If a top house, then no real interest.

6-10 After a little research into you, the recruitment team liked what they saw and pushed your info to other girls in the house. You are considered on their radar and an active may have reached out to you.

10-15 Definite interest. Some actives will be liking your posts and one or more reached out to you. Some houses (not many) follow the rule of not reaching out or commenting on posts if they don’t already know you personally.

20+ You are a highly sought-after pnm for this house. Don’t screw it up during recruitment.

Clearly, this is not scientific but pretty much how PNMs should interpret new follows by actives in a particular house. It’s definitely true for the top 4 houses and many of the middle houses.

By: pay attention oor
by: LolJul 19, 2022 4:19:40 PM

Yeah this couldn’t be more wrong

By: Lol
by: PnmJul 20, 2022 6:53:07 PM

Based on my follows likes & comments this doesn’t make sense given who has &hasn’t interacted. If the tiers I’ve seen here are even remotely accurate my IG “interest”looks like complete chaos. Is that normal? Do some chapters not do this?

By: Pnm
#7  by: Bad Advise   

DO NOT DO THIS: Whoever commented that "If a girl knows her chances are slim to none of being offered a bid at a "top" house then she should seriously think about putting them below the line on day one" clearly doesn't understand the process. What they have described is nothing more than a pnm ranking herself through someone else's eyes. How stressful and complicated! No pnm should attempt to self-eliminate from any house's consideration; it will not get you invited back anywhere else. You can't go through your rush week making the sororities' decisions for them, you can only decide for yourself so don't base them on hearsay. And the sororities have no idea how any pnm ranks them, so that is not a consideration for them ever.

The algorithm will "maximize" your chances for you. The first thing that happens when houses drop a pnm is that they are removed from her list completely. It doesn't matter if she ranked them low or high, they are now gone. Then the algorithm considers all of the houses who do invite her back, whether they are 'below the line’ on her list or not, and gives her as many houses back as possible based on the allowed amount per round.

So, the algorithm will not drop houses from your schedule just because you rank them below the line, and you will get these houses back automatically if needed to fill your schedule. Your rankings actually only come into play if more houses want to ask you back than are allowed for that round. In that case, the algorithm drops your 'below the line' houses for you. But this very rarely happens; most pnm's get cuts at all rounds, and you can't second guess them so rank how you feel about the houses and if you would want to belong.

By: Bad Advise
by: YesJul 22, 2022 8:35:11 AM

This is accurate. I have no clue why people are downvoting. Please just rank with your heart and what is supposed to happen will happen. Don’t try to play the system.

By: Yes
#8  by: gotcha   

Looks like some of the "top tier" houses are nervous!!!!
Don't listen to them. They are worried about their return rate. It's total bragging rights to say 98% of the pnms put xyz sorority above the line.
PNMs, you need to look out for yourselves and not play into the lies of "top tier" house comments. If you don't have a ton of actives from a top house following you I can absolutely promise 99% of you will not receive a bid from them. NO CAP
You have the most control on day 1 rankings and pref day rankings!!!! You do what is best for YOU, not what top want you to do to make themselves look good.

By: gotcha
#9  by: @BadAdvise   

"clearly doesn't understand the process. What they have described is nothing more than a pnm ranking herself through someone else's eyes"
-I absolutely do understand the process. You are lying to pnms. The house 100% looks out for them self and so should the pnms. The houses rank through their eyes, and pnms do to. But I think they should do it with their eyes open to their reality.

"No pnm should attempt to self-eliminate from any house's consideration; it will not get you invited back anywhere else."
-That is exactly why pnms are able to rank and hope that all of those above the line invite them back. Why else would the order of the houses below the line matter. Every time they put a house below the line they are "self-eliminating"

"You can't go through your rush week making the sororities' decisions for them"
-Ummm, why else does a pnm have the ability to rank houses in order below the line. So they can have some input into who they see back. But you want the house to have ALL the power and keep oor pnms blind to the fact that 99% will be never receive a bid by a top 3 house. As of today, the top 3 houses already know who 85% of their targeted pnms are.

"And the sororities have no idea how any pnm ranks them, so that is not a consideration for them ever."
-LIE! The pres and recruitment chair are given return rate numbers every morning. Total bragging rights when a house sees 95% return rate and they were able to cut a ton more girls than other houses.

"Your rankings actually only come into play if more houses want to ask you back than are allowed for that round."
-Exactly! And pnms have the most power day one and after they attend preference. Unknown out of region girls should be giving the "lower tiered houses" a chance by putting them above the line on day one.

It's funny how alumnae and actives preach "keep an open mind" but really you want them to do it on your terms. They need to keep an open mind because we all know that they will be dropped from top houses and must "keep an open mind" to accept a bid from a lower house, so please practice what you preach.
I am saying that they should keep an open mind to the lower houses by not putting them below the line on day one. How in the world do you have a problem with that????

By: @BadAdvise
#10  by: Perspective    

It is a numbers game. The PNM’s strategy should be to maximize her options. In this case, this means to get the maximum number of invitations every round, which should enable her to make a more informed decision after prefs. If she is realistic with herself, and understands that , for whatever reason, her chances with a most desired sorority are slim, it might prove to her advantage to place them below the line. This becomes even more important as rush week marches on and the number of parties decrease, because if she is ranking as #1 those chapters where she actually stands a better chance of receiving a bid, she is more likely to have a full party list. Too many times girls shoot themselves in the foot by listing the popular houses as #1 and ranking houses where they would actually fit in, so those houses fall off her list. Eventually those top houses are going to drop them, and they’ll be left with few or no invitations.

By: Perspective
by: TruthAug 5, 2022 12:03:07 PM

182% listen to this advice

By: Truth
by: ActiveMay 19, 2023 9:24:17 AM

Great advice, wish I had known when I was a pnm

By: Active

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.