facebook

pnms- changes in rush

by: Msu

Panhellenic made LOTS of changes this year!
Quota is based on chapter size. Basically the top 3 have a quota of about 70-75. Phi mu has 80. Pi phi, tri delt have 85, zeta has 90, and ADPi has 125. (Approximately these numbers aren't perfect but they're basically close). This is to help smaller chapter become equal in size with larger chapters.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR PNMS:
1. Legacy status means absolutely nothing anymore. The top 4 are rushing top girls from all over Mississippi.
2. Only 1-2 MAYBE 3 from each area will get a bid. Example: XO may normally take 5 girls from prep, 4 from Madison Central, and 2 from MRA, this year they would look at 1-2 from Madison and 1-2 from Jackson. Top houses need top girls from all over the state and cannot afford only getting a group from one area.
3. Upperclassmen have an even smaller chance at the top 4.
4. Out of state girls will have a hard time too. Top 4 like to look out for their Mississippi girls so they can use them for rush in the following years.

5. GIRLS WILL GET TO EXPERIENCE GREAT HOUSES THEY NORMALLY WOULD CUT BECAUSE ITS NOT A "TOP 4" AND FIND AMAZING SISTETHOODS.

Keep open minds, even if you open your schedule and find some houses you didn't expect to cut you had released you. It will all work out. Good luck!!

Posted By: Msu
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: What   

Where is your information from? Please be specific.

By: What
by: MsuAug 2, 2016 1:30:24 AM

From Panhellenic. They're sending letters to the girls kinda explaining it but not actually saying how few spots top houses have. Also they told advisors it was up to them to tell their chapter or not and if they don't tell their chapter that they're bound to hear it from down the row sometime this week. Alums are also getting letters from some houses.

By: Msu
#2  by: Hmmmm   

This explanation doesn't make sense. I want a specific source in Panhellenic. Alumni have not heard this as they are not involved, for the most part, in day to day operations of rush. If this is true, it was planned weeks, months ago. It is not something just dropped in the sororities laps the week before rush. So, be more specific. I want the details as to why this was done and at whose directive. Otherwise, it's hearsay.

By: Hmmmm
#3  by: Nice try   

If you know anything about National Panhellenic Recruitment rules then you know this post is completely false. NPC establishes how quota is determined on any campus who operates under their umbrella and MSU most certainly does. Now if chapters are below campus total they could receive more new members to bring the chapter to campus total. Do a little research and GOOGLE the National Panhellenic Policy Manual. Read the entire section on Quota and Campus Total and you will see this post is total BS.

By: Nice try
#4  by: Lol   

I won't say I told you so after rush but..... The OP is telling the truth.

By: Lol
#5  by: Tuth   

sororitys have been told there will be swinging quota based off of how many people sign pref cards the numbers are not set. It has been done at a couple of other schools and it is an attempt to stabilize the Greek system as houses do not need 400-500 girls. Also once the Greek system is stabilized (mainly adpi) than another sorority can think about colonizing.

By: Tuth
by: HmmAug 2, 2016 11:08:38 PM

Still not buying it because higher release numbers earlier in the week would be required by the largest groups. Yes, a campus Panhellenic will try hard to help all houses succeed but not to the detriment of other houses. I do not mean this as a slam of ADPi but this past year they didn't even have the numbers to make quota. PNMs will just end up dropping out of recruitment or refusing their bid which hurts the entire Greek system. If we want ADPi to be successful it is our responsibility to stop the negative comments.

By: Hmm
#6  by: sorority   

The quota is completely true. It promotes this OVERLY politically correct ideal that everyone should just be equal. We won't even need tiers anymore because hey, it just isn't FAIR to smaller chapters with bad reps!

By: sorority
by: sororityAug 3, 2016 4:30:50 AM

So, It is just the smaller chapters that have bad reps at State? Ugh, No....There are several chapters at State that are not at Panhellenic total. If this is true, it is a wise decision to help make our Greek community stronger. Something similar is being done at many SEC schools to help the chapters that are new get started and be successful. No other sorority will ever want to come to MSU until we ( sorority members ) not Panhellenic , but we as sorority members support one another instead of post mean and hateful comments. Insecurity, much?

by: MSU Aug 3, 2016 4:46:21 AM

Seriously, one of the largest groups on campus has the worst reputation of ALL the sororities and I wont name it by name. When the Greek community talks so negatively about newer chapters, it does hurt them. Pi Phi was having difficulties growing until ADPi came to campus. Both are powerhouse national sororities. ADPi in the SEC and many Southern schools and Pi Phi is very strong in Arkansas, Texas, LA and in many SEC schools. All of our sororities who are not at total are great groups. The negativity of our greek community is the problem. The top tier sororities here have chapters all over the country that are struggling, too.

By: MSU
by: Mm Aug 3, 2016 7:24:34 AM

If true I disagree with your politically correct view. If true the reason would be to keep sorority size in control. The sororities at Ole Miss have over or close to 400 members and my friends there don't even know all of their sisters. They remain in a sorority for the parties and to say "I'm a ____". MSU sororities are currently a good size to have strong sisterhood and connections. If other sororities are hesitant to colonize on our campus we must make it more appealing to them by strengthening the entire Greek system.

By: Mm
#7  by: Just saying   

They tried to reason with Panhellenic saying how just girls will drop and go to ole miss or quit all together but they didn't care. Also ole miss is doing this in the fall too when they do rush. OP is right. They told our chapter this morning.

By: Just saying
by: Greek Aug 3, 2016 6:33:04 PM

Why reason? All eight sororities on campus are great options for any pmn. They should be happy to receive a bid from any of them. If they think they are too good for phi mu, Pi phi, Adpi , tri delt or zeta , then let them go to ole miss.

By: Greek
#8  by: Uhhh   

Yeah but that doesn't just hurt those girls it hurts our Greek life as a whole...

By: Uhhh
#9  by: So?   

So you're all salty that the bottom tier houses have a chance to better themselves? You just want to walk all over the bottom houses. You want them to stay down so you can be on top. For God's sake stop being so selfish! This isn't high school! Let the bottom houses have a good recruitment! It's not like the top houses aren't getting new members. No house wants 400+ girls anyway. ADPi is like 60 people strong, they need a bigger pledge class for sure. And if we get ADPi established then we can get other houses and have an EVEN BIGGER GREEK COMMUNITY. And these changes don't go for just MSU, it goes for every campus. It's a new NATIONAL Panhellenic rule. So everyone calm down.

By: So?
by: !Aug 4, 2016 2:44:04 PM

Not worried about top houses and yes, 400 is TOO big. My concern is with the PNMs who are likely to drop out if this is true. Like it or not, it's going to be very hard to convince many of them to accept a bid to a struggling house. I'm not sure what the answer is but I don't think this solution will work.

By: !
by: NAug 4, 2016 7:47:51 PM

The only one who sounds salty is you. People aren't worried about the lower houses if anything this is harmful to them because it forces them to be less selective. Last year ADPI took 70 girls by choice because they wanted quality pnms over quantity. With these numbers they will literally be forced to take every single girl that walks through their doors even if they don't want them. if anything this just reinforces the top houses and the tier system.... The top houses are the most selective and hardest to get into and now they just got 10x more selective. Where the lower houses are forced to take anyone.... I personally feel this is just a step backwards for no reason and a lot of girls will be crying on bid day.

By: N
by: State Aug 4, 2016 9:31:10 PM

I can assure you ADPi will be very strict with grades and reputation risks, just as they were last year. The only way to build a successful new chapter is to adhere to those policies. If you are the new kid on the block, everyone is quick to be critical. Instead of being critical, we need to support one another. There are plenty of quality pmn's for everyone. The top chapters at state have chapters struggling at other sec schools. This system will be implemented at many schools and already has been. Their greek systems become stronger as a whole because of it.

By: State
#10  by: J   

Sadly ADPI can't be hard on reputation or grade risks this year...not if they want to meet their quota of almost 130. They have to lower their standards greatly in order to meet that ridiculous number. Lowering their standards won't do anything but hurt them even more. No one wants to be apart of the sorority that takes literally everyone. Panhellenic is just making it harder for lower houses to fix themsleves if they have to take all the girls nobody else wants

By: J
by: sororityAug 4, 2016 10:45:27 PM

This system is to help all houses that are not at total which are at least 5 of them. You are clueless when it comes to ADPi's policies. They aren't top in most SEC schools by luck....

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.