facebook

anything i should know?

by: The Californian

I'm really excited to rush at Bama but I'm from California where sororities aren't really a huge thing. I have a high GPA and tons of volunteer hours but I have no alumnae to get recommendations from and have never been coached in the art of rushing (I mean I don't own anything Lily Pulitzer). Is there any tips I should know to help my chances of getting a bid? How accepting are the houses of out of state girls?

Posted By: The Californian
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Yas!   

California girls
We're undeniable
Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
West Coast represent
Now put your hands up
Oooooh Oh Ooooo

By: Yas!
by: ,,,Jul 25, 2015 3:33:03 PM

Well East coast girls are hip
I really dig those styles they wear
And the Southern girls with the way they talk
They knock me out when I'm down there

The Mid-West farmer's daughters really make you feel alright
And the Northern girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night

I wish they all could be California
I wish they all could be California
I wish they all could be California girls

By: ,,,
#2  by: @yAs   

I am a California girl too. I will not tell you what house I am in, but will share this: all houses except a couple on old row, have a decent amount of California girls. To me, it appears most pnms from Cali end up in the following (but there is not a "California house"): KD, Theta, DG, Alpha Phi, Pi Phi, Gamma Phi, Phi Mu.

By: @yAs
#3  by: hm   

Just FYI, being from California is NO excuse for not having recs. There are sorority women everywhere all over the country. I could understand if you struggled to find one for a few chapters that aren't as common there, but seriously? NONE????? I'm going to be blunt here - you did not try hard enough! PNMs from all over work their butts off to get recs because they want it so badly. It is easier for some girls, who might have tons of greeks in their family and all their mom's best friends are greeks, and it's harder for some girls who will be the first greeks, or even college students, in their families. But they get it done somehow.

I'm really not trying to sound mean, but you should have at least been able to find at least a few if you looked at all. Your friends' moms, your mom's friends, your grandmother's friends, your teachers, your coaches, your neighbors, ladies at your church, post a Facebook post about it, etc. and if all else fails, then the closest Panhellenic association to you.

But anyways, you will not be an outcast because you are from Cali and because you don't wear Lilly (tons of girls don't wear Lilly). There are quite a few California girls in our sororities, even in the houses known for having more in state girls. Just go through recruitment and see where you fit in. You will find your place! :)

By: hm
#4  by: Cali    

I know Cali is supposed to be laid back and all, but no recs at all and just now tuning in? How long have you been confirmed to Bama? Are you sure about this? You actions or lack thereof on preparing tells houses something about you and it is not a great start.

But I know girls who went through recruitment on a lark and love Greek life. Others wish they did not waste the time, emotions and energy.

By: Cali
#5  by: Active    

Look, last I checked there were 150+ girls rushing from California. You're not doing yourself a favor by not having recs. i don't have much advice to give but good luck, because you really will need it.

By: Active

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.