facebook

drops

by: Pnm

So I read on here that "more desired" houses will release more girls on iwt than other houses. Why doesn't every house drop the same amount of girls each round? It doesn't really seem fair to me? Can anyone explain this?

Posted By: Pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: it's   

it's not like an official panhellenic policy, it's just a strategy. the less desired sororities don't want to make huge cuts the first round because they don't know how many PNMs will want to come back to their house, and they don't want to risk cutting 1000 girls and then only having 150 girls coming back for philanthropy (that's an exaggeration but you get the idea). They're trying to maximize how many girls they can have come back

By: it's
by: backfiresJul 22, 2015 2:13:38 PM

It backfires (and backfired last year) on some of old row houses that think they are more desired than they actually are (like they cut a 1000 assuming they will be selected by a bunch but in reality they get cut by the pnms). Then the house is playing catch up. This is how snap bids end up happending.

By: backfires
by: @backfiresJul 22, 2015 7:20:17 PM

cough cough, KD

By: @backfires
by: ActuallyJul 22, 2015 9:36:26 PM

Actually it is an official panhellenic policy. Every house has a release figure for each round. It is called RFM (release figure methodology) and is in use by panhellenic at most of the big schools throughout the US. It is designed to require houses with high return rates to be realistic at the beginning about who they want to keep so that the houses with lower return rates have a chance to fill their pledge classes.

By: Actually
by: WrongJul 26, 2015 6:45:27 AM

Panhellenic gives each house a number. The number is based on the average return rate from years past. The house must abide by the set number.
DON'T give out incorrect information.

By: Wrong
by: @Actually and @WrongJul 26, 2015 1:27:59 PM

I'm about to go through recruitment on the other side and I genuinely did not know so I wasn't intentionally giving out incorrect information. I apologize

By: @Actually and @Wrong
#2  by: ""   

Houses are given a total number of releases, based on how they did the last few years, that they need to make each round by Panhellenic. It isn't optional. Panhellenic says how many to drop so that most of the sororities make quota. They don't want girls falling in love with houses they logistically have no chance of getting a bid from at the end of the week.

By: ""
#3  by: well   

If the top houses kept all the girls that wanted them the first couple of rounds it would be a disaster. If those girls dropped all the lower houses, then when cuts did have to be made, maybe 800 girls would be completely dropped from recruitment because they didn't have any houses to go back to. This way, girls have an opportunity to process that they're not getting AXO and have time to fall in love with Theta or Gamma Phi. And really, it works. Of course the shallow girls who are looking for rank not sisterhood may leave recruitment when they are dropped by their five favorites. But the the others eventually do adjust and most find a true home and the sisterhood they want.

By: well

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.